Author Topic: Rejoining Questions About Prior Service  (Read 1118 times)

Offline beardedsawyer

• Rate Post
Rejoining Questions About Prior Service
« on: January 31, 2017, 19:34:38 »
This afternoon I reported to my local CFRC for the (PRes) medical and interview. I was last in the forces in the mid 90's. During the interview I was informed that it would not be necessary to take the BMQ as I had prior service. But that was 20+ years ago. Does anyone know a reason for this? I am quite puzzled.
"If people had rubber pockets, they'd steal soup."

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: Rejoining Questions About Prior Service
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 19:56:41 »
This afternoon I reported to my local CFRC for the (PRes) medical and interview. I was last in the forces in the mid 90's. During the interview I was informed that it would not be necessary to take the BMQ as I had prior service. But that was 20+ years ago. Does anyone know a reason for this? I am quite puzzled.

Unless things have changed, I would double check on that.  If things have not changed, even as a PRes, you would have to do BMQ if you were out for more than five years.  Perhaps things have changed; or the Recruiter couldn't do the math.  Double Check, as I have seen people with less than five years break in Service (Reg to PRes), PLQ qualified, land up on a BMQ.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 19:57:05 »
This afternoon I reported to my local CFRC for the (PRes) medical and interview. I was last in the forces in the mid 90's. During the interview I was informed that it would not be necessary to take the BMQ as I had prior service. But that was 20+ years ago. Does anyone know a reason for this?

This is a good place to ask questions about joining the Reserves,

QUESTIONS about JOINING THE RESERVES 
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php?topic=16735.175

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline beardedsawyer

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 21:50:18 »
Thank you George Wallace.

I am in the process of contacting the unit for further info. The officer that conducted the interview seemed very certain. The idea related to me was that I already know rank, structure, history, boot shining and such so it would be a waste of time.

Honestly, the idea of reporting to my unit without going through what every other soldier has to endure bothers me greatly. I have been through basic before and absolutely see the need for it. I can't see this as casting me in a positive light.

Mariomike, I know everyone says 'sorry' when they are corrected as to the erroneous placement of their posts. I missed the proper placement entirely.
"If people had rubber pockets, they'd steal soup."

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 22:34:21 »
Mariomike, I know everyone says 'sorry' when they are corrected as to the erroneous placement of their posts. I missed the proper placement entirely.

Good luck with your application.  :)
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 16:12:50 »
There's a handy dandy chart that the recruiters follow when answering this question.
There are several cases where BMQ is "good for life" regardless of how long you've spend away from the CAF, basically as long as a member reached OFP chances are BMQ is not going to be required upon re-entry into the CAF.

Side Note: The chart is a CDA Directive that came out in September 2013, anyone who enrolled/CT'ed prior to this didn't get the same provisions...