Author Topic: ADF paper: "Of Fuzzy Writing and Fatalities"  (Read 1670 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
ADF paper: "Of Fuzzy Writing and Fatalities"
« on: July 17, 2015, 13:03:51 »
Doesn't get clearer than this, from the Australian Army Journal ....
To communicate effectively, one must write clearly. To write clearly, one must think clearly. To succeed in battle, one also must communicate effectively and think clearly. So one would think Army would place a premium on clarity of expression. Yet there is abundant evidence in the pages of this Journal that the clarity of military writing is in sharp decline. Why this might be so, and what can be done about it, is the subject of this article.
Full paper (6 pages) attached.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline ueo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
Re: ADF paper: "Of Fuzzy Writing and Fatalities"
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 14:27:56 »
Now, if only politicians/lawyers and assorted others would buy into something like this. These principles were taught at the old staff school on Avenue Rd in TO. (dating myself a bit)
Take the tone of the company you are with. Lord Chesterfield

Offline PanaEng

• Rate Post
    • You Know everything now
Re: ADF paper: "Of Fuzzy Writing and Fatalities"
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 14:50:00 »
I think the Army does try to stick to clear language - at least some Sr officers do. The problem, IMHO, is that to get further up, through staff college or other masters/phd program, we get in bed with academics and start practising their self reverential stile of writing (mirror to see yourself while you re-read your paper at own expense) and the academic circle-stroking sticks after completion.

disclaimer: I am not a JCSP graduate or student (and maybe not even candidate material :-)  )   

CHIMO!
Now I am SAS or SWAT dude ;-)
see:
Quote from: RHFC_piper ink=topic=51916.msg617784#msg617784 date=1190404708

The 'pana" is a play on the Greek 'pan' meaning 'all' or 'encompassing' - not quite but similar to UBIQUE
some think I just misspelled "para" :-)