Author Topic: Showerthoughts: What small thing has had the largest impact on the Cdn Army?  (Read 10249 times)

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
I came up with this thought this morning:

Smallest thing that has had the biggest impact on our Canadian army?

The Tim Hortons in the Canex in Wainwright.

With the amount of people exercising through that base, there's no doubt it has affected morale.

Thoughts?
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline rmc_wannabe

• CADPAT Computer Nerd
  • Rate Post
  • NTLDR is missing, PRESS Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
Moving into the Information Age

The amount of planning, materials, staff hours, training, money and time we throw into maintaining a Digitized force is staggering.

That doesn't even factor in the amount of Morale Comms we now provide for the same reason.

The quote in my signature block sums it up pretty nicely.
"One of the most feared expressions in modern times is 'The computer is down.'"
 -Norman Ralph Augustine

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post

The amount of planning, materials, staff hours, training, money and time we throw into maintaining a Digitized force is staggering.

That doesn't even factor in the amount of Morale Comms we now provide for the same reason.

What about all the extra man hours responding to badly written emails, misdirected requests, improperly filled filled form 12345 when is should have been the new, revised form 12346, etc?

Oh wait, I didn't specify "positive" or "negative" impact. What does yours fall under?
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Leaders: both good and bad.
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline rmc_wannabe

• CADPAT Computer Nerd
  • Rate Post
What about all the extra man hours responding to badly written emails, misdirected requests, improperly filled filled form 12345 when is should have been the new, revised form 12346, etc?

Oh wait, I didn't specify "positive" or "negative" impact. What does yours fall under?

Depends who you ask and how long they've been in ;)

Digital Native vs. Digital Immigrant and all that jazz.
 -Norman Ralph Augustine

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
Bad:  PowerPoint.

Good PowerPoint.
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
With you half way... disagree on the good side.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post

I had that discussion with a peer that just came from one of the desks in the J3 shop in CJOC.  One of the first questions he normally gets is was is the connectivity or what is the connectivity plan and the folks ain't talking about DWAN.
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
What small thing has had the largest impact on the Cdn Army?

A)  The penis size of whoever in Ottawa is behind introducing all the mindless badge changes (and now, flag changes);

B)  [Alternate charge to A...]   Chain of command being able to "cut & paste" without thinking.
Imagine a world where people lacking the first clue about a topic refrained from posting anyway...

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
OPP.

It changed us from being a command centric military to a staff centric process military.

It has bloated Op orders from something readable in a trench to multi-volume sets.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
OPP.

It changed us from being a command centric military to a staff centric process military.

It has bloated Op orders from something readable in a trench to multi-volume sets.

Accompanied by endless, unintelligible even to the presenters, PowerPoint slides.
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
I would suspect the biggest change has been the ability to stay in touch with your families while deployed.

Offline WeatherdoG

• Rate Post
Accompanied by endless, unintelligible even to the presenters, PowerPoint slides.

Nothing is quite as fun as sitting in lectures all day looking at slides full of tiny text, while someone self important drones on and on reading every word on the slide.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
where you seriously consider slicing your wrists and bleeding out as an alternative  :)

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
I would suspect the biggest change has been the ability to stay in touch with your families while deployed.
I`m amazed at the progress.

Cyprus = 1 phone call per month for 10 minutes
Croatia = once per week for 10-15 minutes IIRC
Bosnia = when ever the phone booth was unoccupied.

I have no idea what happens now. Mike used to call us on a SAT phone from a FOB.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Jed

• Rate Post
Loss of the Rum ration.  [:D
As the old man used to say: " I used to be a coyote, but I'm alright nooooOOOOWWW!"

Offline Jed

• Rate Post
PDR and PER process. 

Lots of Political Correctness and paperwork getting in the way of real leadership action.
As the old man used to say: " I used to be a coyote, but I'm alright nooooOOOOWWW!"

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
Three Letters:  MBA.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Loss of the Rum ration.  [:D

Totally not gone.  Have done it several times in the past year.
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline rmc_wannabe

• CADPAT Computer Nerd
  • Rate Post
I`m amazed at the progress.

Cyprus = 1 phone call per month for 10 minutes
Croatia = once per week for 10-15 minutes IIRC
Bosnia = when ever the phone booth was unoccupied.

I have no idea what happens now. Mike used to call us on a SAT phone from a FOB.

In the past 5 deployments (operation and international exercises) I have supported post Afghanistan, We usually are providing raw internet off the bearer link for folks to Facebook or Email daily/hourly/minute by minute.

I once Facetimed with my wife on her birthday from a field in rural Romania. Singing Happy Birthday in almost real time is revolutionary from a morale standpoint. :P
 -Norman Ralph Augustine

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
EMERGENCY family care plan for tomorrow's sudden early timing to attend the mandatory volunteer-chairity event.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • WordPress Page
With you half way... disagree on the good side.

You must have been very fortunate never to have had to give or to take a lecture supported by overhead projector slides made with a grease pencil.  ;D

PowerPoint - Good / some PowerPoint users - Bad

:cheers:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 21:23:35 by FJAG »
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" book series at:
https://wolfriedel.wordpress.com

Online Old Sweat

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post

The answer is very simple. A four number set, One, Two-Three, One.  :cheers:

Semi-facetious, I'll admit, but it means we became a British pattern army with a tradition of extremely powerful and competent junior and senior NCOs and a penchant for considering directives from on high as the opening point in negotiations. The set also translates from, I dunno, Klingon, maybe as "there has to be a better way, find it."

Less positive, perhaps is a tendency to nit-pick and a belief in a large part of the army that dress regulations are a suggestion.

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
Bad:  PowerPoint.

Good PowerPoint.

Let me clarify a bit.

Bad:  Endless PowerPoint slides read to me, an adult, like I was in preschool.

Good:  the evolution of briefings and lessons from talc and grease pencils to PowerPoint, particularly for those who must prepare them.

Baddest;  Those who must prepare them now have the ability to be easily verbose and pedantic during every presentation.
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline Happy Guy

• Rate Post
  • Retirement is just around the corner!
You must have been very fortunate never to have had to give or to take a lecture supported by overhead projector slides made with a grease pencil.  ;D

PowerPoint - Good / some PowerPoint users - Bad

:cheers:
Concur.  I remember using grease pencils for a presentation on magnetic declination that I gave during a leadership course. Painful for me and much more so for my follow students / peers.