Author Topic: Politics in 2018  (Read 183416 times)

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Politics in 2018
« Reply #1075 on: March 19, 2018, 11:36:34 »
Scheer’s delight? If an election were held tomorrow, CPC could have a shot at majority government

Majority of Canadians disapprove of Justin Trudeau for the first time since he became Prime Minister

March 19, 2018 –  The passage of time appears to have done nothing to soothe Canadian voters irritated with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau since his highly criticized passage to India last month.

This, combined with a simmering unease among the electorate over the federal government’s deficit spending has, for the first time, driven Trudeau’s disapproval rating north of 50 per cent.

Link:
http://angusreid.org/federal-issues-march2018/
If Trudeau has lost Ontario, he's lost his job. Doesn't matter how much he runs the table in Quebec, he's cooked.

Time for them to hit the reset on what they are doing, and try to fix what isn't working, but they have not been good at that since the one year mark of their government in my opinion. They have destroyed their one asset, the likability of the PM with his stupid trips and stupid costumes and stupid scandals about stupid vacations.

Now that the world has turned on Trudeau, the only thing they can stand on is their record, and unless they have a complete turn around in the next year, they don't have much to stand on there.
Someday I'll care about milpoints.

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #1076 on: March 19, 2018, 12:11:59 »
If Trudeau has lost Ontario, he's lost his job. Doesn't matter how much he runs the table in Quebec, he's cooked.

Time for them to hit the reset on what they are doing, and try to fix what isn't working, but they have not been good at that since the one year mark of their government in my opinion. They have destroyed their one asset, the likability of the PM with his stupid trips and stupid costumes and stupid scandals about stupid vacations.

Now that the world has turned on Trudeau, the only thing they can stand on is their record, and unless they have a complete turn around in the next year, they don't have much to stand on there.

Still lots of time for "events dear boy" until the next election.

I have to say Scheer has surprised me so far.  I think he may be more of an opponent for Trudeau than many imagined.
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1077 on: March 19, 2018, 12:20:28 »

I have to say Scheer has surprised me so far.  I think he may be more of an opponent for Trudeau than many imagined.
Sure.

Except that a good many Canadian don't know who he is. And if Trudeau and the liberals were not shooting themselves in the foot all day long every day, Scheer would continue to be an afterthought.

Trudeau is suffering from the same phenomenon that brought him into power. The overwhelming urge among the electorate to throw the bums out.

There is still time for a reset, to take stock of what is working, what isn't, and how to improve in the next year and a bit, and events could happen that destroy his opponents, but I don't see any sign of that, nor do I see a government that realizes that it is making things worse.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1078 on: March 19, 2018, 13:25:07 »

To be honest I think that Trudeau may be more of an opponent for Trudeau than many imagined...
Optio

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #1079 on: March 19, 2018, 15:30:44 »
Except that a good many Canadian don't know who he is. And if Trudeau and the liberals were not shooting themselves in the foot all day long every day, Scheer would continue to be an afterthought.

Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance.
           - Sun Tzu
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #1080 on: March 21, 2018, 11:38:50 »
"Service Canada moves away from calling Canadians Mr., Mrs., or Miss"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/service-canada-gender-neutral-1.4585629

:facepalm:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

jollyjacktar

« Reply #1081 on: March 21, 2018, 11:46:58 »
It's a great day for Peoplekind everywhere.  They might as well, they have trouble delivering satisfactory services anyhow.  They're driving down the highway to irrelevancy it would seem.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1082 on: March 21, 2018, 12:16:58 »
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2018/03/20/trudeau-approval-rating-trump-right-wing-parties-surge-canada/

Justin Trudeau Approval Rating Now Below President Trump as Right Wing Parties Surge In Canada

by Chris Tomlinson20 Mar 20181448

The popularity of Canadian Liberal Party Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is on a steady decline as his approval ratings have fallen below U.S. President Trump in polls as right-wing parties surge across the country.

Data from polling firm Angus Reid shows that 56 per cent of Canadians now disapprove of Prime Minister Trudeau while only 40 per cent approve, while polling firm Rassmussen shows U.S. President Donald Trump with a 47 per cent approval rating.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #1083 on: March 21, 2018, 12:23:52 »
Has there been any other PM in the past who has beaten this dismal record of performance in his first time at bat and survived party scrutiny?  Or is he being a pathfinder and blazing a new trail of selfie glory?  Kind of like a meteor flashing in the night sky.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #1084 on: March 21, 2018, 12:32:35 »
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2018/03/20/trudeau-approval-rating-trump-right-wing-parties-surge-canada/

Justin Trudeau Approval Rating Now Below President Trump as Right Wing Parties Surge In Canada

by Chris Tomlinson20 Mar 20181448

The popularity of Canadian Liberal Party Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is on a steady decline as his approval ratings have fallen below U.S. President Trump in polls as right-wing parties surge across the country.

Data from polling firm Angus Reid shows that 56 per cent of Canadians now disapprove of Prime Minister Trudeau while only 40 per cent approve, while polling firm Rassmussen shows U.S. President Donald Trump with a 47 per cent approval rating.

I'm immediately wary of the stats when the source is Breitbart, a site with definitely no bias.    ::)

But, PMJT has dipped below 50% in the approval ratings.  Not sure about Trump.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1085 on: March 21, 2018, 13:05:17 »
I'm immediately wary of the stats when the source is Breitbart, a site with definitely no bias.    ::)

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/08/politics/trump-marist-poll-approval-rating-march/index.html

A new Marist poll puts President Donald Trump's job approval rating at 42%, his highest in that poll since he took office.

The poll, which was conducted Monday and Tuesday, found that some 50% disapproved of the President's job performance.

Marist's polling is a slightly more positive assessment of Trump's job performance than other recent polls using the same methodology, though only by a few points.
A Quinnipiac University poll released Wednesday pegged the number at 38% approval with 56% disapproving among registered voters, and a Monmouth University poll of adults put it at 39% approval, with 54% disapproving. Gallup's most recent weekly read on the President stands at 39% approval with 55% disapproval.

Online Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #1086 on: March 21, 2018, 14:03:32 »
Has there been any other PM in the past who has beaten this dismal record of performance in his first time at bat and survived party scrutiny?  Or is he being a pathfinder and blazing a new trail of selfie glory?  Kind of like a meteor flashing in the night sky.

I’ve been around a few years....just a couple... but even JTs father wasn’t as narcissistic as JT himself. Nice socks though....
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1087 on: March 21, 2018, 14:04:50 »
... as Right Wing Parties Surge In Canada
Parties? Plural? Is this a deliberate inaccuracy?

Online Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1088 on: March 21, 2018, 14:11:22 »
When presented with an opportunity to praise Trump and trash Trudeau in one fell swoop, credible statistics is a minor concern.

Mind you, as noted in a previous post, credibility itself is of no concern for some people.  :nod:

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #1089 on: March 21, 2018, 14:13:05 »

Breitbart used data from Canadian polling firm Angus-Reid and shows no bias. They simply explain the A-R polling numbers without blame or cause. There is no commentary in it. Simply new stats and historical data. The Breitbart staff were neutral in assessment. No right. No left. That was my reading of it.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1090 on: March 21, 2018, 15:04:23 »
The US poll used by Breitbart is the Rassmussen one, generally the one most favourable to President Trump and therefore the most natural one to use for the purpose of the article quoted.

As (almost) all polls consistently underrated him during the US election campaign, I expect them to continue doing so.

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1091 on: March 21, 2018, 16:28:14 »
http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/national_news/article_5c984ed6-420d-5d56-9817-8967c3eff3f2.html

Liberals offer details of try-out with man at centre of Facebook data controversy 

Liberals offer details of Wylie pilot project

Mar 21, 2018 Updated 14 min ago

OTTAWA - Federal Liberals are sharing details about a pilot project undertaken for their caucus research bureau by the Canadian data scientist at the centre of an international uproar over allegations that Facebook users' data was inappropriately harvested for political gain.

Christopher Wylie came forward in recent days with accusations that a voter-profiling company improperly collected private information from some 50 million Facebook users in order to help seal 2016 victories for Donald Trump's presidential campaign in the U.S. and in the U.K.'s Brexit referendum.

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1092 on: March 21, 2018, 17:29:25 »
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-former-top-canadian-security-officials-join-call-for-ottawa-to-nix/

Former top Canadian security officials warn Ottawa to sever links with China’s Huawei

Robert Fife  and Steven Chase

OTTAWA

Published 2 days ago

Updated 2 days ago

Three former directors of Canada’s key national security agencies are urging the federal government to heed the warnings of U.S. intelligence services and cut Canadian ties with Huawei, the giant Chinese smartphone and telecom equipment maker.

Ward Elcock, John Adams and Richard Fadden are weighing in on the matter after the heads of the CIA, FBI, National Security Agency and the Defence Intelligence Agency recently told the U.S. Senate intelligence committee that Huawei poses a cybersecurity threat to American customers. U.S. spymasters say Huawei’s smartphones and networking equipment could be used to conduct undetected espionage, especially the next, advanced generation of 5G technology.

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale told The Globe and Mail in a statement on Friday that Huawei is being monitored and does not pose a risk to Canada’s cybersecurity.

But Mr. Elcock, a former CSIS director, deputy minister of National Defence, and Security and Intelligence Deputy Clerk of the Privy Council, said he shares U.S. concerns about Huawei, which was founded by a former engineer in the People’s Liberation Army and has been accused of acting as an arm of Beijing.

“I have a pretty good idea of how signal-intelligence agencies work and the rules under which they work and their various operations and … I would not want to see Huawei equipment being incorporated into a 5G network in Canada,” Mr. Elcock told The Globe. Signals intelligence is the monitoring and interception of predominantly foreign communications by national security agencies.

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1093 on: March 21, 2018, 17:33:25 »
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-environment-minister-catherine-mckenna-says-pipeline-fight-puts/

Environment minister Catherine McKenna says pipeline fight puts national climate plan in peril

Justine Hunter

VICTORIA

Published March 18, 2018

Updated 2 days ago

Federal Environment Minister Catherine McKenna, faced with the threat of a growing number of Canadian provinces balking at her government’s climate action plan, is pleading for a truce in the pipeline dispute between the B.C. and Alberta governments.

Continued support for Kinder Morgan Canada Inc.’s pipeline-expansion project was the trade-off Ottawa made to bring the Alberta NDP government on board for a national price on carbon.

Now, with B.C.’s NDP government seeking to block the pipeline, Ms. McKenna sees the potential for Alberta’s crucial support unravelling.
The Globe and Mail

“We are now in a situation where we have two progressive governments, NDP governments, who believe in climate change ... and we could lose our climate plan because you have other politicians who are waiting in the wings who don’t believe in climate change, who don’t believe in climate action, who want to reverse all these policies,” she said. “And that’s not just in one province, that’s in a number of provinces.”

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1094 on: March 24, 2018, 13:58:50 »
Something to strive for in Canada?

A page out of Wynnes book maybe.

Nurses in Australia have to apologise for being white before treating indigenous patients.
https://www.todaytonightadelaide.com.au/stories/nurses-code
There are no wolves on Fenris

jollyjacktar

« Reply #1095 on: March 24, 2018, 15:59:54 »
Something to strive for in Canada?

A page out of Wynnes book maybe.

Nurses in Australia have to apologise for being white before treating indigenous patients.
https://www.todaytonightadelaide.com.au/stories/nurses-code

FFS, this crap is really starting to get out of hand.  Wait until PM Virtue Signalling hears about this.  We'll all be doing it here too.

Offline YZT580

• Rate Post
« Reply #1096 on: March 24, 2018, 16:08:04 »
To whom it may concern, you will be pleased to know that this bomb that has destroyed your factory was constructed in a factory staffed by Canadian indigenous peoples, packed by individuals of Asian descent and the aircraft is flown by a direct descendant of a zulu warrior.   

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #1097 on: March 24, 2018, 16:20:07 »
FFS, this crap is really starting to get out of hand.  Wait until PM Virtue Signalling hears about this.  We'll all be doing it here too.

QUIET YOU!   Don't be giving them any ideas.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1098 on: March 24, 2018, 16:29:06 »

It's not that bad. Before teaching students you should apologize for your whiteness and acknowledge that you're standing before your class in a position of advantage not because of your experience and authority but white privilege and acknowledgement that anyone not a white cis male is at a disadvantage.   

I know I'm annoying but I'm not bitter, it's humorous in a self-destructive way at this point :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 16:33:29 by Jarnhamar »
There are no wolves on Fenris

Online PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #1099 on: March 24, 2018, 16:58:01 »
To whom it may concern, you will be pleased to know that this bomb that has destroyed your factory was constructed in a factory staffed by Canadian indigenous peoples, packed by individuals of Asian descent and the aircraft is flown by a direct descendant of a zulu warrior.   

I am at a loss as to what your point is :dunno:
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz