Author Topic: VAC wait times  (Read 93007 times)

Offline Rifleman2003

• Rate Post
Re: VAC wait times
« Reply #250 on: December 19, 2018, 15:16:55 »
I began my application in April 2017 for First Time Application and my service standard start date is Sept 2017.
As of today it’s been 66 weeks in adjudication. I called today and was told that it is in progress and that is all they could tell me.
It’s been a rather frustrating process to go through. Anyone else have to wait this long?

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #251 on: December 19, 2018, 17:03:37 »
It's that time of the year again. "Many new staff hired."

https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/services/innovation/human-resources-statistics/population-federal-public-service-department.html

Looks like a decrease of positions since last year.

Offline upandatom

• Rate Post
« Reply #252 on: December 31, 2018, 22:53:20 »
Does anyone know what is the average wait time for VAC to start processing disability claims? It seems like it takes 2-3 months before it is started after submission.
  I have read somewhere that VAC is now at 24 weeks vs 16 weeks,! Has anyone heard/ seen the same?

Thanks

There is a sweet new useless tool on myvac now that tells you the estimated wait time..... and then you can call and ask and they can tell you 1 year wait... like me, going on 20 weeks for a departmental review, but still, they said they are just working on DRs from January 2018 right now....
I am McLovin

Offline upandatom

• Rate Post
« Reply #253 on: December 31, 2018, 23:00:52 »
I had a sit down with the Minister and a member of his VAC Committee the end of August. I can tell you the minister really wants to get the cash and benefits into our hands. He admits there are many legacy procedures that hamper this from happening. I think in time he'll actually solve the crazy processing times.

As for me, I have 2 claims that have been in Step 3 for 78 weeks now. Even after the minister engaged 4 weeks ago nothing has happened.

The real problem is that the adjudicators are not motivated to solve these issues efficiently. I mentioned that since everything is based on tables. Just have VAC accredited drs complete a bingo card based on those tables. Then just plug it into a computer and you're done. The adjudicators don't need to be in the loop. That type of automation is entirely possible but it would put much of that department out of work.

That’s a shame the leprauchaun couldn’t do anything.

The Conservatives took a lot of grief, however.

When I first retired. I had my ppwk into VAC 5 months before I left. That was Aug/sep of 2014, come April of 2015, hasn’t passed step 2. Stuck, and no one could tell me why.
I wrote a letter to Erin O’toole, he called me two days after the email was read, went through my history,then I had his staff call me the next day. Within a week I had my decision, within two I had my payment.

If Seamus really cared, he would of handled it, made sure crap was right. This guy may seem like he does, good acting I guess.

I just don’t see it with him.
I am McLovin

Offline Wolfeyez

• Rate Post
« Reply #254 on: January 07, 2019, 14:16:09 »
I can't even recall when I applied, but so far my application has been in Stage 3 for 70 weeks...several phone calls and MyVAC emails and the same apologies for the wait times due to heavy workloads. Seems to me, 70 weeks is a long time and if they got their asses in gear, they could have been down at least one file 54 weeks ago...

Offline Cbbmtt

• Rate Post
« Reply #255 on: January 07, 2019, 15:47:39 »
I ripped my achilles in July, submitted all the paper work in Sept and i'm still in stage 1 as of today.

I filled out my paperwork on the 20th of December for a partially torn ACL from my left knee from 2015 and I'm on stage three as of today.

A person I work with had to have his knee scraped and submitted an application Oct and got paid in December.

I don't know how the heck it works there, but they might as well not have an estimated time of return at all. It makes anyone who reads 12-16 weeks think that's when it should be done. I have no expectations, however submitting the application with all the information that your MIR has on your file seems to speed up the process because they don't have to request the information.

Another day in paradise.

Offline johnston90

• Rate Post
« Reply #256 on: January 08, 2019, 11:21:21 »
My application has been in since Jan 2018. Not sure when it went into step 3 because i stopped checking for months. I sent a message in November to see what's going on with my application. They said they were working on June 2017. I was reading earlier posts and someone mentioned jan 2018 applications were being reviewed. The timelines dont add up to me. They are making up dates or actually hammering through applications.

Offline Tcm621

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #257 on: January 08, 2019, 12:06:26 »
Is it just my frustration or have wait times been longer since the Liberals took over? I feel like they have but it may just be that they piss me off in general so I want to blame this on them as well

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #258 on: January 08, 2019, 12:28:24 »
Is it just my frustration or have wait times been longer since the Liberals took over? I feel like they have but it may just be that they piss me off in general so I want to blame this on them as well

They are definitely longer. Their excuses are more wishy washy and not a single person there is taking anything seriously.

I sent them a nastygram and they sent a reply from some old retired CWO, trying to shake my military chain. Sorry, not military any more and don't answer to anyone. I certainly don't take direction from some retired Chief, at VAC, or anywhere else.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Cbbmtt

• Rate Post
« Reply #259 on: January 08, 2019, 21:17:08 »
My application has been in since Jan 2018. Not sure when it went into step 3 because i stopped checking for months. I sent a message in November to see what's going on with my application. They said they were working on June 2017. I was reading earlier posts and someone mentioned jan 2018 applications were being reviewed. The timelines dont add up to me. They are making up dates or actually hammering through applications.

I'm pretty sure for one that certain cases are more stream lined. Example; A scenario where the health condition is cut and dry. Broken arm, arm mended. Or scar tissue disturbing movement of knee, remove tissue. Done. Then there's conditions that could get worst and or get a larger payout.

I used to work for a insurance company and larger the claim the more they investigated it. If there's a CF98, MRI results and two doctors reports and there is no more treatment needed. I'm pretty sure a basic level staff member can handle it and requires less review. However, major surgury, ongoing treatments and a life condition would require a lot more review.

If I'm right on the above scenario, this could be why some people are saying "We are working on December 2017 and some are saying working on March 2018". Explain to me why my Sgt put his claim in the same time I did late September and has been paid out already. Everyone is not in the same queue. My Sgt got paid in 12 weeks. They say the turn around goal is 16 weeks. How many people not on here have been paid out for quick claims like broken fingers in weeks? An average maybe?

All I know is that when I called, I got a really nice guy who said the 16 weeks was a goal and that I would be looking realistically at 40 weeks. I've been in for 5 years so far and I'm used to the hurry up and wait scenario. I feel bad for any veterans who are waiting a long time who need the money more than I do. I wish you all an expedited service through VAC, I'll keep you updated with my results.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 21:34:47 by Cbbmtt »
Another day in paradise.

Offline Tcm621

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #260 on: January 11, 2019, 12:28:07 »
What are the rules surrounding speaking to a Member of Parliament as a serving member? I am so tired of this crap. I got the following message from VAC in response to my recent inquiry on a 45 week old claim.

-Personal details removed-

Thank you for using My VAC Account and our secure email services.

I am sorry for the delay. At present, your claims for X, and Y
 is in Adjudication at Veterans Affairs Canada’s Head
Office. The average turnaround time for multiple condition disability
benefits claims is approximately 32 weeks.

In your case, the turnaround time started for Y started 2018-02-28. However,
Adjudication is currently processing claims dated July 2017.
We are tracking the progress of your claim and it will be processed
as soon as possible.

-snip-

Again, we apologize for the delay and thank you for your patience.
You will be notified by mail when the decision is complete.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact
us again via My VAC Account or our toll-free number, 1-866-522-2122.

Sincerely,

VAC EMPLOYEE
National Contact Centre Network Analyst
Veterans Affairs Canada

So the average turnaround time is 32 weeks but they are just now getting to files 88 weeks old and my 45 week old claim will take another 26 weeks before they get to it. I am tired of being lied to. I am tired of being told they are hiring more staff and wait times keep rising because we are making too many claims. I have been told that the Standard SERVICE date doesn't start until it goes to head office (not true). I have been told that a recent diagnosis is required for old injuries yet the inquires resolution officer I spoke with told me that is not needed. I had a file go from completed to stage 3 because of something caught in stage 4(?) and it needed to go back to stage 3 for revision. Either VAC has a habit of lying to Veterans or their heads are so far up their asses they have no idea what goes on. I am a firm believer in Hanlon's razor which states, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity", but neither one is acceptable.

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #261 on: January 11, 2019, 13:24:56 »
As I said in Nov, maybe VAC should triage ALL the files in the system. Quick review for conceivably, grant the claim at the max, with a provision of non precedent approval with respect to a one time benefit, then start from scratch.

There is obviously something seriously screwed up with the process that VAC utilize. Or the personnel.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline Wolfeyez

• Rate Post
« Reply #262 on: January 19, 2019, 17:24:55 »
On January 8, 2019, I received an email reply from VAC regarding claims they are working on...

This was their reply in part: 

"The oldest claims that we are currently working on are for the Service Standard Start Date
of July 2017. We are monitoring the progress of your claim and will advise you of the results in writing as soon as they become available."

Offline iltis1994

• WITH EVERY NEW LEVEL...COMES A NEW DEVIL
  • Rate Post
« Reply #263 on: January 19, 2019, 19:04:02 »
What is your claim?...I might be able to help you...101%...experience...

Offline cctchevy18

• Rate Post
« Reply #264 on: January 21, 2019, 15:20:53 »
Interesting update today from the call center, from what i was told - that wait time calculator that they brought out online for members to check wait times is actually pretty dead on accurate, but I'm also told these appear to be newer applications cause they are actually 32 weeks old, 32 weeks means roughly that summer 2018 files are being processed currently. Also clarified that these are not the rush claims such as tinnitus, knees, and mental health. So it appears they are they are showing a reduction in wait times to the public eye by processing new claims faster than older ones (looks good for election year maybe), and thus the guys with applications from 2017 are still waiting. Separate departments or adjudicators for older claims vs new ones? nothing surprises me these days.

Offline brokendude

• Rate Post
« Reply #265 on: January 21, 2019, 15:44:33 »
Interesting update today from the call center, from what i was told - that wait time calculator that they brought out online for members to check wait times is actually pretty dead on accurate, but I'm also told these appear to be newer applications cause they are actually 32 weeks old, 32 weeks means roughly that summer 2018 files are being processed currently. Also clarified that these are not the rush claims such as tinnitus, knees, and mental health. So it appears they are they are showing a reduction in wait times to the public eye by processing new claims faster than older ones (looks good for election year maybe), and thus the guys with applications from 2017 are still waiting. Separate departments or adjudicators for older claims vs new ones? nothing surprises me these days.

So....tell us.....did you buy the bridge they were selling you too?   Not for one second would I believe anything from the department.   Not one iota.    Good afternoon laugh though.   Cheers!

Offline Rifleman2003

• Rate Post
« Reply #266 on: January 21, 2019, 16:12:09 »
I called the other day and they said they are still working on claims with service standard start dates of July 2017.  My application is for PTSD from 12 years of being a RCMP member and all that comes along with the job. I guess I’m hoping to hear something by March which will of been two years since I started this process.

Offline cctchevy18

• Rate Post
« Reply #267 on: January 21, 2019, 17:20:03 »
"So....tell us.....did you buy the bridge they were selling you too?   Not for one second would I believe anything from the department.   Not one iota.    Good afternoon laugh though.   Cheers!"

No bridges here, I'm like 15 months, just saying there is some crazy crap going on obviously, id be curios if anyone knows of anyone who's got one processed fast lately with a new app, though they probably won't be on this forum lol.

Offline cctchevy18

• Rate Post
« Reply #268 on: January 22, 2019, 11:03:13 »
So I sent out a few emails yesterday regarding the wait time yesterday,

This was my received response.

“Thank you for your inquiry and for visiting the Veterans Affairs Canada web site.
If you are inquiring about the wait time tool that we have on-line, these wait times are average wait times.  Some claims are expedited due to health / unmet health needs so it brings the average wait time lower.”

Don’t think redzoned files should be used the lower the wait time! Opinions ??

Offline Cbbmtt

• Rate Post
« Reply #269 on: January 23, 2019, 09:17:10 »
 I sent an e-mail on the 22nd of December and 15th of January. I got a response yesterday regarding both the e-mails stating they have fwd the e-mail to the department handling my claim. My turn around time for an e-mail from December has now been fwd to the appropriate department.

Cough cough.... a month to get a response saying they have sent the e-mail to the right department. I have no expectations now, none. I'll keep you updated.

claim 1 - ripped achilles September 2018  (stage 1)
claim 2 - partially torn ACL Decemeber 2018 (stage 3)
Another day in paradise.

Offline cctchevy18

• Rate Post
« Reply #270 on: January 23, 2019, 09:50:20 »
claim 1 - ripped achilles September 2018  (stage 1)”
claim 2 - partially torn ACL Decemeber 2018 (stage 3)“

Sadly Your probly looking into 2020 till you hear anything, 16 months or so seems to be the norm for me

Offline Tech1963

• Rate Post
« Reply #271 on: January 25, 2019, 12:52:06 »
Yes it defenetly takes time. I have been on step 3 for 55 weeks. When I ask for updates I always get the same one size fits all type of answer. Higher volume of demands, and so on

Offline Arty Sim

• Rate Post
« Reply #272 on: January 27, 2019, 01:45:44 »
sorry, but I wouldn’t call tinnitus a “ rush “ claim, wait time tool says average wait for a decision is 17 weeks, I’m at triple that now

Offline brokendude

• Rate Post
« Reply #273 on: January 28, 2019, 14:54:27 »
I've had a claim in with VAC since early November 2017.   Called ombudsmans office today, & they agreed that it was excessively long and beyond normal to be still waiting for it to be finalized and completed.   Nice lady at ombudsmans office took my contact info and told me she would get back to me asap after she contacted VAC.   Within about an hour she called back and informed me that new case workers have been assigned all straight forward outstanding claims and as mine is one of those, it was currently being finished with one of these said workers and should be done within 1-3 weeks.  However, more complex claims are still outstanding and not yet worled on dating back to July 2017.

Offline Tech1963

• Rate Post
« Reply #274 on: January 28, 2019, 15:32:11 »
Mine is dated July 2017, I checked to see what was happening and they told me it could take up to a year, I said ok but it has been more than a year on stage 3 and file opened in July 2017. Then I got the usual higher volume of file, it takes time and they are working on may 2017 file.  Told her I feel like a Christmas turkey, constantly being stuff. Couple days later got a call and a case manager is coming this Thursday.  I wonder what kind of stuffing I will get this time. Will see