Author Topic: CF moving to Multicam?  (Read 32173 times)

Offline bllusc

• Rate Post
CF moving to Multicam?
« on: March 09, 2017, 21:24:15 »
According to the latest published minutes of the National Defence Clothing and Dress Committee (meeting held 2 Dec 2016) and published this February, the CFCWO briefed the committee on a desire from the CDS to potentially move toward a single CADPAT (MultiCam) vice the current temperate and arid patterns.

Offline CombatMacgyver

• Rate Post
  • Escaped from Valcatraz
Re: CF moving to Multicam?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 07:45:09 »
I dunno, the only guys I see wearing multicam are SOFCOM guys.

Frankly it doesn't work as well as the differing variations of CADPAT.  You go from three or four (temperate, arid, arctic, urban <- yes it exists) patterns that function extremely well in specific environments to one pattern that functions sort-of-okay-but-not-great in all environments.

As always, money is likely the motivator.  Cheaper to produce one pattern than four (not that they actually produce and issue the last two I listed).

In the end, can I just get a shirt that fits and isn't made of cardboard?  Really?... That'd make me happy.

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 09:32:49 »
The current CDS would be long gone before any change like that would happen. I can picture the gongshow of switching to Multicam uniforms similar to the Pips/Crowns and Grey Rank changes multiplied by 100.

You're also likely to get stuck with cardboard uniforms forever, as Peerless Garments has cornered the market on lowest-bidder crap that they can churn out to us as they are the only company winning every manufacturing contract we have for textiles unless its something patented that they cannot buy the patents for.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 09:35:17 »

Offline slayer14

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 11:17:14 »
According to the latest published minutes of the National Defence Clothing and Dress Committee (meeting held 2 Dec 2016) and published this February, the CFCWO briefed the committee on a desire from the CDS to potentially move toward a single CADPAT (MultiCam) vice the current temperate and arid patterns.

I saw the briefing note produced by DLR with intent for the CCA stating pros and cons. In the end it stated that it would cost a significant amount of money to make the switch. But even more problematic is that only one company in Canada owns the rights to MultiCam. Multicam as a whole being a propriety of Crye Precision.

The conclusion of the BN stated that a further analysis would have to be done to move forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 13:32:05 »
Thats why the US went to Scorpion-W2 as their new camo pattern, because DARPA owns those rights.

Offline Ostrozac

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 14:46:03 »
Thats why the US went to Scorpion-W2 as their new camo pattern, because DARPA owns those rights.

The UK did something similar with MTP, which is another similar-to-but-not-the-same-as-Multicam pattern.

I highly encourage feasibility studies -- if we actually think about these things before we do it there might be less chance of it being enormously screwed up during the initial implementation.

Offline Lerch

• The Guns, thank God the Guns!
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 10:43:39 »
I dunno guys, with the way that the last roll-out of new combats turned out, I only forsee guys walking around with CADPAT shirts and MC trousers...and RSM's developing a nervous tic before every parade.
Stay frosty

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 12:36:14 »
I dunno guys, with the way that the last roll-out of new combats turned out, I only forsee guys walking around with CADPAT shirts and MC trousers...and RSM's developing a nervous tic before every parade.

That would never happen if we didn't keep trying to parade in clothing that was never supposed to be used for parades!  There is NO good reason for any unit to "parade" in operational clothing.  Just as there is no good reason for anyone to wear operational clothing in climate-controlled offices in Canada.  Perhaps if we only used operational clothing for the purposes for which it was designed (field/sea operations) than we wouldn't have the shortages we do with desk officers wearing out our most expensive clothing while sitting at a computer in Ottawa.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 12:37:58 »
That would never happen if we didn't keep trying to parade in clothing that was never supposed to be used for parades!  There is NO good reason for any unit to "parade" in operational clothing.  Just as there is no good reason for anyone to wear operational clothing in climate-controlled offices in Canada.  Perhaps if we only used operational clothing for the purposes for which it was designed (field/sea operations) than we wouldn't have the shortages we do with desk officers wearing out our most expensive clothing while sitting at a computer in Ottawa.

But then you'd have to use an iron and boot polish all the time ;)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 13:11:04 »

It seems to be a losing battle Pusser. Did you see the pictures of the CDS at MARPAC and the honour guard in NCD's and CADPAT?

Why do we have orders and directives when this crap goes on?

I also saw pictures from yesterday of the same outfit in Calgary.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 13:24:34 »
If its any consolation, Pusser, I wear salt and peppers while I sail my desk.  Even though I don't get the points to support that as it's not my dress of the day.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 13:28:04 »
Really? Really? to quote Trump: Sad!!!

Who in god's green earth came up with the idea of a guard in NCD wearing white web belt and bayonet holders ? ? ? ? ?

Give me a break.   :facepalm:   :surrender:

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 13:30:44 »
It seems to be a losing battle Pusser. Did you see the pictures of the CDS at MARPAC and the honour guard in NCD's and CADPAT?

Quick!! Someone wake up the Lt(N) on the right!!   8)

Who is the ginger/civi dude to the left of the CDS in the picture?   
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 13:35:05 »

Who in god's green earth came up with the idea of a guard in NCD wearing white web belt and bayonet holders ? ? ? ?

Give me a break.   :facepalm:   :surrender:

To be fair, from my spies out west who told me that MARPAC pushed back but the directive came down from CDS to make it so.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 13:40:59 »
Who is the ginger/civi dude to the left of the CDS in the picture?

At least he has the decency to look perturbed about what's going on...
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 13:48:26 »
At least he has the decency to look perturbed about what's going on...

Maybe he spotted Sleepy   :D

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 14:54:01 »
Here is a all in one camouflage 

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2017, 18:17:39 »
Don't even joke about that, are we will all be raiding the cadet QMs to get it back...

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2017, 21:06:21 »

Who in god's green earth came up with the idea of a guard in NCD wearing white web belt and bayonet holders ? ? ? ? ?

Well, the CDS did the same in Comox a little while ago, as did the Comd RCAF in the fall. 

The folks across the pond do homecoming parades in combats as well:

Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2017, 21:19:26 »
Well, the CDS did the same in Comox a little while ago, as did the Comd RCAF in the fall. 

The folks across the pond do homecoming parades in combats as well:

So its an army and RCAF thing. I think it's wrong and I hate seeing the Navy being sucked down into this slovenly attitude, but if people are making it up as they go along, I guess our next parade we'll do white gaiters for the sailors and black leather gaiters and brown gloves for the officers.

To quote my parents, "Would you jump off a bridge because everyone else is doing it?"

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 21:37:52 »
So its an army and RCAF thing. I think it's wrong and I hate seeing the Navy being sucked down into this slovenly attitude, but if people are making it up as they go along, I guess our next parade we'll do white gaiters for the sailors and black leather gaiters and brown gloves for the officers.

Yep.  I figured the RCN would be the first to do nude formal parades.  Although I thought the officers might try to colour co-ordinate their gaiters and gloves, if that's all that they'll be wearing...

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 22:00:36 »
Generally, in Commonwealth and other Armed Forces, today's service dress uniform was yesterday's combat uniform. The predecessor units of the one on parade in the preceding photograph once fought in the same scarlets as the band is wearing, which was subsequently replaced with khaki drab service dress for field use. Tomorrow's field uniform will likely be form-fitting spandex with a powered armored exoskeleton and modular built-in radios, sensors, and weapons, and automatic chameleon camouflage, whereupon today's CADPAT will become the dress uniform.

And the IDF does not even issue a dress uniform to the vast majority of it's personnel.

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 22:13:22 »
Generally, in Commonwealth and other Armed Forces, today's service dress uniform was yesterday's combat uniform. The predecessor units of the one on parade in the preceding photograph once fought in the same scarlets as the band is wearing, which was subsequently replaced with khaki drab service dress for field use. Tomorrow's field uniform will likely be form-fitting spandex with a powered armored exoskeleton and modular built-in radios, sensors, and weapons, and automatic chameleon camouflage, whereupon today's CADPAT will become the dress uniform.

And the IDF does not even issue a dress uniform to the vast majority of it's personnel.

I'm glad I'll be retired before that happens.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2017, 22:24:26 »

To quote my parents, "Would you jump off a bridge because everyone else is doing it?"

There was a saying when I was in the army...

"No inspection-ready unit will likely pass combat, and no combat-ready unit will likely pass an inspection".

I've done CofC parades in combat w/FFO.

Come to think of it, what I consider the most important type of parades, they all seem to be in CADPAT...

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 22:33:17 by Eye In The Sky »