Author Topic: Def Min's "Architect" Statements (split fm Walts et. al.)  (Read 24625 times)

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Def Min's "Architect" Statements (split fm Walts et. al.)
« Reply #150 on: May 04, 2017, 13:04:30 »
No matter how much people currently dislike the Minister...... it's not Leslie.  ;)

Offline Jed

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2017, 13:30:29 »
I think I detect a lot of political party bias kicking in here.  [:D Possibly from all the parties.
As the old man used to say: " I used to be a coyote, but I'm alright nooooOOOOWWW!"

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2017, 13:32:59 »
No matter how much people currently dislike the Minister...... it's not Leslie.  ;)

Thank God......
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #153 on: May 04, 2017, 13:36:34 »

Yet.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

jollyjacktar

« Reply #154 on: May 04, 2017, 13:38:53 »
Thank God......

To both Lightguns and Journeyman above :goodpost:  Rifleman62... bite your tongue the good idea fairy might be listening   :tsktsk:

While the CDS is my leader, he still gets his marching orders from the MND.  Sort of a chicken or egg idea, no?

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #155 on: May 04, 2017, 13:39:00 »

Yet. Who do you think is the next liberalogical choice if The Great Architecht steps down over this?
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #156 on: May 04, 2017, 13:50:54 »
Yet. Who do you think is the next liberalogical choice if The Great Architecht steps down over this?

My money's on Judy Foote.
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #157 on: May 04, 2017, 13:57:36 »
Yet.
So young to be so cynical  ;D

That said, I have to agree - never say never ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2017, 15:11:16 »
karen mccrimmon?
Someday I'll care about milpoints.

Offline cavalryman

Done with the demented bureaucracy.

• You can't put a pricetag on patriotism
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #159 on: May 04, 2017, 15:28:05 »

Maryam Monsef  [:p

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #160 on: May 04, 2017, 15:45:11 »
I guess we just can't slap 6 months of extra duties on the MND and be done with it?

As for him being a yes man, I suspect everyone in Cabinet will fit that description to a point, for all we know he might be doing a decent job of defending the military despite the best efforts of the rest of Cabinet to stick a knife into them. We knew the Liberals where going to repeat the decade of darkness, we hoped he could put up a good fight and make them see reason, I suspect that they will use him as the lightening rod for all the problems of the CF and let him be consumed by it. After all he is hardly part of the core Liberal heart, being a west coaster and being different.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #161 on: May 04, 2017, 16:10:09 »
As for him being a yes man, I suspect everyone in Cabinet will fit that description to a point,  ...

I presume with time everyone becomes a "yes man" when there's such a thing as a "party whip"  ;D

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

sandyson

« Reply #162 on: May 04, 2017, 21:28:21 »
After the defence policy is published with or without dollars, we will know whether or not he was effective as MND. Until then, we now know he's not perfect vet. If he had had his foot on a bar rail, no notice would have been made of the remark.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #163 on: May 04, 2017, 21:46:41 »
If he had had his foot on a bar rail, no notice would have been made of the remark.

Best comment on the whole affair.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #164 on: May 04, 2017, 22:21:02 »
And if me auntie had bollocks she'd be me uncle.  He said it where and when everyone was likely to get wind of it. Fluffing up your feathers in the mess over a few G ant Ts and a polite game of cabbage football is not what he did. Decorum and all that, dear boy.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #165 on: May 04, 2017, 23:53:55 »
After the defence policy is published with or without dollars, we will know whether or not he was effective as MND. Until then, we now know he's not perfect vet. If he had had his foot on a bar rail, no notice would have been made of the remark.

He lied to an international audience of government officials while acting as a representative of the Canadian government. More than once if I read things correctly. That's the bottom line no matter how people try to slice it. His valour and commitment are not in question. It seems to me people are upset about his integrity, which is understandable.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 00:00:15 by recceguy »
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #166 on: May 05, 2017, 01:17:19 »
He lied to an international audience of government officials while acting as a representative of the Canadian government. More than once if I read things correctly. That's the bottom line no matter how people try to slice it. His valour and commitment are not in question. It seems to me people are upset about his integrity, which is understandable.

“Mine honor is my life; both grow in one.
Take honor from me, and my life is done.”

Richard II
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #167 on: May 05, 2017, 01:32:58 »
“Mine honor is my life; both grow in one.
Take honor from me, and my life is done.”

Richard II

Seeing as we're quoting Shakespeare, perhaps Macbeth Act 5 Scene 5

I'll let you guess at the part I mean.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 01:36:51 by ModlrMike »
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #168 on: May 05, 2017, 01:48:08 »
Seeing as we're quoting Shakespeare, perhaps Macbeth Act 5 Scene 5

I'll let you guess at the part I mean.

Out, out brief candle!
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #169 on: May 05, 2017, 06:47:46 »
If he had had his foot on a bar rail, no notice would have been made of the remark.

There are many things that many of us have said with a foot on a bar rail that, if said in a public venue, would have had severe consequences.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #170 on: May 05, 2017, 10:23:43 »
He lied to an international audience of government officials while acting as a representative of the Canadian government. More than once if I read things correctly ...
Once internationally, once (at laeast) nationally ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #171 on: May 05, 2017, 10:28:01 »
 :salute: milnews.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Online Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #172 on: May 05, 2017, 11:19:06 »
I have refrained on this one -

I am not a Liberal fan but rereading the start of this thread got me to thinking again.

Sajjan, in India says that he was "the Architect of the Operation"

Apparently, if we can believe him, he gained the phrase from a compliment the CDS paid him.

In terms of that compliment, it seems to me that, rather than the tactical planning of the operation he was specific, in the first instance, of claiming credit for shaping the battlefield through gaining the trust of the locals and thereby gaining intelligence that informed, and may even have prompted the decision to launch, Operation Medusa. 

The actual Operation itself would be still to the credit of all of the Commanders and Planners and Operators that made Medusa a success.

It seems to me that he may have a case for being one of the thousand fathers of a successful operation, and may even have a case for being seminal, if the CDS's compliment can be taken at face value.

On the other hand, it's never appropriate to blow your own horn.  Despite the influence of politicians.

My sympathies are with the MND on this one.
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #173 on: May 05, 2017, 11:33:18 »
I have refrained on this one -

I am not a Liberal fan but rereading the start of this thread got me to thinking again.

Sajjan, in India says that he was "the Architect of the Operation"

Apparently, if we can believe him, he gained the phrase from a compliment the CDS paid him.

In terms of that compliment, it seems to me that, rather than the tactical planning of the operation he was specific, in the first instance, of claiming credit for shaping the battlefield through gaining the trust of the locals and thereby gaining intelligence that informed, and may even have prompted the decision to launch, Operation Medusa. 

The actual Operation itself would be still to the credit of all of the Commanders and Planners and Operators that made Medusa a success.

It seems to me that he may have a case for being one of the thousand fathers of a successful operation, and may even have a case for being seminal, if the CDS's compliment can be taken at face value.

On the other hand, it's never appropriate to blow your own horn.  Despite the influence of politicians.

My sympathies are with the MND on this one.

;D ;D ;D

Watching Fight Club should be part of a remedial training package for the MND. 

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #174 on: May 05, 2017, 12:24:42 »
It seems to me that he may have a case for being one of the thousand fathers of a successful operation

Yes. Agreed.

Had he said "an" instead of "the", most likely nothing much would have been said. Such a claim might not be strictly correct, but it would be easily defensible if it was even noticed.