Author Topic: SDA during refit, question  (Read 4737 times)

jollyjacktar

SDA during refit, question
« on: January 14, 2012, 11:56:05 »
Did a search and found no clear answer.  I am aware that when your ship goes into refit you lose SDA after 6 months.  I have just been posted from one ship to another, my new ship is in refit since Oct.  My former supervisor was of the opinion that when you join later on in a refit and SDA is still in force that your 6 months starts ticking from your COS.  I am of the opinion that I have to abide by the gaining units cut off date.  I have, however, not been able to get a clear answer as the opinions change from one RMS/Pay type to another.  Does anyone here know a clearer answer to this situation?

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
Re: SDA during refit, question
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 15:10:27 »
From my own personal experience the ships company will all lose SDA at the same time. I have been posted to ships in refit and recieved SDA for only a couple of months and lost it with the rest of the ships company and I have also joined a ship in refit and not gained SDA because the Pay Office decided that they were not going to give SDA out for members that joined after the ship went into refit. Sorry I could not give you a definitive answer but I don't think even the Navy has a set policy.
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

jollyjacktar

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 15:39:01 »
No, that's OK.  I was just wondering more or less.  As far as I'm concerned the clock runs out in April.  But, even our Admin types don't seem to have a clear idea of SDA with the other folks who have just shown up.  Me, I'm just happy they are going to do an audit as I should be at a higher level and that's fine to get that rate when it comes.  But you're right, there does not seem to be a set policy and everyone has a different opinion.  Would be nice to know for future reference and guidance to my people.  Thanks.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 17:24:59 »
I know I originated this thread and it is old, but the news is new. 

I took part in the RCN PO/CPO PD day in Ottawa today.  The RCN CPO1, Tom Riefesel, talked to us on several subjects.  One of his topics was with regards to the loss of SDA during a refit and HCM FELEX.

It was deemed by TB, as a result of a west coast grievance, that the RCN policy was wrong in ceasing SDA for ship's companies after 6 months of being in the ditch during a refit and restarting it after coming out or in the case of post-HCM frigates not until RRI.  Therefore, an audit is to be conducted on all ships companies going back to 2001 and those members who had SDA ceased would be reimbursed for the missing money and time towards their level of SDA.  It was stressed that this will take some time to complete and monies will have to be earmarked and set aside to complete.

I was aware of the win for post HCM time, but this announcement was right out of left field.  For those of us who have gone through a refit between 2001 and now, there will be some money coming down the road.  Sometimes the little guy does win.