Author Topic: A Historical Look Comparing Defence Legacies  (Read 3052 times)

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
A Historical Look Comparing Defence Legacies
« on: August 07, 2015, 07:58:21 »
Here is a link to a paper written in October, 2014, by LCol Paul W. Fredenburg, CD, MA, comparing the Defence legacies of Pierre Elliott Trudeau to today's Stephen Harper. 

Comparing Defence Legacies: Trudeau vs Harper
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: A Historical Look Comparing Defence Legacies
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 12:26:48 »
While I've only (to now) have had the opportunity to quickly peruse the piece my first impression is - what's the purpose?  Since the author lists his rank as LCol and organization as CFC, I was surprised that there seem to be a somewhat partisan bias in the comparison.  As I was unfamiliar with this officer I wondered what was his background and if this particular article had been originally published in a peer reviewed journal.  I found this on the CMEA site  http://www.cmea-agmc.ca/lcol-pw-fredenburg-cd
The commandant and staff of CFC would like to take this opportunity to announce the retirement of Lieutenant-Colonel Paul Fredenburg after over 39 years of dedicated and loyal service . . .

He currently serves at CFC Toronto and he will retire from the Regular Force 15 July 2014.

LCol Fredenburg plans to become active in the CMEA, pursue further studies in history, become active politically and states he will dabble in the private sector.

As the intent is to rebut an article by a Robert Smol it should be read in conjunction with that article.  I found Mr. Smol's article on Esprit De Corps as well as LCol Fredenburg's rebuttal.  Now, I know why I hadn't seen these pieces before.   They are easily found via google.  I won't post links since in one of the headings on that magazine's site is the name of he who can't be mentioned and thus I don't know if the prohibition extends there.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Re: A Historical Look Comparing Defence Legacies
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 15:15:28 »
Ah yes small brain thinking going on by the sound of it.

Offline jmt18325

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Election 2015
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 19:33:26 »
I don't think it will matter who wins the election - DND will continue just as it is right now...mostly ignored, and funded at about half the rate it should be.

Offline Rocky Mountains

• Rate Post
Re: Re: Election 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 10:52:49 »
I don't think it will matter who wins the election - DND will continue just as it is right now...mostly ignored, and funded at about half the rate it should be.

Going by the history of the last 50 years, the biggest slashes in military strength came under Liberals Trudeau and Chretien.  The biggest increase came under Conservative Harper and under Conservative Mulroney, it stood steady if I remember correctly.  The Liberals seem to have been more consistent with major purchases but I don't think anyone is going to sacrifice too many political points for extensive re-equipping.  Given over 50 years of anti-military rhetoric, I suspect the NDP would be nothing but bad news for the military. perhaps turning them into the world's social workers once again.