Author Topic: Legal Pot for Canada (and the taxes from it)  (Read 6106 times)

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
Legal Pot for Canada (and the taxes from it)
« on: April 14, 2017, 15:16:24 »
We're taxing the new legal weed. Sounds like a great place to find $5B to bring us up to a respectable budget.

Not that much I think. The intention is to make it affordable so people won't turn to the black market. Hell you have to be 19 for a drink but 18 to get high.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
Re: Legal Pot for Canada (and the taxes from it)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 15:36:48 »
Not that much I think. The intention is to make it affordable so people won't turn to the black market. Hell you have to be 19 for a drink but 18 to get high.

The age is not set in the legislation - age will be set by each province and territory separately
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 15:41:46 »
The age is not set in the legislation - age will be set by each province and territory separately

Interesting, hopefully not less than 19 then.

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 15:53:28 »
Interesting, hopefully not less than 19 then.

If it is tied or matched to the Provincial Liquor Legislations on age limits, then you may see some provinces legislating for 18 years of age.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 16:02:41 »
I would have liked to see the federal legislation set a minimum age from which provinces could establish their own older thresholds.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 16:15:13 »
I would have liked to see the federal legislation set a minimum age from which provinces could establish their own older thresholds.

There have been medical studies that could justify that, if the Government would find such legislation necessary.  I, however, feel that the Liberal Government will ignore medical research and go for the "votes" instead.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline trooper142

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 16:15:26 »

Not completely true.  The federal government set a minimum age of 18, so there is age in the legislation, just the room for each province to set a higher limit as they see fit.

I see this as allowing provinces to set the age as it does for alcohol, which I suspect will allow them to sell in their respective liquor distribution systems; but time will tell.

Overall, good first start, I look forward to seeing the amendments at committee!

Offline trooper142

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 16:16:34 »

The legislation does state a minimum age of 18, and allowing for the provinces to have higher thresholds.

Offline Kat Stevens

beth am dyrnu braf yn y gwddf?

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 17:28:40 »
Part of the argument for legalization is to remove the criminal element from the equation.  There will always be criminal involvement, as long as 13 year old kids want to get high, so you're not really removing them, just changing their target demographic.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 17:33:54 »
Does this mean drug testing for the military is going away, as the drug stays in your system from 10 to 90 days depending on frequency unlike alcohol.

كافر

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 17:50:20 »
Does this mean drug testing for the military is going away, as the drug stays in your system from 10 to 90 days depending on frequency unlike alcohol.

I don't think so. I think there's scope in the NDA to proscribe marijuana, under the "not prescribed by a qualified medical provider" perspective.

I'm also not convinced that the "it's legal" or even the alcohol is legal argument is entirely valid, given how little we still know about the drug.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 17:55:43 »
I don't think so. I think there's scope in the NDA to proscribe marijuana, under the "not prescribed by a qualified medical provider" perspective.

Interesting I have heard more than one conversation at work saying they will be using when the new laws come into affect.

كافر

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 19:40:05 »
Interesting I have heard more than one conversation at work saying they will be using when the new laws come into affect.

Interesting.  If they use the "alcohol is legal" argument, they seem to then be forgetting that alcohol is not tolerated in the work place.  Alcohol use while not in the work place is tolerated.  The same concept should then be applied by these folks.....Should it not?

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 20:10:15 »
Interesting.  If they use the "alcohol is legal" argument, they seem to then be forgetting that alcohol is not tolerated in the work place.  Alcohol use while not in the work place is tolerated.  The same concept should then be applied by these folks.....Should it not?

When I say they will use, then I would assume at home just like having a drink. What about on ship alongside in a foreign port? There's all kinds of questions to be answered in regards to the military being allowed to use.

كافر

Offline ModlrMike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 20:23:56 »
What about on ship alongside in a foreign port?

In some countries, Japan for example, that could result in a long jail term.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline ModlrMike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2017, 20:29:48 »
You just know that there's going to be someone who forgets that possession is still illegal in many countries.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2017, 22:52:38 »

The using "alcohol is legal" argument is a red herring and distracts and diverts attention away from the discussion about marijuana and legalization.

Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 08:47:05 »
I'm waiting for what they're going to set as legal limits for intoxication - there are a couple states in the US that actually have legislated blood levels that define intoxication for driving,flying, etc.  Can't wait to see the looks on faces when they're pulled over for driving stoned.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 08:53:57 »
All the jibber-jabber aside....I think we as a society will rue the day this comes about.... :(
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline Ludoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2017, 09:17:47 »
I'm waiting for what they're going to set as legal limits for intoxication - there are a couple states in the US that actually have legislated blood levels that define intoxication for driving,flying, etc.  Can't wait to see the looks on faces when they're pulled over for driving stoned.

MM
you may be interested in this: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-impaired-driving-changes-1.4069889

From the article:
Three new drug-related offences will be also be created for drivers who have consumed drugs within two hours of driving. A driver who is found to have two nanograms but less than five nanograms of THC per millilitre of blood could face a maximum fine of up to $1,000 (THC is the primary psychoactive found in cannabis). A driver who has a blood level of more than five nanograms of THC, or has been drinking alcohol and smoking pot at the same time, will face a fine and the possibility of jail time. In more serious cases, a drug-impaired driver could face up to 10 years if convicted.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 09:23:16 »
If it is tied or matched to the Provincial Liquor Legislations on age limits, then you may see some provinces legislating for 18 years of age.

I remember when the legal drinking age in Ontario was 21.

Was lowering it a "social improvement"? I wonder if the same question could apply to marijuana, if / when they make it legal?

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 09:46:06 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 11:19:07 »
The using "alcohol is legal" argument is a red herring and distracts and diverts attention away from the discussion about marijuana and legalization.

It is one argument that those advocating legalization of marijuana always pull out, red herring or not.  They want to equate the legalization of marijuana to a commonly accepted substance that is already legal.  They figure a precedence has already been made with alcohol, and should apply just as equally to marijuana.  They will not recognize this as being "apples and oranges".

They will also reject or ignore any medical studies that discuss the damage caused to brain development before the ages of 21, and any studies that cover cases of paranoia and schizophrenia.  Their focus is solely on the beneficial aspects of the marijuana, ignoring any harmful consequences that could occur. 

With the passage of the legislation to legalize marijuana, I can foresee a rush by many who currently do not indulge, to experiment with it out of curiosity.  The first few months should prove interesting on supply and demand.

Offline Flavus101

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2017, 11:20:49 »
I am not a fan of setting the legal age for the use of substances above the age you legally become an adult and can vote. The idea that the state views you as being mature enough to be able to vote and help change the direction of the country, yet not mature enough to make a personal decision seems backwards.

The further we keep pushing back the age where adults become responsible for their own choices the longer we have adult children who will never take responsibility for their actions/choices. This is a massive problem in universities and colleges. Compare the average dude two years after they started working full-time right out of high school and the average dude who is in second year at university. I think you'll find some seriously lacking character qualities in the university guy (not saying there won't be any in the other young full-time worker).

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2017, 11:49:48 »
I am not a fan of setting the legal age for the use of substances above the age you legally become an adult and can vote. The idea that the state views you as being mature enough to be able to vote and help change the direction of the country, yet not mature enough to make a personal decision seems backwards.

The further we keep pushing back the age where adults become responsible for their own choices the longer we have adult children who will never take responsibility for their actions/choices. This is a massive problem in universities and colleges. Compare the average dude two years after they started working full-time right out of high school and the average dude who is in second year at university. I think you'll find some seriously lacking character qualities in the university guy (not saying there won't be any in the other young full-time worker).

So we should totally ignore the fact that scientific research has found that the human brain is still in a state of development into the early 20's, just because we have decided that a person legally becomes an "adult" at an earlier age?

Offline QV

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2017, 11:57:14 »
Well George by that argument we should bump the voting age higher, after all voting is a very important decision and we wouldn't want people without a fully developed brain to contribute to such an important decision.