Author Topic: RPA to take historical flight in Rockhampton airspace - The Morning Bulletin  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
THERE'S not many people who can say they've taken to the skies with their feet planted firmly on the ground - but not many have a job like Flight Lieutenant Joel Mortimer.

But it's this unique set of skills which will give the RAAF air vehicle operator, who has two tours of Afghanistan under his belt, the chance to make history on Monday.

Flt Lt Mortimer and fellow Flight Lieutenant Janelle Sheridan will be the first pair to fly the RAAF's Heron remotely piloted Unmanned Aircraft System in civilian airspace when it takes off from Rockhampton Airport.

This is a massive, and rightfully historic step in the right direction.   It's the first time in the world that an RPA of that size has flown integrated into civilian airspace - no restrictions or airspace buffers, just controlled by ATC like any other IFR aircraft.

http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/heron-to-take-historic-flight-in-rocky-airspace/2677300/

Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Online Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
Aussies certainly seem to be taking the lead in this regard.  With the accuracy and controllability of rPA/UAE control systems, the odds are likely greater that the aircraft will fully and accurately conform to ATC direction.

Dimsum, do you know if the Heron has been cited with TCAS?

Regards
G2G

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
OOOOhhh, I can just see the Oz version of Jade Helm tin foil brigade screaming about this.   :Tin-Foil-Hat:
I'm just like the CAF, I seem to have retention issues.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."