Author Topic: Royal Canadian Air Force headed to mission in Africa ‘very soon’: top general  (Read 320180 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Not a completely accurate assessment. I was in Colombia last fall for some work with regional armed forces. I got to know a Colombian Arty Col quite well, and we discussed the history and current situation at length. He had extensive experience in COIN ops, both in the "traditional" gunner role but also "dismounted" as infantry. While FARC has mostly decided to behave (largely because its leadership got jolly good government positions), not all of that movement has surrendered. And, besides FARC, there is also a lesser known Marxist insurgency: ELN, who have not given up, either.

During the time we were there, the Colombian Army was actively engaged in COIN ops, and we witnessed the military funeral of a Sgt killed in one of the ops.

As well, he told me that they face two other threats: Venezuela (Colombia keeps at least one mech bde on that border), and constant efforts from Cuba to destabilize the region.

So, it isn't necessarily as peaceful as it may seem.

And their Army number about a quarter of a million.  :o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Forces_of_Colombia
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Maybe a Mali deployment and pull security for the drone base ?

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Maybe a Mali deployment and pull security for the drone base ?

With our PM, it will be a mall deployment.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was

:rofl:
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.

OP Connection redux?
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post

He'll be excited to come and visit the troops so he can play African dress up. 
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5240.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Saw a picture this a.m. of 'two Canadian warships tied up in Nigeria'. While technically correct (I guess), I think they are CDVs. Kinda like sending us into war zones with Cougars and Grizzlies. :facepalm:
Diversity includes adverse opinions, or it is not diversity.
Inclusive includes adverse opinions, or is not inclusive.

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Saw a picture this a.m. of 'two Canadian warships tied up in Nigeria'. While technically correct (I guess), I think they are CDVs. Kinda like sending us into war zones with Cougars and Grizzlies. :facepalm:

They're there to work with regional navies and CG's in a training capacity, same as what they do in the Caribbean. As well they are doing quite a bit of support to the various charities.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5240.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Sending Coastal Defence Vessels to the other side of the world. I'm guessing when I say they must've been like bobbing around like a cork on the crossing.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
They are "coastal" vessels, Recceguy. Built for OUR coasts, which are basically open ocean areas. They can take a crossing without too much trouble unless they hit a storm mid-ocean. But then again, even aircraft carriers can be mauled pretty bad by storms if they get caught - Just ask admiral Halsey.  ;D

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5240.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Tanks! OGBD. Learned something new. Cheers.

jollyjacktar

Murry Brewster is reporting on the 6pm CBC news on radio that we are going to Mali.  There will be an official announcement on Monday with the details.  Murry said helos are going to be involved in the mission.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5240.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Did they expand at all on grounds troops or operations?

Offline Privateer

Looking for the bubble.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
Canada sending troops to UN peacekeeping mission in Mali

Link to CBC article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-peacekeeping-mission-mali-1.4580482

Excerpt:
The Canadian military will deploy helicopters and support troops, including medical teams, to the troubled West African nation of Mali later this year, CBC News has learned.

A senior government official, speaking on background, said a formal announcement will be made Monday by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
We outta send a battalion of infantry.
There are no wolves on Fenris

jollyjacktar

I hope this mission isn't fettered with BS ROE so they can take care of themselves properly.  I don't want to start seeing Trenton becoming a frequent destination or at all for that matter.

Online MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
Two tweets by Postmedia's Matthew Fisher:

Matthew Fisher
‏@mfisheroverseas

Canada finally makes small contribution to UN peacekeeping force in Mali. CBC broke story.
Helos & doctors. UN happy to have this but no infantry which UN badly wanted too. Likely to be based in safety of Uganda. Curious this was leaked late on a Friday. Like govt ashamed...?
https://twitter.com/mfisheroverseas/status/974779808776273920

Matthew Fisher
‏@mfisheroverseas

Was told outlines of this 3 months ago. Why so little after so much dithering? Key to this minimalist contribution is Canada only commits to two six month rotations. Hear mission will commute from safety of Uganda. Not very efficient. & why leak this on a Friday evening. Ashamed?
https://twitter.com/mfisheroverseas/status/974783754609745920

Mark
Ottawa
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Offline cavalryman

Done with the demented bureaucracy.

• You can't put a pricetag on patriotism
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
We outta send a battalion of infantry.
We shouldn't send anything.  We have no national interests in Africa.  At least none that are worth the lives of our troops.  And if this is for PMJT's mythical two year seat on the UN Security Council, then it's likely too little, too late.

jollyjacktar

I suspect it has more to do with the naming and shaming about our (lack of) UN involvement these past few days.

I agree that we shouldn't be going to Africa either.

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
I hope this mission isn't fettered with BS ROE so they can take care of themselves properly.  I don't want to start seeing Trenton becoming a frequent destination or at all for that matter.

When was the last mission when we had BS ROE?
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

jollyjacktar

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
There are examples of bad ROE.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2015/12/rules-engagement-need-reform/

Good thing the US isn't undertaking this mission then I guess.
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42074081      I  wouldn't be surprised if the US is already operating in Mali, since there is some serious slapping required.

jollyjacktar

Good thing the US isn't undertaking this mission then I guess.

No, Mr. Dressup is.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42074081      I  wouldn't be surprised if the US is already operating in Mali, since there is some serious slapping required.

There and a few other areas. If a few ne'er do wells get capped you won't see me mourning their demise.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".