Author Topic: Politics in 2018  (Read 178881 times)

Online Underway

• Donor
  • Rate Post
Re: Politics in 2018
« Reply #925 on: March 01, 2018, 16:52:40 »
Overall the budget was kinda meh.  The money thrown at gender issues is really not that much despite their branding.  They actually got grudging respect from the Canadian taxpayers federation from not increasing spending to GDP ratio and actually shrinking it to Harper levels (13-14% IRRC), though the CTF were not happy about the deficit in general.  The money given to these "gender" programs is not budgeted to increase at all.  So spending will actually shrink.  This will put the gov't in a position to potentially go into an election year with that potential to come close to balancing the budget.  Of course if they spend it all on pharmacare then that just blows up. 

Gender analysis should be done for all gov't programs/contracts.  I'm surprised it took them so long to implement this.  Even the IMF does this.  It's pretty common in governments and international organizations.  It of course all depends on how its applied. Applying gender standards that are too rigorous to contracts over $1 million will shut out a lot of defence contractors and engineering firms.

Overall though nothing really changed from the last budget to this one except the money going to infrastructure that couldn't be spent goes to the "Liberal client cults".

If the federal gov't wants to really get serious about gender pay gap then they have to implement a serious and expensive gov't daycare plan.  The largest differences in pay come from missing work for children as women are the primary caregivers most of the time.  This is very clear in the research and in the results from places like Quebec and Sweeden who have implemented these policies.

Overall I originally hated the budget but then after looking at the numbers it really didn't change anything from last years.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #926 on: March 01, 2018, 17:00:48 »
Ralph Goodale being hammered by the Press about the Justin Bourne Identity crisis.

:pop:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/video?clipId=1337949

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #927 on: March 01, 2018, 17:27:07 »
Never leave a person behind, yes, but the person always caries their own personal wpn.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #928 on: March 01, 2018, 17:43:04 »
TRANSPARENCY

When the Trudeau Government came into power, they did away with all the legislation on Transparency that the Harper Government had brought in.  Now we see the Liberals doing this:

According to the report by Elizabeth Thompson, “Confidential information from Canadian taxpayers could soon be shared with police and authorities in three dozen countries around the world, under measures included in Finance Minister Bill Morneau’s latest budget. In an inconspicuous section tucked into a small 78-page annex to the budget, the government says it wants to give police and tax authorities new powers to fight tax evasion and advance international investigations into serious crimes, ranging from drug trafficking and money laundering to terrorism.”

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tax-evasion-privacy-crime-1.4554901

OK JUSTIN!  Which way do you want it?  Transparency or NO Transparency?
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #929 on: March 01, 2018, 18:00:13 »
Never leave a person behind, yes, but the person always caries their own personal wpn.
100 percent. They can carry their own kit as well.

I believe these things are about the mental overcoming the physical.  If I can help someone mentally they will do the physical.
Someday I'll care about milpoints.

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #930 on: March 01, 2018, 20:12:39 »
>I don't think trying to help women equates to keeping men down.

Unless this government has discovered a process for ensuring all policy changes are Pareto improvements, some people will be worse off so that others can be better off.

Two people with the same status and performance should be paid at the same rates.  But if you told me one was a uniformed police officer and the other a civilian, I would not object if the uniformed officer was subject to more liabilities of employment - reassignable to duties the civilian is not - and paid more therefore.

And since the usual mistake has been made on the sub-topic of "women in STEM" - not understanding that as women have more choices about what to do, fewer choose STEM fields - I lack faith in the initiatives of the federal government, and the provincial government here in BC.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #931 on: March 01, 2018, 20:50:04 »

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #932 on: March 02, 2018, 01:24:59 »

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #933 on: March 02, 2018, 07:52:49 »
100 percent. They can carry their own kit as well.

I believe these things are about the mental overcoming the physical.  If I can help someone mentally they will do the physical.
Jarnhamar made a good point about a distinction between a fitness test and other strenuous physical activities: it leads to a question.

If you must be able to carry your full load during a BFT, or you aren't meeting the standard required for real operations, then why might it be acceptable during real ops, or during training for ops, that you carry buddy's ruck for a while, instead of leaving him to straggle and eventually fall out?

I'm asking a question, not making a rhetorical statement.

The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #934 on: March 02, 2018, 08:11:01 »
Jarnhamar made a good point about a distinction between a fitness test and other strenuous physical activities: it leads to a question.

If you must be able to carry your full load during a BFT, or you aren't meeting the standard required for real operations, then why might it be acceptable during real ops, or during training for ops, that you carry buddy's ruck for a while, instead of leaving him to straggle and eventually fall out?

I'm asking a question, not making a rhetorical statement.
A good question.

A soldier needs to be able to meet the physical requirements to be in the army. A simple concept.

Because once a soldier has passed the physical requirements, then during training or a real op they can be aided, and more importantly, be the one aiding others. A soldier who cannot meet the physical requirements will always need someone to carry their kit, while a soldier who meets the physical requirements may only occasionally need assistance, or could be the one aiding others.

Online FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #935 on: March 02, 2018, 09:14:09 »
So getting back to politics....

I have never seen Ralph Goodale unable to out-talk the question asked of him. He must be furious that he has been put in this position.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/goodale-grilled-about-atwal-affair-on-parliament-hill-1.3824648

This lack of message management shown by the PMO is becoming the enduring legacy of the Trudeau government.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #936 on: March 02, 2018, 09:23:02 »
Because once a soldier has passed the physical requirements, then during training or a real op they can be aided, and more importantly, be the one aiding others. A soldier who cannot meet the physical requirements will always need someone to carry their kit, while a soldier who meets the physical requirements may only occasionally need assistance, or could be the one aiding others.

That is probably the better way of putting it.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #937 on: March 02, 2018, 09:26:56 »
So getting back to politics....

I have never seen Ralph Goodale unable to out-talk the question asked of him. He must be furious that he has been put in this position.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/goodale-grilled-about-atwal-affair-on-parliament-hill-1.3824648

This lack of message management shown by the PMO is becoming the enduring legacy of the Trudeau government.

This is turning out to be quite the fiasco.  I have a suspicion that the Civil Servant in question has very little actual experience in Security and Intelligence and has done the lateral transfers up the Public Service ladder to arrive in his position.  His 'speculation' and the way that the Trudeau Government has been shifting the blame away from the PM in multiple directions is turning this into a disgraceful insight into the way Trudeau's PMO is running things.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #938 on: March 02, 2018, 09:58:02 »
This is turning out to be quite the fiasco.  I have a suspicion that the Civil Servant in question has very little actual experience in Security and Intelligence and has done the lateral transfers up the Public Service ladder to arrive in his position.  His 'speculation' and the way that the Trudeau Government has been shifting the blame away from the PM in multiple directions is turning this into a disgraceful insight into the way Trudeau's PMO is running things.

The civil servant in question was actually Daniel Jean, the PM's NSA. Not some middle guy.

Which raises even more questions about the PMO as this sort of thing is incredibly odd.  There must have been a lot of political pressure on M. Jean to do this.

If the conspiracy theory is to be believed then why would an MP take the blame and if the MP is at fault then why the conspiracy theory about rogue agents?  Either way they all look like buffoons.  And in trying failing to do damage control they are further pissing off India.

Glad we aren't focused on costumes this time...

Optio

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #939 on: March 02, 2018, 10:04:48 »
The civil servant in question was actually Daniel Jean, the PM's NSA. Not some middle guy.

Being the PM's NSA doesn't exactly have to mean that he has the credentials to actually be such an advisor.  He is filling the job as an appointment.

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #940 on: March 02, 2018, 10:05:12 »
George Wallace; I have a suspicion that the Civil Servant in question has very little actual experience in Security and Intelligence and has done the lateral transfers up the Public Service ladder to arrive in his position.

He doesn't. Posted 24 Feb 18

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/politics/trudeau-appoints-new-national-security-advisor

Trudeau's pick for security adviser shows focus on foreign affairs expertise - 5 May 16

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has picked an experienced deputy minister in foreign affairs rather than a senior security bureaucrat as his new national security adviser. The national security adviser wields much influence. He has the prime minister’s ear on security and intelligence issues, foreign and defence policy and acts as a conduit for conveying the prime minister and cabinet’s directions to the national security community.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #941 on: March 02, 2018, 10:22:25 »
From SDA: http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/

https://www.producer.com/2018/03/india-hikes-chickpea-duty-2/

India hikes chickpea duty again - 1 Mar 18

Extract:WINNIPEG (CNS) — The Indian government has raised the import tariff for chickpeas from 40 percent to 60 percent. This is the second time India has raised the tariff. Published in the Gazette of India on March 1, the government said the tariff is to be imposed immediately, due to circumstances that make it necessary to take immediate action.

The tariffs were placed in order to support Indian farmers who faced lower commodity prices following large world crops of pulses. The Indian government has previously said it wants to reach self-sufficiency for pulses, but many analysts have said that isn’t possible as India relies on variable monsoon rains for its growing season.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau visited from Feb. 18 to 24, where he reached an agreement with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on fumigation issues that Canadian pulses had faced upon on import into the country. The release announcing the agreement didn’t mention import tariffs. Last year Canada exported 10,000 tonnes of chickpeas to India, according to Statistics Canada.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #942 on: March 02, 2018, 10:25:29 »
Being the PM's NSA doesn't exactly have to mean that he has the credentials to actually be such an advisor.  He is filling the job as an appointment.

No it doesn't but it means that you need to be able to navigate political waters like this and push back when you are being asked to things that are clearly political in nature.  Especially with his experience with Global Affairs you would think that he would have advised against this course of action.  And maybe he did.

That's why this is so odd.

My suspicion as mentioned is that the PMO put a lot of pressure on him to do this and to make sure that he was the one to do the briefing to add whatever credence to this theory.
Optio

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #943 on: March 02, 2018, 10:28:00 »
George Wallace; I have a suspicion that the Civil Servant in question has very little actual experience in Security and Intelligence and has done the lateral transfers up the Public Service ladder to arrive in his position.

As opposed to someone like Dick Fadden.  Fadden, as many will remember, rankled the PM(O) with his insistence that foreign agencies (Chinese in particular) had worked their way into various levels of the Canadian Federal Government...cue Daniel Jean's entry into the picture as Canada's NSIA.

Regards
G2G

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #944 on: March 02, 2018, 16:09:12 »

His background is in immigration.

Ottawa, Ontario
May 5, 2016

Education

Master of Business Administration, State University of New York
Bachelor of Social Sciences, International Relations and Economics, University of Ottawa
Executive Program, Queen’s University

Professional Experience

Since November 2013
Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs

2010 - 2013
Deputy Minister of Canadian Heritage

Deputy Minister, Administrative Services Review, Privy Council Office

2008 - 2010
Deputy Secretary to the Cabinet (Operations), Privy Council Office

2007 - 2008
Associate Secretary of the Treasury Board

Assistant Secretary, International Affairs, Security and Justice Sector, Treasury Board Secretariat

2003 - 2007
Assistant Deputy Minister, Policy and Program Development, and then Assistant Deputy Minister, Operations, Citizenship and Immigration Canada

2000 - 2003
Director General, International Region, Citizenship and Immigration Canada

1995 - 2000
Counsellor (Immigration), Canadian Embassy in Washington, Citizenship and Immigration Canada

1992 - 1995
Director, Immigration Control, Citizenship and Immigration Canada

1988 - 1992
First Secretary (Immigration), Canadian Commission in Hong Kong, and then Counsellor and Consul, Canadian Embassy in Port-au-Prince (Haiti), Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada

1983 - 1988
Second Secretary (Immigration), Canadian Embassy in Port-au-Prince (Haiti), and then Vice-Consul (Immigration), Canadian Consulate General in Buffalo (United States), Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada.

Link
Years ago, fairy tales all began with, "Once upon a time." Now we know they all began with, "If I'm elected."

Carolyn Warner

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #945 on: March 02, 2018, 16:32:34 »
I think the Civil Servant in question was given a sword and told to fall on it- for the good of the emperor.

There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #946 on: March 02, 2018, 17:44:12 »
You people seem surprised that a unicorn loving PM, who thinks all international "wolves" circling Canada can be dealt with through being nice and using diplomacy to arrive at a peaceful resolution by compromise reached in good faith by all party ... and being nice, would appoint a career diplomat of the same type as his National Security Advisor instead of appointing someone from an actual security background that would speak the truth of the matter to him instead.

Why on earth would he want someone who knows what he/she is talking about and scare him with the fact that people out there are out to get us?

Just sayin'  :pop:

BTW, here's an interesting angle on that civil servant being fed to the dogs (journalists): Considering the amount of time between "spotting" Mr. Atwal and the actual trotting out of the NSIA, there are two possibilities here. First, the Intelligence services of Canada knew before the trip that some faction of the Indian government were out to make Trudeau look bad - in which case the PM security services should have looked more carefully at everything before anything took place; or, second possibility: they looked into it only after Mr. Atwal was spotted by the press - in which case, Canada just revealed that it has incredibly well placed sources within the Indian government because that was amazingly fast work to obtain such info and confirm it that quickly - and revealing that is definitely NOT in our national interest if its the case.

Offline YZT580

• Rate Post
« Reply #947 on: March 02, 2018, 18:11:33 »
One other option (Occam's razor) the PMO panicked and went looking for any remotely plausible lie to feed the public.

Online suffolkowner

• Rate Post
« Reply #948 on: March 03, 2018, 12:06:10 »
https://globalnews.ca/news/4058984/justin-trudeau-india-trip-ipsos-poll/

the bloom is coming off the Liberals even in Ontario although maybe Wynne is dragging him down as well

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #949 on: March 03, 2018, 12:11:06 »
From SDA: http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/

https://www.producer.com/2018/03/india-hikes-chickpea-duty-2/

India hikes chickpea duty again - 1 Mar 18

Extract:WINNIPEG (CNS) — The Indian government has raised the import tariff for chickpeas from 40 percent to 60 percent. This is the second time India has raised the tariff. Published in the Gazette of India on March 1, the government said the tariff is to be imposed immediately, due to circumstances that make it necessary to take immediate action.

The tariffs were placed in order to support Indian farmers who faced lower commodity prices following large world crops of pulses. The Indian government has previously said it wants to reach self-sufficiency for pulses, but many analysts have said that isn’t possible as India relies on variable monsoon rains for its growing season.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau visited from Feb. 18 to 24, where he reached an agreement with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on fumigation issues that Canadian pulses had faced upon on import into the country. The release announcing the agreement didn’t mention import tariffs. Last year Canada exported 10,000 tonnes of chickpeas to India, according to Statistics Canada.
No worries.

Industry group says most Canadian chickpeas exempt from India's tariff increase: http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/trudeau-says-indias-chickpea-tariff-hike-is-unrelated-to-his-botched-trip-and-he-might-be-right
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s recent trip to India may have caused a diplomatic row, but he insists it had nothing to do with India’s decision to hike tariffs on chickpeas this week — and he has good reason for saying so.

Canada’s industry group for chickpea growers says the type of chickpea Canada specializes in is in fact exempt from the most recent tariff increase.

“Ninety-five per cent of the chickpeas grown in Canada are kabuli variety,” said Madeleine Goodwin, head of communications for Pulse Canada. “Agriculture Canada has informed us that kabuli chickpeas are exempt from today’s tariff increase.”