Author Topic: All Things Socks (merged)  (Read 105349 times)

Offline PhilB

• Rate Post
Re: All Things Socks (merged)
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2007, 17:38:54 »
Here is a link to the issue sock system.

http://www.army.dnd.ca/Chief_Land_Staff/Clothe_the_soldier/hab/2/262_e.asp

Basically it comprises a thin black liner sock, an intermediate weight wool sock,and a heavy weight wool sock. From my understanding a soldier is entitled to an issue of socks every 6 months (Sup Techs please correct me if I am out to lunch). Personally I am not a fan of the issue sock system. I find the liner sock to be constricting and not overly adept at wicking sweat. Additionally it falls apart quite quickly. I use ingenious socks on a day to day basis and really like them.That being said I found them much to hot for the desert,and resorted back to the issue desert socks. I am still on the hunt for a good pair of desert socks. The ingenious socks would be great if they  were about half the weight. Hope this helps.

Offline socksguy

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2007, 08:35:13 »
Thanks for the info so far and please keep it coming. I am glad to hear that you all seem to like our Wigwam socks.

PhilB, you mentioned that the Ingenius socks are too warm for the desert and that you still use the issued socks. I assume that is their green Temperate sock. Correct?

Thanks again everyone.

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• Drawing the crabs from Downunder :) WTF is TWL?
  • Banned
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2007, 08:54:39 »
Whatever happened to those 'socks, wool, grey'?? Are they still around?

Regards,

Wes
"You've never lived until you've almost died; as for our freedom, for those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know." - Anonymous

Offline socksguy

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2007, 08:58:18 »
Wes, are you looking for just the plain thick grey wool socks? Not a lot of companies still make them. There is much more attention paid to moisture wicking materials, temperature controlling materials and comfort nowadays.

Offline Keebler

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2007, 09:00:35 »
I use the ingenious for hiking and i imagine they would work well with the issued footwear in the CF. Wondering if anyone knows if recruits get the 3 sock system in basic. Or if i should buy a few more pairs of ingenious to take with me.

Offline Pookey

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2007, 09:04:29 »
Wes,

Yes they are still out there....as a CIC officer all I am entitled to is the socks, wool, grey   ;D  I dont mind them, myself.  I have taken to wearing a polypro liner sock. ( I think the last ones were wigwam    ;D )

Chris

LOST RIVER TACTICAL.....A company in the making

Offline socksguy

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2007, 09:08:01 »
Chris, please forgive my lack of knowledge, but as a CIC officer, what type of footwear are you wearing? Our liner socks are great. Glad to hear you have tried them.

Offline Pookey

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2007, 09:16:59 »
If I am in my DEU oxfords or parade boots.  If I am out with my cadets,combat boots.  I get a limited issue of field clothing.   

Offline socksguy

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2007, 09:22:10 »
How does everyone find the issued socks in terms of durability? Do the socks wear out quickly? Do you simply get to return them and get new ones?

You guys are so helpful.

Somwhere along the way here, I will have to find a few samples for you...

Offline Pookey

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2007, 09:26:41 »
My limited experience:

wool grey - bomb proof

dress sock - they wear quickly ( I wear my DEU for regular trainning )

Chris

Offline Aden_Gatling

• Rate Post
  • Action is eloquence.
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2007, 09:58:42 »
socksguy,

I hate the gray socks, and I've worn-through a few pairs (back in my mo-litia days when I wore the black cadillacs) ... I never wore a liner sock with them: maybe that was part of the problem ... these days, I do a whole lot less marching, but I like the ingenious socks and I also wear SmartWool (and I still don't wear liner-socks) ... I find that I can't wear the ingenious socks when it gets very warm (my feet sweat like crazy in them), but they are very comfortable otherwise.

FWIW, I wear the same socks hiking (ingenious or smartwool) and the ingenous running (which I do more than anything these days) sock is da bomb!

We get a clothing allowance with which we can replace the gray socks (point system, we can't 'substitute' anything else) but the combat sock system is an issue item.  If we want to wear anything else we generally can (I think it's technically not allowed, but I've never heard of anyone being told to change them, except on basic) but we have to pay for them out of our own pockets.

I'm a flyboy now, so take the above for what it's worth!  ;D

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Offline PhilB

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2007, 09:59:31 »
In response to your questions, the desert socks are seperate from the 3 sock system that I sent the link to. The desert socks seem to be made out of very lightweight synthetic material, and are ridiculously long (go past your knee, so you have to fold them down). I am not a fan of the desert socks either as I found that they fell apart really quickly,and were much to long,but they are less hot than the three sock system.

I find that the wool outer socks hold up fine ,however as I mentioned above the black liner socks are extremely flimsy and get holes in them quite quickly. Additionally, I found that the green wool outer socks get very matted after long term field use. With my ingenious socks even after wearing them for long periods of time they feel the same. The green wool gets rigid and "crusty", Hope this all helps.

Offline Bomber

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2007, 01:38:54 »
PhilB, expect to see a new desert sock coming into limited service in the next few months.  Going to be a more indepth trial of th one conducted last summer with one of the VP units.  The old desert sock, actually a dress sock designed to be worn with Desert/Tropical shorts and ankle boots/ designer styled desert boots, is possibly, going the way of the dodo. 

Offline Bomber

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2007, 01:40:19 »
Wigwam guy, how come you never came out of the wood work at any of the major shows to present some of your product.  I am wearing a pair of Lorpen's right now, and I got to tell you, I have hung up all my lite hikers.

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2007, 14:28:36 »
Bomber, if you tell higher ups to send me some sets for trial, I am heading over in the next month...
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline Kendrick

• Weekend Warrior
  • Rate Post
  • Nulli Secundus
    • My MSN Space
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2007, 15:23:57 »
Like Bzz said, sign me up!
"Only the dead have seen the end of war"
Plato

Offline Eric_911

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2007, 17:59:49 »
Good Day Sockguy,

I'll answer a couple questions which so far have remained relatively untouched.

Socks cannot be purchased through the military as the supply system has eliminated cash sales. The only exception is selected socks produced by Logistik Unicorp which make up part of a Member's Dress uniform (i'll explain further below)

Military members are issued a multitude of different socks, depending on your duties/postings/or element (Army/Navy/Airforce).

I'll break it down to the different sock systems:

Goretex Sock System : Is issued to Army Personnel, Members posted to Army units, or Members deployed in support of Land Force Operations.
Initial issue consists of : 5 pr Heavyweight Grey Wool socks, 5 pr Midweight Green Socks, and 5 pr Black moisture-wicking liner socks. The Life-cycle of the socks, upon being issued, is probably 6 months as mentioned previously. More info on this Sock System can be found at the CTS Website http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/Chief_Land_Staff/Clothe_the_soldier/hab/2/262_e.asp
Some DND Clothing Stores will issue a member new socks (or any next-to-skin items) every 6 months or so (depending on the life-cycle of the item) and some DND Clothing Stores want the members to bring in the old worn out socks, and exchange them one-for-one/pair-for-pair

Standard "Socks, Wool, Grey" : Issued to all CF Members. Initial issue of 5 pr. These socks used to be one for one exchange (I do not know if clothing stores still stocks these socks) Members can now get a free issue of these socks through Logistik Unicorp's Website, utilizing Logistik's point system.

Black or White Dress Socks : Issued to all CF Members, Initial issue of 5 pr black socks for all elements, Navy may also sign for 5 pr white dress socks to go with their white dress uniform. Exchanges of these are the same as above, through Logistik Unicorp website using the points system.

Socks, Deset, Tan : Issued to members being deployed to arid regions. These socks are one time issue, specifically for deployment (socks may be exchanged in theater of operations if avail.) Worn in conjunction with desert boots or the Tropical Dress Uniform. Initial issue of 5 or 8 pr depending on operation.

Goretex Liner : Goretex Shell for Mucklucks (winter boots). Last ones I saw were manufactured by Mustang Survival. Initial issue is 1 or 2 pr (not exactly sure) These socks are one-for-one exchange only.

*please let me know if i missed any, i've issued many a sock, they all start blending together....  :P *

I have not seen any of these specific socks available commercially (except for the Goretex "Mustang Survival" ones), although I'm sure there is some knock-offs and variants available.

CF Members are told to wear certain socks with certain footwear. Non-issue clothing of any type is usually frowned upon by most units, but is is rare that anybody wearing "non-conforming" socks would get in trouble. With the sand-traps on the combat pants, nobody can see your socks anyways. When Marching, soldiers are usually left alone to use what works.

I personally dont mind the old "socks wool grey", because they come in my size. I'm not all that fond of the Goretex Sock System, because I fall into a size-gap.

Hope that helps,

Eric

Offline Willy

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2007, 19:37:58 »
I'll break it down to the different sock systems:

Goretex Sock System : Is issued to Army Personnel, Members posted to Army units, or Members deployed in support of Land Force Operations.
Initial issue consists of : 5 pr Heavyweight Grey Wool socks, 5 pr Midweight Green Socks, and 5 pr Black moisture-wicking liner socks.

There's nothing Gore-Tex about those socks at all.

Offline Eric_911

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2007, 20:34:34 »
Sorry, my mistake, it is the Combat Sock System.....

I erroneously refferred to it as the "Goretex Sock System" because when the Combat Sock System was developped, it was designed for the Wet Weather Boot and Temperate Combat Boot. (According to the Fact Sheet: http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/Chief_Land_Staff/Clothe_the_soldier/hab/PDF/FactSheets/CSS_e.pdf ) Since the "Temperate Combat Boot" (the cadpat boots) were not in the system, and still are not...... the only boot left is the WWB according to its concept of use....

Thanks for pointing that out....

Eric

Offline DirtyDog

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2007, 21:45:39 »
I was issued the grey wool socks and black dress socks at basic.  Never wore them, stuck to my few pairs of Ingenious's.  I was issued the sock system at battle school and have pretty much stuck with them and the ingenious socks but mostly the sock system.  For the record, I've yet to get a blister but my feet do get very hot at times and quite wet which has broke down a lot of my callouses. 

I was never issued the goretex socks, though I really wish I was.

Offline socksguy

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2007, 08:55:17 »
Thanks for all the info everybody. So the next step is finding out who handles the CTS program, how I get the right people testing our socks and when the current supplier contract ends...

Our socks are extremely durable, comfortable and popular from what you have written so far. Our newest models are even better, so we really need to get our socks in the trial process here.

It is extremely tough finding out who the buyers and testers are and when the contracts expire.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have some details...

Marty

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2007, 10:09:35 »
And that explains why you were so interested..

If you want to launch me a pair or two (for wife and daughter too) we often go hiking and geocaching so we can put them through a civvy trial for you. I could use some civvy socks for chilling out around camp in Afghanistan..
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline DirtyDog

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2007, 20:04:39 »
The only thing I've noticed with the Ingenious socks is that every time I pull them off after a hard day (or 2 or 3) is that they have left a "waffle" like pattern on my feet.  I'm guessing this results from the design of the inner and can't really say that it's really a problem, but I wonder how tight they might be on my feet.  I think they are thicker then the 2 sock system and fit a little tighter in the old Mark III's.  I like the feel of the black liners of the sock system and they are quite thin, especially after you pull them tight.  Mine are shopwing quite bit of wear however and the crustiness in the heels doens't really wash out. 

I've stuck mainly with the 2 sock system since being issued it because I've been satisfied with it and have been reluctant to switch back to the Ingenious's for something like a big march or field ex simply because the sock system hasn't let me down.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I wore the Ingenious socks in basic at almost all times, but basic isn't much of a test and that was in winter conditions. 

I will start trying to wear the Ingenious socks in garriosn more to get a better evaulation and perhaps see if I'm comfortable wearing them in the field in the summer (or whenever it is I'll see significant amount of time in the field next).

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2007, 21:35:35 »
I sit here in my Ingenious socks and I just pulled one off to verify "waffling".  None.  Are you sure you have the correct sized socks?

Adsum

Offline Aden_Gatling

• Rate Post
  • Action is eloquence.
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2007, 21:52:54 »
I'm with DirtyDog: I get the same "waffling" and mine are very definitely the right size ... doesn't affect comfort or anything, but I have noticed my feet looking a little weird when I take them off ...
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.