Author Topic: Commission Upon Release  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Commission Upon Release
« on: June 16, 2016, 14:58:47 »
What happens to your commission when you release? Are you "de-commissioned"? Do you "relinquish" your commission?

If you re-join the reserves or reg force a few yeas later, is it a brand new commission, or is your old commission "re-instated"? Would you have a new commissioning scroll with new dates and signatures?

I can't find the references.

Cheers,
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline RocketRichard

• Donor
  • Rate Post
Re: Commission Upon Release
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 15:12:10 »
Don't have the references on hand but from what I understand that when you release you don't relinquish your commission.  If one re enrols the old commission stands and another scroll is not re-issued from what I've been told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 15:19:31 »
Don't have the references on hand but from what I understand that when you release you don't relinquish your commission.  If one re enrols the old commission stands and another scroll is not re-issued from what I've been told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a RESO officer, you can get your commission prior to you having completed your degree. For example, a reserve naval officer under the RESO program can get his commission after he has completed BMOQ, MARS II and MARS III, even if he has no degree.

So let's say that member released from the Forces, does NOT finish his degree, then two years later re-enrolls as an Infantry Officer under the RESO program. Same enrollment program, but he hasn't yet met the training requirements for commissioning under that trade.

But he never relinquished his commission, you say. So would he be an Officer, or an OCdt?

Cheers
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 15:28:52 »
What happens to your commission when you release? Are you "de-commissioned"? Do you "relinquish" your commission?

I released as a 2LT (CEOTP) in 2011 and re-enrolled as a Cpl in my previous trade this year.  Does anyone know the implications if the CFRC did not make me sign a document to relinquish my Commission?

You gave up your commission the day you "released" from the forces in 2011.  Therefore you didn't have to sign anything to relinquish your commission since you did that the day you released.
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,111343.msg1242685.html#msg1242685
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 15:39:48 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 15:47:16 »

But he never relinquished his commission, you say. So would he be an Officer, or an OCdt?

Officer Cadets are officers, just not commissioned ones.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 15:50:53 »
Officer Cadets are officers, just not commissioned ones.

Ugh... splittin' hairs here people!

"Would he be a 2Lt, or an OCdt", or "Would he be a commissioner Officer, or an OCdt"?, or "Would he be able to re-enroll at his former rank, despite lacking the qualifications?".

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 16:04:29 »
See also,

revocation of commission 
If you're looking for specific details about procedures for revoking removing a commission from an officer, it is unlikely that you will find anything with the title "revocation of commission".  In cases other that an officer voluntarily relinquishing his commission in order to serve as an NCM, what you need to read is QR&Os Chap 15 - Release.  Unless an officer voluntarily relinquishes his commission, his service in the CF and his "commission" are not separate items.  When an officer releases (voluntarily, administratively or booted out the door) his commission is terminated.  Since the commission is a direct link between the Sovereign and the officer, that is why the approving authority for release of commissioned officers is the Governor-General.
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,106499.msg1153483.html#msg1153483
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline RocketRichard

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 16:06:16 »

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post