Author Topic: HMAS Tobruk finishes 34 years of service with a proud record of humanitarian wor  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
HMAS Tobruk (L 50) has been paid off after 34 years of service to the Royal Australian Navy.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-25/hmas-tobruk-finishes-34-years-of-service/6572120
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
Pfft. Only 34 years old? The Aussies obviously don't know how to get value out of their ships....  ;)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
HMAS Tobruk is now decommissioned:

After almost 35 years of dedicated service, the Royal Australian Navy’s humanitarian aid and disaster relief ship, HMAS Tobruk, was decommissioned at her homeport of Garden Island, in Sydney, today.

http://news.navy.gov.au/en/Jul2015/Events/2217/Fond-farewell-to-the-workhorse-of-the-Fleet.htm#.VbtA-niQ_qB
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Jungle

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
I sailed on it from Darwin on my way to Suai, East Timor. Cool ship.
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."
- John G. Diefenbaker. July 1, 1960. From the Canadian Bill of Rights.

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
I remember being on it - it was nicknamed the Tobroken because of its serviceability issues.  The biggest fear was the black water system; apparently it trapped poison gas in it and if you put your head in the toilet to puke, you could fatally inhale the gasses.  There were warning signs on each toilet!   :o
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr