Author Topic: Don't Politicize the Failed Yemen Raid  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Baden Guy

Full Member.

• Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Don't Politicize the Failed Yemen Raid
« on: February 04, 2017, 08:38:07 »
Well written article that answered a lot of questions I had:

Don't Politicize the Failed Yemen Raid

America cannot punish its elected officials for allowing its military, diplomatic corps, and intelligence services to take risks necessary to pursue its interests.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/02/dont-blame-trump-for-the-failed-raid-in-yemen/515496/?utm_source=twb

Offline ArmyDoc

• Rate Post
Re: Don't Politicize the Failed Yemen Raid
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 11:00:38 »
What surprised me was the amount of cabinet level scrutiny and decision making on tactical level military operations.  Shades of Robert Macnamera and the Viet Nam war.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 11:40:16 »
What surprised me was the amount of cabinet level scrutiny and decision making on tactical level military operations.  Shades of Robert Macnamera and the Viet Nam war.

They didn't have satellite/UAV coverage giving all the higher-ups near real-time footage back then. 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 12:20:57 »
#OperationEagleClaw
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Ostrozac

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 13:58:07 »
They didn't have satellite/UAV coverage giving all the higher-ups near real-time footage back then.

The lack of such technology didn't stop LBJ from putting a sand table model of Khe Sanh in the basement of the White House. Technology can certainly enable micromanagement, but isn't necessarily the cause.

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 14:56:39 »
The lack of such technology didn't stop LBJ from putting a sand table model of Khe Sanh in the basement of the White House.

If we had known that at the time we would have inscribed a big F U in our sand for him......
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 16:44:54 by GAP »
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline Underway

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 17:42:40 »
Not sure if this should go here or not but it looks like the US isn't the only one taking casualties in Yemen.  Getting pretty dangerous to sail in those waters:

BBC Story with video of the attack.

Arab News Story

General info on other attacks in this article