Author Topic: Australia/RAAF to join US-led air campaign over Syria?  (Read 3553 times)

Offline S.M.A.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Australia/RAAF to join US-led air campaign over Syria?
« on: August 28, 2015, 12:38:44 »
So it's only a matter of time before RAAF Super Hornets are on the flight line alongside Canada's CF188s already participating in the US-led air campaign over Iraq and Syria?

Diplomat

Australia to Bomb Syria?
The prime minister is raring to go, despite the questionable wisdom of the move.

By Helen Clark
August 27, 2015

The U.S. has asked Australia to help bomb Syria, in a letter delivered to the embassy in Washington. Fairfax Media has reported that “the driving force for the formal request received last week from the United States for the RAAF to join the air campaign in Syria came more from Canberra – and in particular the Prime Minister’s office – than from Washington.” At least according to senior government sources. Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott has denied the claim.

At a press conference during his North Queensland trip Wednesday Tony Abbott said that in fact the original request had come during a phone conversation with U.S. President Barack Obama about the Trans-Pacific Partnership on July 17, when he also called to give his condolences for the Chattanooga shooting.

(...SNIPPED)
Our Country
--------------------------------
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: We did it ourselves."   - Lao Zi (老子)
-------------------------------------------
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
Re: Australia/RAAF to join US-led air campaign over Syria?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 15:41:27 »
A nitpick - their SHs are already over Iraq. 

That being said, it will be interesting to see what happens.  Both major parties were in agreement for Iraq but that's not to say they will be for Syria.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline S.M.A.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 03:01:36 »
The RAAF officially extends air strikes into Syria as well:

Reuters

Australia to take 12,000 refugees, extend air strikes into Syria
Tue Sep 8, 2015 11:33pm EDT
By Matt Siegel

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australia will accept 12,000 refugees from Syria on top of its current humanitarian intake quota, Prime Minister Tony Abbott said on Wednesday, bowing to pressure from an angry opposition, and extend air strikes against Islamic State in Iraq into Syria.

Abbott had said on Sunday that Australia would allocate more spaces in its 13,750 annual quota to those fleeing violence in Syria, without boosting overall arrivals.

(...SNIPPED)
The Royal Australian Air Force is already taking part in the U.S.-led coalition campaign against Islamic State targets in Iraq, but its aerial role in Syria has so far been limited to refueling and intelligence gathering.

The decision to expand air strikes was in response to a formal request from Washington, Abbott said.

"This is not an attempt to build a liberal pluralist market democracy overnight in the Middle East. That's been tried and it didn't magnificently succeed," Abbott said.   

(...SNIPPED)
Our Country
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: We did it ourselves."   - Lao Zi (老子)
- Winston Churchill

Offline OTR1

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 10:50:39 »
Dimsum, the eight Rhinos returned to Amberley a while ago. The current det is six Hornets from Willytown.

There were suggestions last week that they might move from Dubai to Incirlik for the Syria business, but it seems they're staying put.

That's gonna be some long, long transits...........

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 11:01:14 »
It'll be slightly longer but not much longer than what they are already doing, just because if how the airspace is set up. 

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 11:01:49 »
Dimsum, the eight Rhinos returned to Amberley a while ago. The current det is six Hornets from Willytown.

There were suggestions last week that they might move from Dubai to Incirlik for the Syria business, but it seems they're staying put.

That's gonna be some long, long transits...........

Thanks for the update.  I knew (and forgot) about the Supers returning to AMB but I thought the Tindal crews were still there.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline S.M.A.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
RAAF jets blast IS strongholds in Syria and Iraq
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 12:51:44 »
Australia knows its contribution to the air campaign is relatively small numerically compared to other allies like the US.

However, their continued participation shows they do not hide behind the excuse that "our contribution is too small compared to our allies to matter, therefore we're withdrawing" that forms current rationale of our current Liberal govt. in Ottawa for withdrawing. 

Australia 7 News via Yahoo

Islamic State strongholds blasted out of the ground by Australian jets

Tim Lester - 7News on March 31, 2016, 6:35 pm

Australia's war on Islamic State continues in the Middle East with incredible accuracy.

7 News can now show you rare aircraft video of two attack missions on Islamic State bases as our Defence Forces now take charge of one in every 10 of the Coalition's air strikes in Iraq and Syria.

(...SNIPPED)
Our Country
- Winston Churchill

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
Re: RAAF jets blast IS strongholds in Syria and Iraq
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 13:07:08 »
Australia knows its contribution to the air campaign is relatively small numerically compared to other allies like the US.

However, their continued participation shows they do not hide behind the excuse that "our contribution is too small compared to our allies to matter, therefore we're withdrawing" that forms current rationale of our current Liberal govt. in Ottawa for withdrawing. 

Australia 7 News via Yahoo

The difference between balls and no balls.
I'm just like the CAF, I seem to have retention issues.