Author Topic: Best job for somebody with a nursing degree.  (Read 10363 times)

Offline bionicledude0

• Rate Post
Best job for somebody with a nursing degree.
« on: October 11, 2016, 02:24:11 »
My situation is that I am going to complete my nursing degree in 2 years time. This being said I don't necessarily want to be nurse if it is not a direct combat role. A friend of mine mentioned I could apply to be a medical officer, then apply to CSOR after 2 years.
thanks in advance :cdn:

Offline Ostrozac

• Rate Post
Re: Best job for somebody with a nursing degree.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 02:53:17 »
My situation is that I am going to complete my nursing degree in 2 years time. This being said I don't necessarily want to be nurse if it is not a direct combat role. A friend of mine mentioned I could apply to be a medical officer, then apply to CSOR after 2 years.
thanks in advance :cdn:

Well it is certainly possible to do a BScN as your undergrad prior to Medical School, it isn't the usual path -- some kind of pure BSc (with a bio focus) is a more usual path.

So are you looking at finishing your degree on your own, then applying for MOTP once you apply to Medical School?

Offline ArmyDoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 07:11:24 »
Being a Medical Officer will not allow you to have a "direct combat role" either. If that is your goal, join the combat arms and wait for the next conflict. If you don't want to be a nurse, why are you completing your nursing degree?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 09:54:48 »
My situation is that I am going to complete my nursing degree in 2 years time. This being said I don't necessarily want to be nurse if it is not a direct combat role.

You can read about nursing in the CAF, and direct combat - or lack of - here,

The "Nursing Officer" Merged Thread 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,4249.300.html
13 pages
In any war, there are two tremendous tasks. That of the combat troops is to fight the enemy. That of the supply troops is to furnish all the material to insure victory. The faster and farther the combat troops advance against the foe, the greater becomes the battle of supply. EISENHOWER

Offline bionicledude0

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 11:52:24 »
Well it is certainly possible to do a BScN as your undergrad prior to Medical School, it isn't the usual path -- some kind of pure BSc (with a bio focus) is a more usual path.

So are you looking at finishing your degree on your own, then applying for MOTP once you apply to Medical School?
I will be finishing my nursing degree on my own then applying.

Being a Medical Officer will not allow you to have a "direct combat role" either. If that is your goal, join the combat arms and wait for the next conflict. If you don't want to be a nurse, why are you completing your nursing degree?

The reason I am finishing it is because if I quit now then I will have all that time and money but if I keep going then I still have a degree on my shoulders. 

Offline Inspir

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 03:55:54 »
You could always work as a nurse civy side and be a combat arms reservist. Once you put in the required time apply for CSOR.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 08:42:47 »
I wonder if the OP will be back?

Date Registered: October 11, 2016

Last Active: October 11, 2016
In any war, there are two tremendous tasks. That of the combat troops is to fight the enemy. That of the supply troops is to furnish all the material to insure victory. The faster and farther the combat troops advance against the foe, the greater becomes the battle of supply. EISENHOWER

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 09:07:24 »
I wonder if the OP will be back?

Date Registered: October 11, 2016

Last Active: October 11, 2016

You should seriously get paid for your work here...

"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!