Author Topic: VAC wait times  (Read 175440 times)

Offline gryphonv

• Rate Post
Re: VAC wait times
« Reply #425 on: January 09, 2020, 12:54:27 »
I just got off the Phone with VAC making sure they got my documents, and was told turn around time for Lump Sum payments is up to 8 weeks.

Everything I heard before was 6 weeks. So maybe this is another change to slow things down.

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #426 on: January 10, 2020, 09:12:46 »
I just got off the Phone with VAC making sure they got my documents, and was told turn around time for Lump Sum payments is up to 8 weeks.

Everything I heard before was 6 weeks. So maybe this is another change to slow things down.

How long did it take to get the form to elect lump sum from them?

Offline gryphonv

• Rate Post
« Reply #427 on: January 10, 2020, 12:13:29 »
How long did it take to get the form to elect lump sum from them?

I requested the forms dec 17th, both electronic and paper copies. I had the electronic on the 20th, the paper form showed up first week of Jan.  Considering the holidays I felt that was reasonable.

Offline Harley52

• Rate Post
« Reply #428 on: January 12, 2020, 12:14:46 »
My disability claim has been at Veterans Affairs Canada now since January 8, 2018 which equates to 104 weeks far cry from 16 weeks turn around time.  Am I the only one with a lengthy wait time?  Is this normal?

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #429 on: January 12, 2020, 13:26:03 »
My disability claim has been at Veterans Affairs Canada now since January 8, 2018 which equates to 104 weeks far cry from 16 weeks turn around time.  Am I the only one with a lengthy wait time?  Is this normal?

Unfortunately, you’ll see from many others’ comments in this thread that wait times are exceedingly long.

Assuming all documents are in order, and they’re not waiting for any other re-submissions and/or supporting documents, the decision phase takes the most time. They’re bottle-necked and understaffed. As well, as with any government organization, errors occur from time to time also.

If you haven’t touched base with anyone recently, contact them to see if they can offer any insight. Occasionally something occurs which doesn’t appear on your MyVAC account and notifications aren’t sent and/or received by the claimant.
”You don’t have a right to the cards you believe you should have been dealt. You have an obligation to play the hell out of the ones you’re holding. ”
~Cheryl Strayed

“The aim of argument, or of discussion should not be victory, but progress.”~Joseph Joubert

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #430 on: January 12, 2020, 18:44:10 »
It's important to understand the scope of claims vac deals with.

CAF members aren't only waiting until the end of their careers to submit claims. Recruits who injure themselves at basic training (from serious stuff to twisted akles) are submitting claims as soon as they hit their units.

Members releasing seem prompted to put in a bunch of claims (from vac themselves) as well.

Not necessarily a bad thing but if a single person puts in 5-10 claims that adds up across a potential 8000 members releasing per year.

There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline gryphonv

• Rate Post
« Reply #431 on: January 14, 2020, 11:03:06 »
Just an update. Got my lump sum today. So just under 4 weeks from date I submitted it online

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #432 on: January 14, 2020, 11:32:46 »
It's important to understand the scope of claims vac deals with.

CAF members aren't only waiting until the end of their careers to submit claims. Recruits who injure themselves at basic training (from serious stuff to twisted akles) are submitting claims as soon as they hit their units.

Members releasing seem prompted to put in a bunch of claims (from vac themselves) as well.

Not necessarily a bad thing but if a single person puts in 5-10 claims that adds up across a potential 8000 members releasing per year.

Thousands of insurance companies around the world seem to be able to manage this kind of traffic. Maybe we could learn something from them, assuming we're willing.
“To stand on the firing parapet and expose yourself to danger; to stand and fight a thousand miles from home when you're all alone and outnumbered and probably beaten; to spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary.”
— Jerry Pournelle —

Offline RangerDave

• Rate Post
« Reply #433 on: January 21, 2020, 13:21:18 »
So... submitted a claim for a single condition in March 2017, VAC had all required documents in June 2017. Called yesterday, was told their current service standard for a single condition claim was July 2017. In other words, the oldest applications they are working on are complete (all required documents received) from July 2017, one month past mine. The agent said she would "elevate" my file to her supervisor for additional information... and that's all she would say, she had no other info than call back in a week.

At this point I'm considering it a lost cause in the short term. I'm going to call back next week and see what, if anything, has been updated. The wait time tool states 54 weeks, being over 80 weeks at this point, I'm not expecting anything for months, at best. After next week I'll let it ride for a few months.

I'm guessing with the changes as of April 2018, VAC who was already overworked and apparently changing "claims systems", is now completely overwhelmed.

Offline Harley52

• Rate Post
« Reply #434 on: January 21, 2020, 16:07:08 »
Hey RangerDave listen up. Your dates appear to be off by 1 year.  Do you mean 2018 not 2017?

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #435 on: January 22, 2020, 07:37:54 »
Thousands of insurance companies around the world seem to be able to manage this kind of traffic. Maybe we could learn something from them, assuming we're willing.

I'd guess insurence companies have a reason to be competitive and worry about service quality as shitty service might mean clients go elsewhere. VAC has no competition.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #436 on: January 23, 2020, 23:40:39 »
So... submitted a claim for a single condition in March 2017, VAC had all required documents in June 2017. Called yesterday, was told their current service standard for a single condition claim was July 2017. In other words, the oldest applications they are working on are complete (all required documents received) from July 2017, one month past mine. The agent said she would "elevate" my file to her supervisor for additional information... and that's all she would say, she had no other info than call back in a week.

At this point I'm considering it a lost cause in the short term. I'm going to call back next week and see what, if anything, has been updated. The wait time tool states 54 weeks, being over 80 weeks at this point, I'm not expecting anything for months, at best. After next week I'll let it ride for a few months.

I'm guessing with the changes as of April 2018, VAC who was already overworked and apparently changing "claims systems", is now completely overwhelmed.

I called a few weeks ago and was told the oldest disability claim they're working on was August 2018, so something def went wrong with your application.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 15:27:22 by meni0n »

Offline upandatom

• Rate Post
« Reply #437 on: February 07, 2020, 10:29:05 »

Insurance companies are not hindered with red tape and politics.

I am curious as to how many employees of VAC are actually working on files and applications. I am certain that they could of enticed a few adjustors from insurance companies to jump the fence with all that unused VAC money from previous years. Or the bureaucrats are worried about looking bad when some outside source comes in and cleans up.
I am McLovin

Offline chloe50

• Rate Post
« Reply #438 on: February 07, 2020, 13:00:50 »
Why does it take so long just to get the forms to fill out.  I called 2 weeks ago to have them sent to me and was told I would get them with in a week.  Didn't happen so I called back and was told there was a back log and to call back in a month if I hadn't received them.  When I was on the website I checked out wait times for claims be processed........it was 54 weeks. 

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #439 on: February 11, 2020, 11:50:34 »
Telecom with VAC. Working on July 2018 for a single condition as of today.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #440 on: February 12, 2020, 13:22:45 »
Don’t worry troops…. The PM’s surfing vacations won’t be disturbed by this news….

More Canadian veterans than ever are waiting to find out whether they qualify for disability benefits, despite repeated government promises and efforts to get the situation under control.

New figures from Veterans Affairs Canada show more than 44,000 applications from veterans for assistance were sitting in the queue at the end of September, a 10 per cent increase from only six months earlier.

The number includes both completed applications and those deemed "incomplete," which Veterans Affairs broke out for the first time after years of criticism for the ever-increasing number of files waiting for a decision.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/veterans-affairs-benefits-backlog-grows-1.5458596
“To stand on the firing parapet and expose yourself to danger; to stand and fight a thousand miles from home when you're all alone and outnumbered and probably beaten; to spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary.”
— Jerry Pournelle —

Offline Navyynick

• Rate Post
« Reply #441 on: March 03, 2020, 12:23:42 »
Well after 83 weeks my assessment is finally complete, does anyone know how long is takes to receive a decision letter and is there a way to tell if your assessment is favorable before you receive the letter?

Offline Harley52

• Rate Post
« Reply #442 on: March 03, 2020, 12:32:16 »
In your My VAC Account, check the "Current benefits and payment history" page, your new amount might be shown there if favourable. Or the decision letter may be uploaded in your Inbox.  Either way, check both.....Good Luck and congratulations if favourable.

Offline Navyynick

• Rate Post
« Reply #443 on: March 03, 2020, 12:43:31 »
In your My VAC Account, check the "Current benefits and payment history" page, your new amount might be shown there if favourable. Or the decision letter may be uploaded in your Inbox.  Either way, check both.....Good Luck and congratulations if favourable.

Nothing in the inbox that relates to a decision letter, also there is nothing in the current benefits and payments section? How long does it normally take for current benefits and payments to update after completion of the first application. Making me worried :/

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #444 on: March 03, 2020, 14:34:24 »
To get a decline after waiting for 83 weeks would be unconscionable.

After 83+ weeks, start the process all over again with an appeal.But that's VAC.

Best of luck. Let us know please.

Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline Navyynick

• Rate Post
« Reply #445 on: March 05, 2020, 13:45:08 »
To get a decline after waiting for 83 weeks would be unconscionable.

After 83+ weeks, start the process all over again with an appeal.But that's VAC.

Best of luck. Let us know please.

So got the information, It was determined that disability was service related, however they have it as 0%. However, they initiated an reassessment themselves without me even having to appeal, hopefully this goes a lot quicker then the initial application.

stellarpanther

« Reply #446 on: March 09, 2020, 20:36:47 »

When I was complaining and calling everyone I could think of including my MP, I was told at the time that the oldest claim was June 2018.  One of the things I was told by one of the managers in VAC and by the VAC Ombudsman is that if your claim is before the oldest claim they are working on they will escalate your claim. You need to call the VAC Ombudsman.

stellarpanther

« Reply #447 on: March 09, 2020, 20:45:19 »
Well after 83 weeks my assessment is finally complete, does anyone know how long is takes to receive a decision letter and is there a way to tell if your assessment is favorable before you receive the letter?
If you have a VAC office in your city or rep on your base see them. They can print off the letter if it's ready and save you at least a couple weeks waiting for it to be mail it out.  The call centre can tell you if the letter has been created do you don't waste your time.  Just don't listen to them if they tell you that you need to wait for it in the mail.

Offline Harley52

• Rate Post
« Reply #448 on: March 25, 2020, 15:15:16 »
Is Veteran Affairs Canada completely shut down if not are they still processing Disability Claims.

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #449 on: March 25, 2020, 16:28:32 »
Is Veteran Affairs Canada completely shut down if not are they still processing Disability Claims.

Its almost like they've thought of this and put the information right on MyVAC with a FAQ.... https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/help/faq/info-veterans-covid-19#applications

That being said, I applied on 10 Feb for a new injury and it's still on Step 1. I'll see my cash probably around 10 Feb 2022.