Author Topic: Posted to Ottawa Thread  (Read 5657 times)

Online Ostrozac

• Rate Post
Re: Posted to Ottawa Thread
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2017, 11:34:58 »
That rule remains the same. Still does not take sting out of waiting another 6 months for the promotion. We shall see this afternoon.

Understood. Not only is there the privilege of being promoted to and serving at the new rank, but in addition to that, six months pay is six months pay.

Best of luck this afternoon.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2017, 11:37:47 »
Find someone in the current workplace to find out how long they will be on Cumberland; there's lots of folks moving to new facilities as the Carling move unfolds.  It would not be good to pick a place based on working at Cumberland, then have your work move somewhere else a month or so after arriving.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2017, 12:40:44 »
Find someone in the current workplace to find out how long they will be on Cumberland; there's lots of folks moving to new facilities as the Carling move unfolds.  It would not be good to pick a place based on working at Cumberland, then have your work move somewhere else a month or so after arriving.

I was told that if this office is moved it will be to the Louis St Laurent II building across the river in Gatineau.
But I take your point.

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 12:44:00 »
Understood. Not only is there the privilege of being promoted to and serving at the new rank, but in addition to that, six months pay is six months pay.

Best of luck this afternoon.

Thanks!

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2017, 20:24:37 »
So my cunning plan worked. I went and bought Roughrider season tickets the other day and as certain as the sun rising in the east a posting message arrived in the inbox! Early christmas and birthday presents for the kids!

Now for the move to Ottawa. I'm really torn between buying and renting and I was wondering if there was any folks getting posted out of Ottawa who want to rent out their place. I'd like to live in the west since I'll be working at the building on Constellation Drive.

Anyone who maybe interested in a 55 year-old single white male taking care of their house can PM me at any time.
Cheers!

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2017, 20:39:50 »
Constellation drive is surrounded by Algonquin College students, and residences for them.  Most rentals in the area are geared towards students.  Fortunately, there's express bus service right to Baseline station,so you're not limited to the immediate area; you may want to look at the area around the Westboro and Dominion transit stops - where groceries, alcohol, restaurants and shops are all within walking distance.

On the plus side, the College Square Loblaws (just across the street from the Constellation offices) carries beer and wine, and sells them until 2300, Monday to Saturday (Sundays alcohol sales stop at 1800).
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2017, 21:19:43 »
Constellation drive is surrounded by Algonquin College students, and residences for them.  Most rentals in the area are geared towards students.  Fortunately, there's express bus service right to Baseline station,so you're not limited to the immediate area; you may want to look at the area around the Westboro and Dominion transit stops - where groceries, alcohol, restaurants and shops are all within walking distance.

On the plus side, the College Square Loblaws (just across the street from the Constellation offices) carries beer and wine, and sells them until 2300, Monday to Saturday (Sundays alcohol sales stop at 1800).

Thanks!
Should I be worried if I see a lot of uniforms at the Loblaws during working hours? LOL!

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2017, 21:30:15 »
As I recall, it's mostly IM folks out there.  So suddenly the state of DND's IM/IT makes sense...

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2017, 09:22:31 »
So my cunning plan worked. I went and bought Roughrider season tickets the other day and as certain as the sun rising in the east a posting message arrived in the inbox! Early christmas and birthday presents for the kids!

Now for the move to Ottawa. I'm really torn between buying and renting and I was wondering if there was any folks getting posted out of Ottawa who want to rent out their place. I'd like to live in the west since I'll be working at the building on Constellation Drive.

Anyone who maybe interested in a 55 year-old single white male taking care of their house can PM me at any time.
Cheers!

Worked out there yesterday, and again today, and the word I heard from some was that they are all moving out to Carling within the year.

Mostly civilians there (2 Constellation Drive); very few "uniforms". 
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2017, 09:57:17 »
Worked out there yesterday, and again today, and the word I heard from some was that they are all moving out to Carling within the year.

Mostly civilians there (2 Constellation Drive); very few "uniforms".

The officer I'm replacing said 2019.

Another question, how far west is the LRT operating?

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2017, 11:07:52 »
LRT opens in 2018, and goes from Tunney's pasture (west) to Blair (east).  By 2023 it will extend to Moodie (west) and... well, somewhere in the remote, distant wilds of Orleans (east).

Move dates to Carling Campus are carved in warm butter.  They are more likely to shift right than left.

And read up on Workplace 2.0 before moving to Carling.  There's an adjustment required... that I'm still undergoing...

Online Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2017, 11:29:25 »
There's a fairly informative DWAN website on the Carling Campus at http://intranet.mil.ca/en/change/carling-campus.page.

I especially like the "Resources" tab, which says "Explore the tools and resources below to learn more about the move, and to see how to make the transition to Carling Campus as smooth as possible"....and then proceeds to direct CAF members to the webpage for Mental health resources for CAF members and families.  Read into that what you will.   ;D