Author Topic: Heavy Fighting In Marawi City  (Read 1250 times)

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Heavy Fighting In Marawi City
« on: June 10, 2017, 15:42:23 »
Very intense fighting for Marawi which was held by the Mautte group.The Philippine government reports 100 terrorists killed but the cost is high in the loss of Marines and Army personnel.The US is providing technical support from US SF,USN EP-3 and drones.

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/06/10/17/military-confirming-reports-maute-brothers-killed-in-firefight

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40231605
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 15:49:50 by tomahawk6 »

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
Re: Heavy Fighting In Marawi City
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 16:01:44 »
Just as long as they're busy whacking these assholes.  I expect Duarte won't be offering any quarter to them.
I'm just like the CAF, I seem to have retention issues.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 17:37:59 »
Just as long as they're busy whacking these assholes.  I expect Duarte won't be offering any quarter to them.

I think you are probably right. Too much blood has been spilled.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 11:55:10 »

I'm sure it's very coincidental that 8 months ago Duarte wanted US troops out and now find themselves beset by ISIS and in need of US support eh?
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 11:58:52 »
 :bullet:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 11:30:50 by Jarnhamar »
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 15:12:00 »
The irony is delicious.
I'm just like the CAF, I seem to have retention issues.

Offline CBH99

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 15:32:11 »
I was actually thinking this very same thing this morning...

Interesting how ISIS pops up in the Phillipines around the same time the new President wants the US out, but NOW requires US support to fight the jihadi threat.  Coincidental timing.  *tin foil hat time*
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 16:26:57 »
Well Muslim insurgency, Philippines and the US are nothing new. It could be that the wannabe ISIS guys thought that the Philippine army would be on it's own and ISIS desperately needed some sort of success story. It sounds like they activated their cells before they and the political ground was ready. They strike terror for a bit, but they also gave an excuse for the President to act. It's quite possible the President had one of the intelligence agencies insiders in the groups to promote action either with fake info, money or weapons, before they became to strong. 

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 10:30:30 »
Well Muslim insurgency, Philippines and the US are nothing new. It could be that the wannabe ISIS guys thought that the Philippine army would be on it's own and ISIS desperately needed some sort of success story. It sounds like they activated their cells before they and the political ground was ready. They strike terror for a bit, but they also gave an excuse for the President to act. It's quite possible the President had one of the intelligence agencies insiders in the groups to promote action either with fake info, money or weapons, before they became to strong.

I could see that being the case, given that ISIS also has it's claws in Indonesia as well, i'd say it's only a matter of time before this battle goes regional.
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline CBH99

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 15:18:22 »
If ISIS in SE Asia is going to be considered a real threat, then I have to ask...why was it not dealt with sooner?

These guys didn't just organize themselves, arm themselves, and generate their networks overnight.  Groups of armed, organized individuals don't just "happen" in a matter of hours. 

Why were these guys not targeted before a major city was being attacked?   The President of the PH is well known for being extremely harsh on drug dealers & street thugs, can only imagine how much joy he would have taken in taking the fight to these guys.   :threat:

For me, personally - my own humble, irrelevant opinion - it just doesn't add up to me still.
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 19:21:48 »
The Maute brothers were very bad and while ambitious they underestimated the support they thought they might get. Put the tin foil hats back in the closet. >:D
Heavy fighting continues.US SF were spotted operating a drone.

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/06/12/17/look-americans-spotted-flying-drone-in-marawi
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 19:27:12 by tomahawk6 »