Author Topic: Let "The Journey" Begin  (Read 4867 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Let "The Journey" Begin
« on: January 12, 2017, 06:33:00 »
Spotted this on the public tendering page - also attached if link doesn't work:
... The Department of National Defence has a requirement to develop The Journey – a modern concept for personnel support which will make Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) personnel support more compassionate, dependable and comprehensive, while ensuring effectiveness, efficiency and affordability in a healthy and safe workplace.

The DND wishes to contract a senior leadership advisor to assist the team’s leadership in developing a Strategy and Action Plan. The senior leadership advisor will occupy a key post in the team and will be principally focused on providing internal advice to the team leadership on the execution of its mandate ...
Here's the list of companies being invited to send in a proposal:
... 3056058 Canada Inc.
A Hundred Answers Inc.
Altis Human Resources (Ottawa) Inc.
Auguste Solutions and Associates Inc.
Calian Ltd.
Ernst & Young LLP
Excel Human Resources Inc.
Hickling, Arthurs, Low Corporation
International Safety Research Inc.
Lannick Contract Solutions Inc.
Le Groupe Conseil Bronson Consulting Group
MaxSys Staffing & Consulting Inc.
Mindwire Systems Ltd.
Olav Consulting Corp
Stratos Inc ...
"Personnel support" - is that HR services, or is that broader support?
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline beachdown

• Rate Post
Re: Let "The Journey" Begin
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 12:05:24 »
I wonder how many companies on that list have subsidiary companies also listed i.e. masquerading as another company?

Offline Flavus101

• Rate Post
Re: Let "The Journey" Begin
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 15:12:23 »
It is rather depressing that we have to contract outside personnel for this matter...

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
The Journey
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 06:45:23 »
Good post Pete.  I did 4 years on IR, Halifax - Kingston.  I feel your pain.  Its a good program and its very useful.  In my case I lived off base in the extreme west end of Kingston in a basement apartment.  Also there are those people out there who will make snide remarks about you being on IR or your spouses "inability to move".  Just shrug that off.

I know I may be one of the few, but I really wanted to live in Barracks and eat at the mess, but the BComd had a policy that was a no go for that.  Give me free rations and quarters and let me buy my own net connection and I would be a happy dude.

I've never understood this mentality in the Military, it's outdated.  Considering many other Industries move workers all over the planet with no expectation that their family moves with them.  A relative of mine owns an Oil & Gas Drilling Company in Alberta and has literally ran projects all over the world: Libya, Venezuela, SE Asia, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Russia, etc.  You name it he has lived and worked there.  His family has never once moved from Calgary where they reside.

Another Uncle of mine is a Mechanical Engineer who designs turbines for Power Plants.  He has lived all over the place as well, his wife and my cousins though?  Quispamsis NB is home and they never moved once.

Moving a family every 3-4 years is stupid IMO, and usually completely unnecessary; however, we refuse to change our ways.  It demonstrates to me, a lack of respect for our work force and that we view our soldiers, sailors and aviators as disposable.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 06:55:14 by Humphrey Bogart »

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
Re: The Journey
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 07:16:59 »
I've never understood this mentality in the Military, it's outdated.  Considering many other Industries move workers all over the planet with no expectation that their family moves with them.  A relative of mine owns an Oil & Gas Drilling Company in Alberta and has literally ran projects all over the world: Libya, Venezuela, SE Asia, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Russia, etc.  You name it he has lived and worked there.  His family has never once moved from Calgary where they reside.

Another Uncle of mine is a Mechanical Engineer who designs turbines for Power Plants.  He has lived all over the place as well, his wife and my cousins though?  Quispamsis NB is home and they never moved once.

Moving a family every 3-4 years is stupid IMO, and usually completely unnecessary; however, we refuse to change our ways.  It demonstrates to me, a lack of respect for our work force and that we view our soldiers, sailors and aviators as disposable.

A very Snr member in my trade and I had a conversation over some smokes and coffees recently and he was explaining to me the "Journey Program" (I may have the name wrong).  It sounded like a complete revamp of our TOS and career paths.  With differing career and pay potential depending on your ability/willingness to take on different duites, like postings, deployments and positions in first line units. 

Couple this with the rumored dress changes coming and our CAF will very different when I leave than the one I joined in the late 90s.  It is certainly and interesting time to be in the machine. 
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 10:45:28 »
A very Snr member in my trade and I had a conversation over some smokes and coffees recently and he was explaining to me the "Journey Program" (I may have the name wrong).  It sounded like a complete revamp of our TOS and career paths.  With differing career and pay potential depending on your ability/willingness to take on different duites, like postings, deployments and positions in first line units. 

Couple this with the rumored dress changes coming and our CAF will very different when I leave than the one I joined in the late 90s.  It is certainly and interesting time to be in the machine.

So, RegF vs Class-B service?
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 11:08:04 »
So, RegF vs Class-B service?

Something similar to that.  Kind of blurring the lines between Reg, Class B and Class C.  He also mentioned individual work schedules and hours.  You want to work 3 days a week because you have a young family ?  Ok.  You pay and career path will reflect that. And you can come and go from these differing scenarios with "ease". 

The way I understood it it sounded like your pay and career will pretty much depend on how much you are willing to do.  I don't have an issue with this method, but what do you do when no one wants to sail ?  Or deploy ?

Example, want to stay in Halifax and not sail, you can but you wont go beyond killick and your pay will be reduced. Want to earn more ?  Take the tasks and postings and put for the effort to earn it.

That's the way I understood it.  I am sure some senior people on here have heard of this program.  They can correct me if I am out in left field.
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 11:19:49 »
A very Snr member in my trade and I had a conversation over some smokes and coffees recently and he was explaining to me the "Journey Program" ...
I have heard many rumours on this, including one that suggests some senior leaders are marketing the concept internally well ahead of getting government approval.
Anyway, this probably belongs in its own thread.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 13:59:23 »
... They can correct me if I am out in left field.

You're not in left field, at least not the outfield.  Many COAs being considered and nothing set in stone as of yet.

As for the post that started this thread - hope it's sorted.  Soonest. 
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.