Author Topic: How many LG-1s are in service with the reserves? And where?  (Read 34224 times)

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: How many LG-1s are in service with the reserves? And where?
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2015, 15:51:06 »
Well we know GD has turretless versions of the lav, would it require a lot of work to turn one into a mortor carrier? Kind of a bison 2.0
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Online Petard

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Once a gunner, always a gunner
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2015, 16:02:22 »
We (see cap badge on left) have two.

Shh. Don't tell anyone.

When it comes to the C1s', the PEIR have nothing to be proud about; if that stings, so be it, they earned it.

Fascinating that the powers that be have entrusted the PEIR with the LG1; they were not supposed to get any, largely for the dismal way they'd treated the C1's
That they had the honour of looking after the Artillery's colours definitely escaped many in that unit when they had the C1s.
Year after year of inspection reports, telling what god awful shape they were in, don't lie. Perhaps they learned their lesson (but I doubt it)

The gun salutes in Charlottetown were supposed to be done by 1st or 3rd Fd, when necessary; guess that didn't work out (funds and availability I suppose), and they'd rather take the risk of the LG1s being treated as crappy as the C1s were

Re the question on whether a 120 mortar fits the need, I don't know, my personal view is no. The need has to be better defined, I suppose.
IMO, the need is for a means that provides training P Res, that minmizes the training delta for P Res Gnrs FG to Reg F units, and those units have towed artillery. There are huge differences between the TTP of deploying mortars and towed training, but things are so bad, just nailing down the actual need, and timelines, would be good a start
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 20:12:00 by Petard »

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2015, 16:32:15 »
My preference is for towed Howitzers, but large Mortars will do and then we can push the 81's back to the PBI where they belong.

Offline GnyHwy

• is a pragmatic optimist.
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • GO GUNS!!!
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2015, 18:39:01 »
When it comes to the C1s', the PEIR have nothing to be proud about; if that stings, so be it, they earned it.

Fascinating that the powers that be have entrusted the PEIR with the LG1; they were not supposed to get any, largely for the dismissal way they'd treated the C1's
That they had the honour of looking after the Artillery's colours definitely escaped many in that unit when they had the C1s.

True story!

Offline blackberet17

• "The standard you walk past, is the standard you accept." - LGen David Morrison, Chief of Army, Australia
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2015, 09:30:11 »

Fascinating that the powers that be have entrusted the PEIR with the LG1; they were not supposed to get any, largely for the dismal way they'd treated the C1's
Year after year of inspection reports, telling what god awful shape they were in, don't lie. Perhaps they learned their lesson (but I doubt it)

The gun salutes in Charlottetown were supposed to be done by 1st or 3rd Fd, when necessary; guess that didn't work out (funds and availability I suppose), and they'd rather take the risk of the LG1s being treated as crappy as the C1s were

Re the question on whether a 120 mortar fits the need, I don't know, my personal view is no. The need has to be better defined, I suppose.
IMO, the need is for a means that provides training P Res, that minmizes the training delta for P Res Gnrs FG to Reg F units, and those units have towed artillery. There are huge differences between the TTP of deploying mortars and towed training, but things are so bad, just nailing down the actual need, and timelines, would be good a start

Before my time. Well, sorta. I was only in two years or so when the LG1s arrived. No exposure to the guns myself until my first Victoria Day salute.

What I do know is we are limited in space to store them, and don't have a devoted gun team to look after them, unfortunately.
« Ne vous occupez pas d'eux; ils ne savent pas tirer. [...] Il y a des ennemis devant nous, derrière nous et sur nos flancs. Il ne reste qu'une place sans danger, soit vers l'objectif. » Paul Triquet, VC

Online Petard

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Once a gunner, always a gunner
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2015, 10:50:16 »
What I do know is we are limited in space to store them, and don't have a devoted gun team to look after them, unfortunately.

All the more reason they shouldn't have been left in that unit's care

Offline blackberet17

• "The standard you walk past, is the standard you accept." - LGen David Morrison, Chief of Army, Australia
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2015, 11:57:44 »
Well, as you pointed out, Petard, "The gun salutes in Charlottetown were supposed to be done by 1st or 3rd Fd, when necessary". So, until a solution to this issue is determined (above both our pay grades), it will have to be SNAFU.
« Ne vous occupez pas d'eux; ils ne savent pas tirer. [...] Il y a des ennemis devant nous, derrière nous et sur nos flancs. Il ne reste qu'une place sans danger, soit vers l'objectif. » Paul Triquet, VC

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2015, 06:32:04 »
For the gunners here, would there be any benefit to replacing the C3 with some type of 120mm mortar system?
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2015, 10:17:10 »
Well other than having a modern indirect fire system compatible with our nearest ally, good terminal effect and no need for a honking big gun tractor, ummm no. As Petard pointed out, it would make transitioning to the Reg Force Arty harder.

Offline GnyHwy

• is a pragmatic optimist.
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • GO GUNS!!!
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2015, 15:02:26 »
Well other than having a modern indirect fire system compatible with our nearest ally, good very good terminal effect and no need for a honking big gun tractor, ummm no.

I would think that those are 4 pretty big reasons for it.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2015, 15:04:38 »
I'ze thinkz that your Sarcasm monitor is in need of adjustment  ;)

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2015, 16:46:03 »
We could always try selling this as a new item, just needs a shiny power point

Offline Eland2

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2015, 17:37:10 »
Or, how about something like this? It looks like it's not terribly expensive and could probably fit well into PRes artillery units.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y042UlZRxEo

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2015, 17:51:32 »
Or, how about something like this? It looks like it's not terribly expensive and could probably fit well into PRes artillery units.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y042UlZRxEo

I believe there was a previous discussion on this system a year or two ago.

http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,100292.msg1289791.html#msg1289791
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 17:54:20 by cupper »
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!