Author Topic: Critical Injury Benefit  (Read 38094 times)

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
Re: Critical Injury Benefit
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2015, 19:14:39 »

There is a "Rates" link, but it's a non-starter at this time.

I think it's strictly $70k as long as you meet the criteria but could be wrong.

Offline RobA

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2015, 20:49:49 »
Yeah, it's $70k or nothing.

I see now why they were so comfortable giving the (seeming) ridiculously low estimated number of 100ish by 2020.

So I'm guessing that lawsuit will be back on now. This award will be given out to almost nobody, the conditions the lawsuit was founded on still exist.

Offline dunlop303

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2015, 00:47:31 »
Well, I applied.

I'll keep you guys posted as usual. I hit three of the "must haves below", but who knows for sure.
Critical care is open for interpretation (Role 3 in Kandahar?) as is mobility assistance / bed transferring / complex care... ect. a lot of wiggle room.

if anyone gets any kind of feed back in the meantime it would be much appreciated!

Offline RobA

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2015, 08:05:24 »
Yeah same with me.

Injured on highway #1, flown in a Blackhawk to KAF hospital.  Stayed there abkut a week.

Don't know if thats "intensive care unit" but we'll see.

Offline dunlop303

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2015, 13:23:43 »
I was in role 3 for 7 days after being flown in via Blackhawk from panjwai ish area, then was flown to Bagram for 24hrs then to landshtule Germany for another week, and after that I was stable enough to fly but couldn't sit or walk so they sent one of Harper's little blue gov jets with a bed in it for me. Another 2 days in an Ontario hospital, the  rest at home for a few months before physio.

I'd like to hope it's a slam dunk on this benefit. But I am not getting my hopes too high.

Offline RobA

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2015, 18:43:59 »
Yeah, I don't want to get your hopes up either but yours sure sounds like a slam dunk to me. If a case like yours doesn't get it, then this award shouldn't even exist.

Mines much more borderline. If I get it, good, if not,  I'll survive lol. Not gonna lose any sleep over it either way.

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2015, 18:58:29 »
I"ll keep you guys in the loop as well was in the hospital for 6 months so I think I should qualify. I"m having some issues with the PDF download never opens for me. PDF is up to date. So might have to request an application through snail mail.

Offline dunlop303

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2015, 23:17:30 »
Might be your browser, it doesn't like anything but internet explorer. And your need to have Adobe set as your default pdf reader. I had to switch mine from bluebeam.

Thanks Rob, I'll keep u posted!

Offline dunlop303

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2015, 11:52:11 »
Got some information regarding turnaround times on applications, interesting few calls this morning. The 1st rep I had on the phone was all snooty, Sir.. the bill hasn't even passed yet, once it does you can apply not before then. Umm, Miss, it has passed, and ive already applied threw the apply now button on your website form VAC1033.

She puts me on hold and comes back embarrassed, and says well in my defense my boss has been on vacation. - Wow. So I said thanks anyway and sent them a message asking the same question so they could have a minute to get them selves sorted out.

The turnaround target on applications is within 12 weeks. - tic tock.. One week down and the rep I spoke to didn't even know the benefit existed, lol not a good start.

Offline blackberet17

• "The standard you walk past, is the standard you accept." - LGen David Morrison, Chief of Army, Australia
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2015, 12:05:12 »
Dunlop303

Not surprised. There has not been an official communiqué internally on the CIB. The last we got, dated 02 JUL 15, was on the Veterans Hiring Act, and on Enhanced Transition Services.

There was information posted to the internal Web set, but not everyone thinks to look there.

Disappointing and embarrassing a rep didn't have SA on it, but info has not been passed down all the same.
« Ne vous occupez pas d'eux; ils ne savent pas tirer. [...] Il y a des ennemis devant nous, derrière nous et sur nos flancs. Il ne reste qu'une place sans danger, soit vers l'objectif. » Paul Triquet, VC

Offline dunlop303

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2015, 15:09:16 »
Yep,

I wasn't hard on her or anything I told her not to feel bed it had just come out and I had been checking it daily.
I got an odd generic message today, I double checked via secure message that they have everything they need to detrmine my eligibility since its all based on evidence used in previous physical injury awards.

And I get this:

Veterans Affairs Canada
Sent: UTC 2015-07-08 18:35
Dear Mr.

Thank you for using My VAC Account and our secure E-mail services.

You will be contacted in the near future regarding this benefit.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact
us again via My VAC Account or our toll-free number 1-866-522-2122.

Sincerely,

Inquiries Analyst
Veterans Affairs Canada

You
Sent: UTC 2015-07-07 20:56
Thank you for the follow up,

The criteria that I believe entitles me to this benefit should
already be in the possession of Veterans Affairs Canada.
They were all noted on my most recent derision letter for traumatic
brain injury regarding nursing notes from 2007, diagnostic imaging
ect.

Can you confirm that I do not need to submit any further information,
since my entitlement is based on a disability award I received
for an IED strike that caused a broken pelvis and tailbone causing
helicopter evacuation to Role 3 intensive care in Kanadhar and
transferred roughly a week later to the military hospital in
Landshtule Germany.

Thank you,

Offline blackberet17

• "The standard you walk past, is the standard you accept." - LGen David Morrison, Chief of Army, Australia
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2015, 14:53:05 »
The generic reply, and you "should" receive a more "personal" response soon. I think the turnaround is five business days for a response, although as it is specific to the CIB, it may take a little longer.

This information was included in an e-mail to staff today. It expands on the criteria for eligibility.

For the purposes of determining eligibility for this benefit, applicants who present evidence demonstrating that at least one of the following criteria has been met shall be considered to have a severe impairment and severe interference in quality of life:

+ sustained an amputation at or above the wrist or ankle;
+ sustained legal blindness in both eyes - meaning that their best corrected visual acuity is less than or equal to 6/60 or they have less than 20 degrees of visual field remaining - for a minimum of 84 consecutive days;
+ sustained quadriplegia, paraplegia, hemiplegia or complete paralysis of a limb for a minimum of 84 consecutive days;
+ sustained total loss of urinary or bowel function for a minimum of 84 consecutive days;
+ required the assistance of at least one person to perform at least three activities of daily living for a minimum of 112 consecutive days;
+ was admitted to an intensive care unit for a minimum of five consecutive days;
+ was admitted to a hospital for acute or rehabilitative inpatient care for a minimum of 84 consecutive days; or
+ was admitted to a hospital for acute or rehabilitative inpatient care for less than 84 consecutive days during which the member or veteran received complex treatments.

It's only a little more detail from what I shared previously. And the days (84, 112) equate to the weeks used on the VAC web site (i.e., 12 weeks equals 84 consecutive days).
« Ne vous occupez pas d'eux; ils ne savent pas tirer. [...] Il y a des ennemis devant nous, derrière nous et sur nos flancs. Il ne reste qu'une place sans danger, soit vers l'objectif. » Paul Triquet, VC

Offline dunlop303

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2015, 13:25:59 »
Anything new on VAC's end that anyone know's about? I was considering calling in for an update but thought I would check here first.
I electronically submitted my application on July 2nd. Does anyone know if they are looking at them yet?

Thanks,

Offline blackberet17

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2015, 14:30:33 »
No word here, but I can make some inquiries of friends in Adjudication.

Note it will take some time before you receive a response. This is a new benefit, decisions will not be rushed as procedures and kinks are worked out.

Offline dunlop303

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2015, 15:09:02 »
Thanks that would be great. I wonder (and kind of hope) its not the same adjudicators that are backlogged with Disability Claims.

Thanks again,

Offline blackberet17

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2015, 09:21:22 »
Thanks that would be great. I wonder (and kind of hope) its not the same adjudicators that are backlogged with Disability Claims.

Thanks again,

Well, I hate to break it to you, but it inevitably is...while there is an advertised hiring process out there right now, Adjudication was also hit in the staffing cuts of the last four years. There was an advertised process back in Jan 15, which didn't bring in many applicants apparently, and then four more Disability Adjudicator/Benefit Adjudicator processes, one which just closed yesterday (sorry, I totally missed it: https://emploisfp-psjobs.cfp-psc.gc.ca/psrs-srfp/applicant/page1800?poster=823569).

The issue they are having in the hiring process is they changed the classification to NU roughly five years ago. Now, to be a Disability Adjudicator, you must have "Eligibility for Registration as a registered nurse in a province or territory of Canada." It really restricts the applicant pool when you target a specialized branch.

If you search through the archives, you'll find these same posters. Set your parameter to the VAC org, or else you'll get all the external posters.

Offline dunlop303

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2015, 10:20:29 »
They wont get any traction with the price range ($45,886 to $63,153), I know its a Fed job with a nice pension at the end of the tunnel.
But aside from new grads, actual nurses are all mostly 70k+.

Offline blackberet17

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2015, 10:34:21 »
They wont get any traction with the price range ($45,886 to $63,153), I know its a Fed job with a nice pension at the end of the tunnel.
But aside from new grads, actual nurses are all mostly 70k+.

Yup.

And most nurses LIKE what they do, and as they gain in seniority, they can choose their shifts and have more benefits than they would enjoy working here. And also have a nice pension at the end.

It's not a bad go for a retiring nurse, looking for a 0900-1700 type job. But it's very demanding, and there's a different level of stress up in Adjudication than almost anywhere else in the Department. If you're retiring, do you want that, after 20-plus years of it in another setting?

Offline blackberet17

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2015, 12:28:19 »
SITREP:

Since the beginning of the week, calls are being made to CIB potentially eligible personnel. Priority 1 is on those clients who are known to already be eligible for CIB, based on the medical evidence and benefit application history. Priority 2 is on clients who submit applications.

For personnel unsure if they are eligible, direction is to call the NCCN line (866-522-2122) or send a msg through your My VAC Account. There are some delays in responding, which are to be expected, due to volume and screening procedures.

Offline dunlop303

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2015, 10:57:05 »

I called in for an update on my application that was submitted on July 3rd for the CIB.
On July 20th, a summary was prepared for the adjudication team. The rep I spoke to today said adjudication on these is very short
as you either meet the criteria or don't so I could ideally expect a decision in the next week or two.

Anyone else have anything moving threw the system or have been called?

Offline RobA

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2015, 14:55:03 »
Still waiting. I've been waiting since early December for my PIA application though, so I'm not holding my breath.

Does seem like this is.moving faster though. Keep us posted.

Offline RobA

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2015, 08:58:05 »
Dunlop, does your application show up in  your My VAC account? I sent mine in around the same.time as you but it doesn't show up there at all.

I've also got a PIA application that isn't shown there (in the 'my applications' section). But i recently applied for voc rehab program and that shows up there.

Offline dunlop303

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2015, 11:25:11 »
Hi Rob,

Nope Just under submitted Doc's, and I think that only applies for electronically submitted documents.
But they don't get statuses or updated at all. I applied for a EIA as well, which also just shows up in the submitted Doc's.

They are able to update over the phone though, or at least they can tell you if the CIB has been prepped for adjudication.
As for the EIA that's an odd ball process, they send the application to my regional office to review. Then they sent it back to head office to prep the letter.
Apparently its back at head office now. I don't know who writes the process's over there lol.

Offline blackberet17

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2015, 12:10:37 »
Hi Rob,

Nope Just under submitted Doc's, and I think that only applies for electronically submitted documents.
But they don't get statuses or updated at all. I applied for a EIA as well, which also just shows up in the submitted Doc's.

They are able to update over the phone though, or at least they can tell you if the CIB has been prepped for adjudication.
As for the EIA that's an odd ball process, they send the application to my regional office to review. Then they sent it back to head office to prep the letter.
Apparently its back at head office now. I don't know who writes the process's over there lol.

EIA is slightly different as it usually requires a home visit, IOT assess your needs in person. Hence it going to the RO, then back to HO. The home visit entails the completion of the Nursing Assessment Form. I can't find an online copy, unfortunately, but it's a very comprehensive form, some eight pages in its un-filled, blank version. I've seen them run into the dozens of pages when completed.

There is also the Case Manager's assessment, which would also require the application be sent to the RO.

Chapter 7 of the 2006 Edition of the Table of Disabilities outlines part of the process.

As to the questions on what does/does not show up in MVA, I couldn't tell you. But I can certainly mention it when I'm asked to provide feedback! I've been helping with the new layout for MVA, and one thing under consideration is being able to see exactly what documents the Department used in arriving at its decision on your application, right from your account.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 12:39:42 by blackberet17 »

Offline RobA

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2015, 12:40:23 »
Anyone with any updates? I called last week and got the same answer as Dunlop: it's been moved to adjudication.  No ETA on a decision though.