Author Topic: Too Much Charisma Can Make Leaders Look Less Effective  (Read 1442 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Too Much Charisma Can Make Leaders Look Less Effective
« on: October 19, 2017, 09:46:49 »
Too Much Charisma Can Make Leaders Look Less Effective

Conventional wisdom suggests that the most charismatic leaders are also the best leaders. Charismatic leaders have, for instance, the ability to inspire others toward higher levels of performance and to instill deep levels of commitment, trust, and satisfaction. As a result, they are generally perceived by their subordinates to be more effective, compared with less charismatic leaders. But our research shows that while having at least a moderate level of charisma is important, having too much may hinder a leader’s effectiveness.

https://hbr.org/2017/09/too-much-charisma-can-make-leaders-look-less-effective?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter_monthly&utm_campaign=leadership&referral=00206&spMailingID=18312038&spUserID=Mzc4OTcxMDI0S0&spJobID=1121204302&spReportId=MTEyMTIwNDMwMgS2
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Re: Too Much Charisma Can Make Leaders Look Less Effective
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 10:37:27 »
I would concur, historically most successful charismatic leaders did well when they appointed a reliable subordinate to manage daily operational affairs and allowed that individual to reign them in as required. 

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 10:50:44 »
http://angusreid.org/trudeau-brand/

‘Charismatic’ and ‘Modern’ or ‘Arrogant’ and ‘Flaky’? Canadians weigh in on the Trudeau Brand

While they have mixed feelings about Trudeau’s celebrity, most Canadians say it’s good for the country

October 19, 2017 – Justin Trudeau’s public persona – the selfie-taking, magazine-cover-gracing, colourful-sock-wearing, global celebrity Prime Minister – has been an integral part of his Liberal Party’s first two years in government. As much as any policy, Brand Trudeau is what comes to mind when thinking about Canada’s government these days.

So, what do Canadians think of their PM’s fame?

The second installment of the Angus Reid Institute’s two-year review of the Trudeau government finds respondents divided in their personal opinions on Trudeau the celebrity – roughly one-third like it, one-third dislike it, and one-third profess to be “neutral.” Asked whether Trudeau’s celebrity is good or bad for Canada, however, a full majority (54%) say it’s a net positive for the country, compared to fewer than one-in-five (19%) who say it’s a bad thing.

Complete results of the survey at link.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 11:49:30 »
A good saying is "Don't mistaken my kindness for weakness"

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 18:04:01 »
Charismatic leaders have, for instance, the ability to inspire others toward higher levels of performance and to instill deep levels of commitment, trust, and satisfaction.

Inspire toward higher levels of performance? I guess so. "Do your job. Get out there and mop them up for me." 

He spared us the pep talks.   

His office was miles away from our station. We did not see Dear Leader ( our supervisor ) very often. Most contact was via land line.

He turned on the charm at HQ for people who could actually do something for him. 

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 17:24:41 by mariomike »