Author Topic: What makes a good Leader?  (Read 2517 times)

Offline Mediman14

• Rate Post
What makes a good Leader?
« on: March 14, 2018, 19:37:20 »
We all have been exposed to all different styles of leadership, some good and some bad, some we follow, some we disregard. I firmly believe leadership comes from experience, good listening skills, support from others plus many more. In the NCM world, they are given PD sessions, career courses to help along.
    This is not to take away from officers or any particular branch of the military, as there is some really good officers out there. But my question is, besides basic officer training, who instructs or who gives officer's PD sessions on leadership to officers? In my last 8 years of service, I have not seen one PD session geared towards leadership in officers.

Having a Degree does not make one into a great leader!

Offline Kerosen

• Rate Post
Re: What makes a good Leader?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 20:46:03 »
A good leader is not necesssary a good or a pretty soldier and not necessary someone that as gone threw some leadership courses, that as nothing to do with, we all know some a..h.... that are in leadership position, that shouldn't be there, and other that as natural aptitude to leadership without those leadership courses that you will follow your eyes shut because there are good ears, take right decison for the section or the peloton and not for them self to show Something !!!
Kerosen

Armoured soldier 
Homme d'équipage blindé

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 21:08:52 »
Officers do get leadership training along with their degrees. They are also mandated to do CAFJOD
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 21:29:57 »
A good leader is not necesssary a good or a pretty soldier and not necessary someone that as gone threw some leadership courses, that as nothing to do with, we all know some a..h.... that are in leadership position, that shouldn't be there, and other that as natural aptitude to leadership without those leadership courses that you will follow your eyes shut because there are good ears, take right decison for the section or the peloton and not for them self to show Something !!!

What did you just say? Please try English.

From what I read you've just completed basic training. I'm a bit perplexed on how you know so much about leadership. Could you enlighten me please?

I will tell you this: I have served for a number of years. I know what a good leader is and I know what a bad leader is. Training will improve leaders at all levels.

Once you have a few years in....please revisit this.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 23:12:18 »
Mods, this usefully could be put to bed. Before, let me add that I was commissioned at the age of 21 after serving in the ranks for 33 months and passing an intense 11 month log course. Leadership is an art and a science and a life long learning process. Believe me, as a young junior officer I lay awake at night worrying if I had or had not the ability to command Canadian troops, and I did the same throughout my career. And I am darn sure my colleagues did the same, at least those of us who cared deeply about our profession and our troops.

There was a phrase I learned at an early age - firm, fair and friendly - that is not a bad rule to follow. It, along with consistency and honesty, seemed to work, but also, it was vital to master your job. You never could be as good as your troops at their job, but you could be able to do their duties and they watched to see how well your pulled all their efforts together.

Oh, and in the gunner world, we junior officers stood outside in the rain while our troops cleaned the guns after a day firing. I don't know how many times we would see troops in deep discussion and then one or two would march up, salute and tell us they knew what we were doing, but we had our own duties to see to. They finished by telling us we needn't be there, but we did. We couldn't really explain why, but we always were the last out of the gun park. And we were at least as wet as they were.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 23:14:59 »
Mods, this usefully could be put to bed.

ok ( temporary ) lock.

If anyone has anything of interest to add to the discussion, please PM a moderator.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 00:17:24 by mariomike »