Author Topic: VAC wait times  (Read 50342 times)

Offline blackberet17

• "The standard you walk past, is the standard you accept." - LGen David Morrison, Chief of Army, Australia
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
Re: VAC wait times
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2015, 10:44:07 »
Yeah...
« Ne vous occupez pas d'eux; ils ne savent pas tirer. [...] Il y a des ennemis devant nous, derrière nous et sur nos flancs. Il ne reste qu'une place sans danger, soit vers l'objectif. » Paul Triquet, VC

Offline ayo23

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2015, 17:15:39 »
Just dropping by to show you my timeline:
8 Jan 2015 = Claim handed in to VAC office
8 May 2015 = They finally started looking into it.
19 Aug 2015 = Decision letter was in my mailbox.

Offline Tcm621

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2015, 15:44:14 »
Here was my reply from VAC. It spells out pretty clearly that it is 16 weeks from date of recieving all documents.

The service standard for processing new claims is sixteen
(16) weeks as of April 27, 2015[This is the date I had all my docs in] Standard processing
time has been exceeded in your case, a message will be sent to
our Head Office to this effect. A

Offline SteadyPolaris

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2015, 15:49:07 »
I am at 40 weeks right now and not expecting to hear anything until the end of sept which brings me to 52 weeks . 16 weeks to 24 weeks is a joke

My last claim took 13 months. If the nurse can't handle it and has to hand off the decision to an actual doctor a year is what I would expect.

Offline wings

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2015, 14:52:27 »
sitting at 52 weeks this week . and being told it could be until mid October . Beyond frustrated with this entire process 

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2015, 06:44:53 »
Wow... 13 months. 52 weeks... Has there been anyone on the OTHER side of this turmoil? Anyone been relatively quick... and by relative I mean 24 weeks or less?
Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline RobA

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2015, 13:07:27 »
Just dropping by to show you my timeline:
8 Jan 2015 = Claim handed in to VAC office
8 May 2015 = They finally started looking into it.
19 Aug 2015 = Decision letter was in my mailbox.

Good or bad result?

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2015, 13:19:56 »
Good or bad result?

Either I guess - an answer is an answer, right?

Offline ayo23

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2015, 14:43:01 »
Good or bad result?

Good result. It was what I was expecting.

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2015, 07:05:57 »
Fair enough.

Let me try the question again - I have read many many many posts on people waiting stupidly long times, such as a year or more. Has there been anyone on the OTHER side of this? Has anyone managed to come away from VAC with a bonafide answer (good or bad) within 6 months or less?

Just curious...

Offline ueo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2015, 10:05:28 »
Yes, 3 issues with the same condition. Submitted late November last. Adjudicated and approved in May this year. Given the complexity of the issues and my difficulty in obtaining civilian medical support, I find this refreshing. Dealing with the system is difficult tho' as the call center seems loathe to get you through to the local office. However, once  contact is made the process appears to motor effectively.
Take the tone of the company you are with. Lord Chesterfield

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2015, 10:12:28 »
Submitted late November last. Adjudicated and approved in May this year.

So, 24 weeks-ish... and given a Christmas / New Year's break in the middle I'd say you managed well.

Good for you. And best of luck with your issues.

Offline Towards_the_gap

• 'Just tell your wife, that she owes your life, to a muddy old engineer'
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2015, 00:01:49 »
Applied 10 April for a MH claim....Was told 16 weeks from 17 April for a decision - last friday in other words...Monday send a secure message asking for an update, find that my profile has been updated saying that the application is at Step 3, and that as it is over 16 weeks I should expect a decision letter shortly. Get a secure message telling me it's at head office for another month when they expect to give me an answer....

Ombudsman contacted today, will let you know how it pans out.

Nice little surprise today, and on my birthday no less. Get home to see a voicemail asking me to call someone at VAC. Call em up, get told a favourable decision has been reached (today in fact) and what I would be expecting and how to go about accessing it, plus the $500 for financial advice. And here's the shocker...... after all that, the poor girl on the other end of the phone asked 'how are you doing anyways???'. I actually burst out laughing and said 'you're the first person at VAC to ever ask that, thank you!'.

Kudos to her though, she sounded petrified throughout the whole conversation, I imagine some of her calls are to persons a lot more pissed off and far less affable than I!

So less than 2 weeks after dropping a line to the Ombudsmans office and I get a result 2 weeks earlier than VAC said they would get back to me. Kudos to the Ombudsman and to those waiting, make your case known to them! They can't help that what they don't know about.

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2015, 07:52:00 »
Priceless!!

I'm happy that you are finally at a milestone and hoping you conquer MH - don't let it conquer you. Happy birthday BTW - mine was 2 days ago... went on to my VAC account hoping for a little birthday news... Lol! No such luck!

I love that you never sunk that poor VAC girl. Some people are just genuinely nice and good. We need more of them.

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2015, 15:23:54 »
I can't remember when I applied, but I received the letter saying my decision was pending in late May (I believe they had received all my info as of 16 May) and just received the decision (5%) in the mail today.

I also went and got Veteran's plates today...   ;D
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2015, 09:45:48 »
I can't remember when I applied, but I received the letter saying my decision was pending in late May (I believe they had received all my info as of 16 May) and just received the decision (5%) in the mail today.

I also went and got Veteran's plates today...   ;D

Seems pretty close to the 16 week mark from step 3 (I assume it went to step 3 in May)... not bad. Was 5% close to what you were expecting?

Offline PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2015, 10:42:22 »
Seems pretty close to the 16 week mark from step 3 (I assume it went to step 3 in May)... not bad. Was 5% close to what you were expecting?

Yes, it was at step 3 in May.

To be honest, I wasn't even sure if I'd get anything, so I was happy with the decision.
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2015, 11:11:55 »
Awesome. I am retiring 3B and was actually encouraged to apply for "what ails me"... this (so i'm told) makes VAC aware of the meds i'm on and should be covered when I transition out. I'll bet they are scratching their heads on my applications -

1. Heart attack on the range during a PWT3 (so, coronary something or other)
2. OSI / PTSD (This was difficult as one can imagine - I felt like a money grubber, like why should I get paid because I went away, and sometimes i'm still there...)
3. Diabetes Mellitus. I was diagnosed with diabetes a few years back just after I came back from Bosnia...

Now, again, i really don't expect much (if anything) with the exception of VAC acknowledging and possibly covering some of my meds on release. I take 14 pills a day which will be quite costly when DND isn't picking up the tab.

Offline PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2015, 11:50:08 »
Now, again, i really don't expect much (if anything) with the exception of VAC acknowledging and possibly covering some of my meds on release. I take 14 pills a day which will be quite costly when DND isn't picking up the tab.

I hear ya.  I didn't put down my hypothyroidism because it couldn't be attributed to military service.

What I did put in for was called "Cumulative Joint Trauma".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2015, 11:57:21 »
And after 27 years, joint trauma can really "cumulate"  :bowing:

Offline Tcm621

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2015, 12:03:23 »
I hear ya.  I didn't put down my hypothyroidism because it couldn't be attributed to military service.

What I did put in for was called "Cumulative Joint Trauma".

This is the hard stuff. How can I point to it being military caused if I don't have an accident when it injured something? I have been in the Military since I was 17 all my joint pain is related to the military in one way or another.

Offline PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2015, 12:12:57 »
This is the hard stuff. How can I point to it being military caused if I don't have an accident when it injured something? I have been in the Military since I was 17 all my joint pain is related to the military in one way or another.

Hence the "cumulative" part.  I did in fact have a slip and fall (on ice) during Basic, but it wasn't documented.  The decision is made on several factors (I don't have the paperwork here but I can add to this reply later).
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2015, 12:18:04 »
I had the same trouble with my shoulders... carrying the weight of my CoC Lol!!

Seriously - when my letter came back application denied (no indication of incident within a SDA) I called the BPA number they were so kind to give me. The lawyer assigned to me was absolutely unequivocally smashingly great! Did I mention she was great? Went to the hearing, she had my med docs with flags at roughly a dozen places in the file. I had a bit of work to do as well - I provided a 5 pager on absolutely every job I did and how it affected my shoulder. The panel was in 100% agreement when I left. Received a decision of 30% at 5/5 within two months.

Offline Tcm621

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2015, 13:02:21 »
I had the same trouble with my shoulders... carrying the weight of my CoC Lol!!

Seriously - when my letter came back application denied (no indication of incident within a SDA) I called the BPA number they were so kind to give me. The lawyer assigned to me was absolutely unequivocally smashingly great! Did I mention she was great? Went to the hearing, she had my med docs with flags at roughly a dozen places in the file. I had a bit of work to do as well - I provided a 5 pager on absolutely every job I did and how it affected my shoulder. The panel was in 100% agreement when I left. Received a decision of 30% at 5/5 within two months.

Awesome. That will help me a lot.

Offline blackberet17

• "The standard you walk past, is the standard you accept." - LGen David Morrison, Chief of Army, Australia
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2015, 14:22:14 »

Have a read through the Entitlement Eligibility Guidelines on cumulative joint trauma. Note, it applies to weight-bearing joints! Then, build your case from there, by documenting (as noted above) every trade you had, the numbers of hours spent over days, etc., to meet the guidelines. May seem like a lot of work, and it sure is, but hopefully it helps towards a favourable outcome.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/after-injury/disability-benefits/benefits-determined/entitlement-eligibility-guidelines/cumuljd
« Ne vous occupez pas d'eux; ils ne savent pas tirer. [...] Il y a des ennemis devant nous, derrière nous et sur nos flancs. Il ne reste qu'une place sans danger, soit vers l'objectif. » Paul Triquet, VC