Author Topic: Are we falling behind in Math and Science?  (Read 1684 times)

Offline EricBoss

• EricBoss
  • Rate Post
Are we falling behind in Math and Science?
« on: April 03, 2017, 03:02:59 »
According to Forbes, Asian kids (Living in far east Asia) are killing it in Math and Science now.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nickmorrison/2016/11/29/far-east-strengthens-grip-on-math-science-rankings-u-s-students-slip-further-behind/

Does that mean us North Americans are falling behind?

How can we improve North American academic success?

I just think we need more innovators and free thinkers like the Wright brothers - *sighs*  [:(

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Are we falling behind in Math and Science?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 08:39:25 »
Does that mean us North Americans are falling behind?
Personally, I believe that we  North Americans are falling behind... which suggests adding Grammar to our Math and Science shortcomings.

How can we improve North American academic success?
Do you believe that these Asian wiz-kids are genetically predisposed to excel in the STEM fields (science, technology, engineering, mathematics)....or maybe...just maybe, their society -- parents, community, schools -- encourage  success there?  I'm pretty sure that if they were routinely told, "go play with your cell phone, surf YouTube videos, and leave me alone," then those kids would be equally enroute to "Idiocracy."

I just think we need more innovators and free thinkers like the Wright brothers
To paraphrase Vizzini, "Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Gates, Zuckerman, Musk?  Morons."

Offline EricBoss

• EricBoss
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 13:14:12 »
haha Yes might as well add grammar in there too bud :) (Damn you Mrs. Winship - ha!)

Offline RocketRichard

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 18:11:47 »
'Canadian 15-year-olds are among the best in the world in science and science-based technology, according to a new report 2016 from the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).'

Always room for improvement  but no need to hit the panic button. Having taught students and teachers on 3 continents I believe our systems in Canada are pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 22:04:35 »
I would like our education systems to work on critical thinking because not everything on the internet is true.

... and some people cannot even distinguish satire from fact.

Offline ueo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 07:08:10 »
I would place interpersonal communications (non electronic) way up there on the priority to teach list.
Take the tone of the company you are with. Lord Chesterfield

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 10:41:01 »
I would place interpersonal communications (non electronic) way up there on the priority to teach list.

Says the one posting on an online forum...  ;D
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 00:42:17 »
Orientals have been excelling at math and science for decades. You can probably add most of the arts also
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline ueo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 06:14:35 »
Lumber: Your snide comment aside, I  had learned these skills and put them to use long before the advent of the internet, chatter and all the truncated forms of present day communication. I have also worked in academia and still hold that we must teach our children the basic face to face constructs and skills. Does that preclude me participating in a forum such as this, especially one that demands well thought out and presented posts? What say the rest of you?
Take the tone of the company you are with. Lord Chesterfield

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 08:22:02 »
Lumber: Your snide comment aside, I  had learned these skills and put them to use long before the advent of the internet, chatter and all the truncated forms of present day communication. I have also worked in academia and still hold that we must teach our children the basic face to face constructs and skills. Does that preclude me participating in a forum such as this, especially one that demands well thought out and presented posts? What say the rest of you?

Our past experience don't preclude us from participating in anything; fill your boots. My comment was not meant to be snide, but light and humorous.
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 09:09:05 »

I, for one, say: You are right. You must have worked in academia before to use sentences like "basic face to face constructs" to mean social skills.  [:D

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 09:36:37 »
... You must have worked in academia before to use sentences like "basic face to face constructs" to mean social skills.  [:D
Touché  :rofl:
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 08:04:35 »
..... a forum such as this, especially one that demands well thought out and presented posts?
I'm sorry; I just can't decide which emoji is most appropriate.....   ;)