Author Topic: Cant go away for my DP1 this summer - within good reason.  (Read 5198 times)

Offline bulletz

• Rate Post
I'll try to keep this as short as possible, before I joined the Army Reserves I attended a police academy, its been my goal since I was a child to be a police officer, I enjoy the military for the most part, but I always said I would put policing first. I was supposed to go on my infantry DP1 which starts in about a week, but today I received an email that Edmonton police services want to me to come in for the final part of the hiring in Edmonton July 20th, meaning I have to choose between doing my reserve force DP1 or a potential career i've always wanted. I'm choosing to take the risk and go to Edmonton.

My question is, when I call and explain tomorrow why I cant go a week before course can they potentially kick me out? I haven't signed a class b contract or anything. I know its a shitty thing to do but I just found this out yesterday. I enjoy the military and would still like to stay in it, I just can't go away this summer.

Like I said, I haven't signed a contract yet. Most that happened is they put an advance in my bank account which I didn't need nor ask for, I'm just going to return the money by money order.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
Re: Cant go away for my DP1 this summer - within good reason.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 23:59:47 »
Go into your Unit and have this conversation with your Chain of Command...... and bring your letter. Bottom line is that your lifelong career comes before being a part time Reservist. Just don't expect your news to be welcome ;) However, your CoC should support your position.
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline bulletz

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 00:02:08 »
Go into your Unit and have this conversation with your Chain of Command...... and bring your letter. Bottom line is that your lifelong career comes before being a part time Reservist. Just don't expect your news to be welcome ;) However, your CoC should support your position.

Thank you, im going to call and tell them first before I go in person, so I know what documentation to bring in, I live 45 minues away.

Offline LunchMeat

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 00:18:53 »
Honestly, if anyone gives you any trouble then they have their priorities all sorts of frig'd up.

Even better, if you can email a copy of the letter up your Chain of Command, it might just save you a commute.
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline Poacher434

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 10:28:48 »
Career first, there will be nobody in the CoC that is in disagreement. Dp1's are run several times every year throughout the CAF. Opportunities for a promising career (especially policing) are rare.

You'll have another opportunity to do a DP1 if your personal schedule so allows it, if any unit gives you a hard time for choosing a policing career over one course, than I would be curious as to why that individual is in a position of leadership.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 11:48:13 »
I would be curious as to why that individual is in a position of leadership.

Many of us are curious as to why quite a few individuals are in positions of leadership.