Author Topic: New Artillery Capbadge  (Read 17964 times)

Offline Petard

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Once a gunner, always a gunner
New Artillery Capbadge
« on: March 21, 2016, 10:19:43 »
Royal Canadian Artillery units are adopting a new cap badge as of 26 May 2016; the attachment has more info

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: New Artillery Capbadge
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 10:29:32 »
All other members of the RCA [who do not pay dues to the regimental fund] entitled to wear the RCA metal cap badge will be required to obtain their own replacement cap badge within the grace period provided.
That was nice of someone in the military to have decided this is so important that soldiers will pay out of thier own pockets so the approval process could be expidited.  I guess you probably don't have to ask treasury board if you order soldiers to spend thier money.

Online FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 11:04:24 »
MCG and I rarely agree when it comes to the button and bows issues because, unlike him, I do see the benefit of customs changing even when it costs either the crown or the individual a few bucks. Every tradition and every custom of the service has to have a first day at some point in time.

On this one however I stand with MCG.

It's not that as an older gunner I do not want to see any change to what was my tradition.

The problem that I see here is that the changes are so minute and picayune that one almost needs a magnifying glass to see what they are. IMHO one should not expend money (public or private) on a change in buttons and bows unless it makes a significant statement. This change fails the test in a big way.

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 11:15:43 »
I would love to be there when someone gets jacked up for the wrong capbadge because the grass is not "noticeably thicker".
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline acen

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 12:36:04 »
You may not have boots, you may not have a camouflage uniform that can hide the type and colour of your undergarments, and the grass may not be greener, but at least it will be "noticeably thicker" on the cap badge. Oh, by the way, pay up, that thicker grass doesn't pay for itself!

/sarcasm

Online Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 12:55:26 »
This is all about a 2006 cap badge?

It took 10 years to settle and "issue" them? What are they, boots?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 12:59:23 by Bzzliteyr »
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline my72jeep

• It is the duty of all canadians to be prepared to defend thier country
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 13:01:45 »
There goes my idea that they couldn't make you buy issue kit. Going to need to reread the regs.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 15:10:09 by my72jeep »
MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53

Online SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 14:23:00 »
Wel, I for one am glad the Artillery finally settled the cap badge debacle. Now they can get back to other things.

Like Guns.

And Air Defence.

And doctrine....

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 14:25:02 »
Wel, I for one am glad the Artillery finally settled the cap badge debacle. Now they can get back to other things.

Like Guns.

And Air Defence.

And doctrine....

Don't forget to add there the beret color ! lol
"Do not pray for an easy life , pray for the strengh to endure a difficult one"   Bruce Lee

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 16:59:59 »
I want to know about the money chain - who is profitting from this?

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 17:19:29 »
I want to know about the money chain - who is profitting from this?

Hmmm. When I was a recruit in the RCA Depot, our course NCOs collected so much from us that was used to buy the regimental accoutrements we were presented on our graduation parade. In the regiments we purchased replacements, especially for our lanyards, from the Maple Leaf Services, a non-military, arms length, organization that operated the canteens and remitted a percentage of the profit to the regimental fund.

My reading is that somebody or somebodies wanted to have a different cap badge from the Royal Artillery, but didn't have the cajones to come up with something that would have been really distinctive. I also feel they realized any attempt to discard our current badge would have been shot down by a regimental-wide revolt. To spot the differences at a glance, it seems too me, would take the forensic sophistication of the crazy PhD lady on Bones.

Offline Happy Guy

• Rate Post
  • Retirement is just around the corner!
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 18:25:57 »
Given the current tendency to go back to our historic and memorable British past (sarcasm) is the 2006 badge the same as the current Royal Artillery cap badge?

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 18:31:56 »
Old Sweat: 
Maple Leaf Services, a non-military, arms length, organization that operated the canteens and remitted a percentage of the profit to the regimental fund.

Wasn't MLS run by retired General that's why there was only small profits were distr?  ;D
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 18:42:08 »
Old Sweat: 
Wasn't MLS run by retired General that's why there was only small profits were distr?  ;D

I can't recall who ran it. We all had the belief/notion it was not very efficient. MLS certainly did not survive integration.

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 18:49:01 »
Given the current tendency to go back to our historic and memorable British past (sarcasm) is the 2006 badge the same as the current Royal Artillery cap badge?

I think so, although there were variations in the colour, metal, etc. Certainly the post-Korea badge was identical for all intents and purposes. In that regard, one should recall that the Second World War gunners considered RA and RCA units were interchangeable, and there were airborne units co-manned by British and Canadian gunners. I have seen a statement from that era to the effect that there was one regiment, not two. Canadians attended courses at the Royal School of Artillery and Brits went to the Canadian School of Artillery at Seaford.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 18:51:01 »
The picture is small, but it looks different here:  http://www.army.mod.uk/artillery/artillery.aspx

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 18:56:12 »
The picture is small, but it looks different here:  http://www.army.mod.uk/artillery/artillery.aspx

Indeed, but I have framed prints of both the RCHA and RCA badges at home. In the print the RCA badge also is coloured. Sorry I am at present in Amarilo, TX, so I can't assess it. Also I am unable to look at the horribly faded cloth badges on my old berets, but they were multi-coloured.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 07:10:06 »
I find it difficult to believe that anyone would actually notice the difference in passing.  Why not simply do this by attrition (i.e. simply start issuing the new badge as new personnel join and others need replacements).  This is how it has normally been done in the past for such minor changes.  When the Navy decided that officers' cap badges needed to have silver instead of gold anchors, it took awhile, but everybody managed to change in time and it was no big deal.  No one issued an op order on the issue...
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 07:32:18 »
Ah! Pusser, you just don't understand how the Army works: You don't do anything without an Opord followed by an "O" Group  ;D .

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 07:41:17 »
So aside from the grass not being mowed as frequently, shorter trail, and the thicker and shorter rammer/swab and some font changes...the thing that sticks out to me (when I use a microscope) is that the cannon's barrel no longer is slightly conical with thicker breach and narrower muzzle, but apparently purely cylindrical -- is that how cannons are really made?   ??? 

Seems the Corps got all the minutae right, but pooped the bed on the configuration/design of the actual object of its business...

Well done, RCA!

:-\

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2016, 07:49:20 »
They might as well market this directly to the only group that will actually care about such minor changes: artillery badge collectors.

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• The Fly in Someone's Ointment - Giggity
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2016, 08:13:50 »
So in a few years when we get a King, will the crown have to change again?
Apparently infamous for his one liners.
Oh Giggity Well...........Giggity

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2016, 08:39:13 »

Ah!   You forward thinker, you.  You did have to throw out that minor fact that will keep the "Buttons and Bows Department" in full motion for the next century or two.  And another Empire is created.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline my72jeep

• It is the duty of all canadians to be prepared to defend thier country
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2016, 09:38:22 »
Ah!   You forward thinker, you.  You did have to throw out that minor fact that will keep the "Buttons and Bows Department" in full motion for the next century or two.  And another Empire is created.
Just think about it I belive the next three in line are males, ergo the only thing the buttons and bows department will have to do is minor changes.........
MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2016, 09:43:04 »
There is no "kings' crown" and "queens' crown."   There are several crowns and each new monarch picks the one that will be that monarch's.  So, getting a king next does not mean the crown will change, but any change of monarch might result in the crown changing.