Author Topic: Canada's New, Liberal, Foreign Policy  (Read 152506 times)

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
Re: Canada's New, Liberal, Foreign Policy
« Reply #225 on: March 11, 2016, 13:35:36 »
I'm kind of looking forward to the first State dinner between the Young Dauphin and President Trump... >:D

I also predict rough handling at the hands of Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping.
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline Bird_Gunner45

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #226 on: March 11, 2016, 13:48:04 »
I'm kind of looking forward to the first State dinner between the Young Dauphin and President Trump... >:D

I also predict rough handling at the hands of Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping.

Trump has zero chance at the presidency even if he becomes the candidate...the GOP is as likely to work against him as they are for him. Time to "let 'er go"

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #227 on: March 11, 2016, 14:24:15 »
Trump has zero chance at the presidency even if he becomes the candidate...the GOP is as likely to work against him as they are for him. Time to "let 'er go"

"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

"If change isn’t allowed to be a process, it becomes an event." - Penny Mordaunt 10/10/2019

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards” ~ Soren Kierkegaard

ignoramus et ignorabimus

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #228 on: March 11, 2016, 14:45:44 »
Trump has zero chance at the presidency ....
I just love  absolutes, especially when dealing with things like humans... or politics.    :pop:

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #229 on: March 11, 2016, 15:24:51 »
From the Chronical Herald

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 16:02:05 by George Wallace »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7995.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #230 on: March 11, 2016, 15:43:28 »

Yup. Just like there is no way in hell that Ontario or Alberta would ever elect a NDP government.

Never, ever bet on what voters will do.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7995.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #231 on: March 11, 2016, 15:48:00 »
From the Chronical Herald

Try get your picture bigger next time George. I forgot how much fun it is to move my mouse all over the screen to see a picture a tenth at a time. :P
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #232 on: March 11, 2016, 15:57:11 »
Try get your picture bigger next time George. I forgot how much fun it is to move my mouse all over the screen to see a picture a tenth at a time. :P

Yeah.....Been trying to figure a way to shrink it without copying it to my computer...... [:-[

[EDIT:  Happy Dance.  Found a smaller version.   [:D  ]

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 16:03:49 by George Wallace »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #233 on: March 11, 2016, 17:07:19 »

Code: [Select]
[img width=400]http://thechronicleherald.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/ch_article_main_image/bm_cartoon/Bruce%2003%2011%202016%20RGB.jpg[/img]

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #234 on: March 14, 2016, 23:53:50 »
Found something while rereading an old issue of the Canadian Military Journal (Vol 15 No 4 Autumn 2015) in an article entitled "Prescriptions for Defense".

The article starts with a historical background outlining some of the recommendations and prescriptions for Canadian defence and international security policy offered in the preparation of the 1994 "White Paper", especially from a group called "the Canada 21 Council".

Some of what they propose seems to have become policy almost by default, as defense budgets eroded steadily due to inflation and lack of recapitalization, and some of the policy prescriptions seem to have been mirrored in the election rhetoric of the LPC, in particular the claimed lack of desire to have offensive strike capabilities as the reason to reject the F-35.

http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/vol15/no4/page59-eng.asp

in the new strategic context there was “no obvious need to maintain the wide range of air, ground, and anti-submarine conventional forces needed to repel a military attack” and that in any event, the Canadian defence budget “today cannot not meet the rapidly increasing costs of a modern, high-technology military. Unless policy is changed quite radically, the result will be that Canada will have simply a miniature model of a traditional ‘general purpose’ military force—one with just a little of everything, but not enough of anything to be effective in any conceivable situation.”

To the Canada 21 Council, the “new global circumstances” and the “reality of financial stringency” demanded a restructured military establishment “that would be capable of assuring our territorial sovereignty, assisting in the protection of North America, and participating in common security operations to a greater extent than is possible now.” The protection of territorial sovereignty, a task falling primarily upon the air force and the navy, required “an ability to know what is going on within our borders, in our airspace, and in our contiguous oceans.” By contrast, participating in common security operations, “usually under the aegis of the United Nations, implies having reasonable numbers of combat-ready, well-trained troops, with fully adequate equipment, able to respond to requests in well-defined circumstances.” The Council advocated the “adoption of a Canadian policy that would specify the level of military operations above which Canada would decline to participate,” adding that it did “not believe that Canada either wishes to or could afford to maintain armed forces that would be capable of undertaking a peace enforcement role against modern, heavily-armoured military forces.” Moreover, “if we wish to expand and improve the armed forces’ ability to support common security missions, while also protecting territorial sovereignty, operating the search and rescue system, maintaining stand-by forces for aid to the civil power, and being prepared to act in national disasters, we must find the necessary resources by reducing or eliminating some current roles. This, in turn, implies the reduction or elimination of some of the armed forces’ traditional military capabilities.”

Now the motivations are a bit different (especially the desire by Gerald Butts etc. to turn funding towards domestic clients and pro Liberal riding's), but the end results will be the same, highly constrained capabilities and a lack of ability or desire to participate in larger coalition efforts. Look for more "Virtue Signalling" behaviours, including expanded "Blue Beret" missions to promote the peacekeeping mythology.

Sadly, if anything, traditional peacekeeping missions are even less likely now, and the proliferation of inexpensive cast off Soviet era tanks ranging from T-55 to T-72s in large numbers around the world (along with Chinese knock offs) mans that we are more likely to encounter modern, heavily-armoured military forces, rather than less.
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline S.M.A.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #235 on: March 31, 2016, 12:44:08 »
A little too early to call this a "thaw" ?

CBC

Trudeau government signals thaw in relations with Russia
Policy of refusing to engage 'only punishing ourselves,' Stéphane Dion tells university audience

By Evan Dyer, CBC News Posted: Mar 29, 2016 5:29 PM ET Last Updated: Mar 30, 2016 6:02 PM ET

Foreign Affairs Minister Stéphane Dion outlined the Liberal government's new approach to foreign policy in a speech in Ottawa Tuesday in which he denounced the Harper government's decision to disengage with Russia over Ukraine.

Canada's foreign minister seemed to signal a shift in relations with Russia Tuesday in a speech at the University of Ottawa.

Stéphane Dion was discussing his philosophy of "responsible conviction," which he says will guide his choices at the helm of Global Affairs Canada.

He says Canada will follow its principles, but do so in a pragmatic manner, on files ranging from the war against ISIS to climate change.

(...SNIPPED)

Our Country
--------------------------------
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: We did it ourselves."   - Lao Zi (老子)
-------------------------------------------
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill

jollyjacktar

« Reply #236 on: March 31, 2016, 13:00:15 »
The PM has just been invited to visit Cuba as well.

Offline S.M.A.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #237 on: April 02, 2016, 00:50:16 »
The threat of nuclear terrorism revisited:

Canadian Press

PM: Canada will offer $42M to help protect nuclear material from terrorists
[The Canadian Press]
Alexander Panetta,
April 1, 2016

WASHINGTON - World leaders watched a video of a hypothetical nuclear terrorist plot Friday as they closed out a two-day summit dedicated to ensuring such a calamity never comes to pass.

More than 50 countries made commitments to the nuclear-safety cause — including Canada, which promised $42 million for global efforts to protect fissile materials.

The summit was the last of four organized during the presidency of Barack Obama. He'd made the issue a priority amid signs that al-Qaida and other terrorist groups were actively seeking nuclear weapons.

(...SNIPPED)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 00:59:11 by S.M.A. »
Our Country
--------------------------------
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: We did it ourselves."   - Lao Zi (老子)
-------------------------------------------
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #238 on: April 02, 2016, 09:16:11 »
The threat of nuclear terrorism revisited:

Canadian Press

I did not find this offensive when I first read the title.  I now find it offensive that we are spending all that money, not on upgrading our own security, but in sending it to other nations, some of which are corrupt and likely to funnel it off elsewhere.  I seriously am at a loss as to trying to figure out when this Liberal Government and all its' spending will stop? 

jollyjacktar

« Reply #239 on: April 02, 2016, 09:26:02 »
It will stop when the public become tired of it and take the trash to the curb.  Just like they did in October past.  Will it really be better afterwards?

Offline Bread Guy

• Bread Baker & Info Curator (still learning @ both)
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #240 on: April 02, 2016, 11:07:45 »
... I now find it offensive that we are spending all that money, not on upgrading our own security, but in sending it to other nations, some of which are corrupt and likely to funnel it off elsewhere ...
I don't recall a whole heap of objection to $28 million being spent "not on upgrading our own security, but sending it to other nations" in 2014 (or even more than that in 2012) - or is the risk of nuclear weapons getting into the wrong hands so much less now than then, so this funding isn't needed as much?   ;)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 11:15:50 by milnews.ca »
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #241 on: April 02, 2016, 11:08:46 »
The PM has just been invited to visit Cuba as well.

Well Fidel is a old family friend. He attended Sr Trudeau's funeral.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #242 on: April 02, 2016, 20:36:25 »
I wonder about the obsessive need for the Liberals to be admired by dictators and third world thugs.

Offline jmt18325

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #243 on: April 02, 2016, 21:22:24 »
That's akin to; when did you stop beating your wife?

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #244 on: April 02, 2016, 22:56:08 »
It's always possible for money to simply find its way into the hands of organized criminals who happen to run countries, but the goal of keeping a tight accounting of radioactive materials is worthwhile.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Offline Bread Guy

• Bread Baker & Info Curator (still learning @ both)
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #245 on: April 03, 2016, 07:43:47 »
I wonder about the obsessive need for the Liberals to be admired by dictators and third world thugs.
This isn't just a Team Red thing - another example here (a country listed in the top ten of countries of origin for refugees accepted to Canada in 2014, and top 15 countries of origin for refugees in 2014).
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #246 on: April 03, 2016, 09:33:06 »
This isn't just a Team Red thing - another example here (a country listed in the top ten of countries of origin for refugees accepted to Canada in 2014, and top 15 countries of origin for refugees in 2014).

320 from the US in 2015?  Makes me think that this data is not that accurate, and including legitimate immigrants.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #247 on: April 03, 2016, 09:38:09 »
Look at the World Bank data, George:

In the 2011-15 period, it claims that there were 95 refugees that came FROM Canada, which is according to them 5 more than came from Saudi Arabia in the same period. Does this make sense to you?

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #248 on: April 03, 2016, 11:18:18 »
Look at the World Bank data, George:

In the 2011-15 period, it claims that there were 95 refugees that came FROM Canada, which is according to them 5 more than came from Saudi Arabia in the same period. Does this make sense to you?

I'm curious about the one individual driven to escape from the rigours of life in Iceland.
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

"If change isn’t allowed to be a process, it becomes an event." - Penny Mordaunt 10/10/2019

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards” ~ Soren Kierkegaard

ignoramus et ignorabimus

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #249 on: April 03, 2016, 11:31:24 »
Actually; it makes you wonder what they use as a definition of "refugee".