Author Topic: Policy on MEL  (Read 988 times)

Offline Cdn_Medic

• Rate Post
Policy on MEL
« on: April 28, 2017, 16:11:11 »
Good day,

I'm looking into the policy that says that after two consecutive 30 day MEL you need a TCAT. I can't seem to find it on the CMP intranet.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
"...Pilot, Radar...turn right, heading...3-6-5..."

Offline Cdn_Medic

• Rate Post
Re: Policy on MEL
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 16:21:47 »
I found those, but scanning through them I didn't find anything on the two consecutive 30 day chits.

Is there an actual policy on it, or is this just what we have been doing.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 16:34:55 »
I am just a button monkey...here's the only other thing I can find.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-medical-occupations/cf-medical-category-system.page

Temporary Categories (TCats) and Permanent Categories (PCats)

11. Frequently, it becomes necessary to temporarily change one or more of the medical category factors while waiting for a medical condition to stabilize enough to allow for it to revert back to the previous Med Cat. The validity of most temporary changes shall not exceed six (6) months, but a TCat may be renewed once (i.e., maximum 12 months temporary medical category status).

12. An initial TCat may be assigned for 12 months in exceptional circumstances where there is no benefit to the member to be re-assessed at the 6 month point. Examples would include pregnancy or situations where there will be a prolonged delay in accessing definitive therapy.

13. A 12 month time frame should allow an accurate assessment of the prognosis for most medical conditions. As soon as the member's condition has plateaued and/or is not expected to significantly improve in the foreseeable future, a PCat should be assigned, even before the end of the 12-month period of TCat. A statement regarding prognosis shall be made in the PHA at the earliest reasonable time.

14. In the rare case where additional temporary status beyond 12 months may be warranted for extenuating circumstances, the case must be reviewed and approved by D Med Pol /Medical Standards section. Guidelines for the application of and approval authorities for TCats and PCats are in CF H Svcs Gp Instruction 5020-07 Changes of Medical Category or Employment Limitations.

The ref in yellow might be what you're looking for.
"...Pilot, Radar...turn right, heading...3-6-5..."

Offline ArmyDoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 07:31:59 »
Good day,

I'm looking into the policy that says that after two consecutive 30 day MEL you need a TCAT. I can't seem to find it on the CMP intranet.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks
AFAIK, there is no hard and fast policy stating that 2 x 30 days MELs = TCAT. Each patient is assessed individually on a case-by-case basis, and the prognosis (ie outlook for recovery to full duties) drives the decision on whether a TCAT is required.