Author Topic: New Canadian Shipbuilding Strategy  (Read 707847 times)

Offline JMCanada

• Rate Post
Re: New Canadian Shipbuilding Strategy
« Reply #2350 on: Yesterday at 06:03:54 »
To be fair, it does happen...

I wouldn't instantly flame the yard...just make sure they are aware of the problem, fix it, and make the necessary changes so it's fixed in the future also.

Very reasonable & sensible reply.

I worked once in a nuclear plant at the time of refueling, the condenser had to be reworked (where pure water cools the radioactive steam circuit).

There were hundreds of welds and of course a few of them came out wrong. The matter is to ensure by different means (including X-rays) that each and every weld is ammended and perfectly seals the two elements. Then the work can go on to next step.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #2351 on: Yesterday at 09:46:42 »
Indeed.  That's the purpose of a QA system within a production framework.  The fact that it appears as though the flaws were identical across hull numbers and that the welding process/equipment involved was identified and replaced means the systems is working.  I say good on VSI for not shying away from acknowledging the issue and addressing what's being done to resolve the issue and prevent its occurrence in the future.

Regards
G2G

Offline Underway

• Rate Post
« Reply #2352 on: Yesterday at 20:51:54 »
Indeed.  That's the purpose of a QA system within a production framework.  The fact that it appears as though the flaws were identical across hull numbers and that the welding process/equipment involved was identified and replaced means the systems is working.  I say good on VSI for not shying away from acknowledging the issue and addressing what's being done to resolve the issue and prevent its occurrence in the future.

Regards
G2G

Fully agree.  Far worse that bad welds get past QA and leads to all the problems that might cause.