Author Topic: M777 challenges  (Read 11998 times)

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: M777 challenges
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2017, 20:09:12 »
Quote from: FJAG
  and a handful of 81mm mortars which the infantry were too stupid/cheap to keep within their own battalions where they belong.

What level of the infantry were ultimately responsible for removing the 81mm mortar? [and TOW, and pioneers, and. 50cal hmg].
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2017, 00:27:30 »
The reserves have a real retention problem that makes this a difficult plan. You get a guy join right out of high school, does the part time thing for 4-5 years while he goes to college, but by the time he is fully trade qualified he is probably a year or two max from releasing. That problem needs to be fixed, and it's a problem right now as well that people aren't willing to take on the reserves as a part time job if it's only going to be 1 night a week and 1 weekend a month. That's not really worth it for most people that aren't university students (not to mention not everyone can take 2 months off a year for training courses). You'd have to really bump up the training time, which effectively eats into the "reserves are so much cheaper" argument.

Those are all problems looking for solutions which can be found if people are willing to look for them. Terms of service clearly could and ought to be changed. There is nothing within the NDA that provides for automatic releases (or even six month ones for the regulars) Those are all internal regulations and policies.

BUT - we've gone severely  :off topic: here so I think I'll stop now.

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline GR66

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2017, 00:28:53 »
The reserves have a real retention problem that makes this a difficult plan. You get a guy join right out of high school, does the part time thing for 4-5 years while he goes to college, but by the time he is fully trade qualified he is probably a year or two max from releasing. That problem needs to be fixed, and it's a problem right now as well that people aren't willing to take on the reserves as a part time job if it's only going to be 1 night a week and 1 weekend a month. That's not really worth it for most people that aren't university students (not to mention not everyone can take 2 months off a year for training courses). You'd have to really bump up the training time, which effectively eats into the "reserves are so much cheaper" argument.

I think that FJAG made it quite clear in his previous post that there are a bunch of other things that need to be addressed in order to make the Reserves an effective force.  The problem is a significant one and as he says "tweaking" around the edges is not a solution. 

I weep a little every time I read something like this. We (and by that I include our senior leadership) think in such small increments. 20 guns aren't even worth talking about. We'll lose our entire force within days if we ever decided to deploy it.

I've said this before many times. If we have budget issues (which we always have even though 19 billion isn't exactly chicken feed) then we need to restructure our forces seriously to take maximum advantage of cheaper reserve forces. Yes we need to make the reserves credible; yes, we need to reorganize them massively; yes we need to equip them fully if we expect them to be deployabe; yes we need full-time resources to maintain the equipment; yes we need to implement proper legislation and a culture that makes them immediately deployable; yes to all that.

Artillery is exactly one of those trades that would be suitable to be formed primarily from reserve units because it only deploys when real combat is present or imminent. For what we currently spend on the regular force artillery, we could equip and maintain a significantly larger number of properly equipped and manned reserve units.

Our problem is that our senior (and IMHO significantly negligent) leadership is that they refuse to think outside the box. They want to fine tune crap that's significantly broken rather than do the heavy lifting to fix what needs fixing badly.

:brickwall:

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2017, 12:56:15 »

Reserve recruitment has become a numbers game under the new system, retention issues can't be solved by the purchase of a piece of kit, it is up to leadership to develop training plans that keep troops engaged, learning, and appreciated for their work, That makes soldiers stay.
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2017, 14:10:51 »
Reserve recruitment has become a numbers game under the new system, retention issues can't be solved by the purchase of a piece of kit, it is up to leadership to develop training plans that keep troops engaged, learning, and appreciated for their work, That makes soldiers stay.

Very true but do not underestimate the hit on morale that a reservist gets by being handed cast-off unusable equipment or no equipment at all. You quickly understand your second class citizen status.

What reservists need is 1. a meaningful role that indicates the value that they will bring to the CF/country in a warfighting scenario; 2. all the equipment necessary to effectively carry out their role if mobilized; 3. the organization and training to make them competent and capable to carry out their role; 4. the legislative enablers to ensure that they are cared for if mobilized (from employment protection to care for the wounded and everything in between)

I'm sure that there are others but if you take away or minimize any of the above four, you are undermining the core structure of the system from the get-go.

Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline CanadianTire

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2017, 15:30:42 »
Very true but do not underestimate the hit on morale that a reservist gets by being handed cast-off unusable equipment or no equipment at all. You quickly understand your second class citizen status.

I've seen this first hand. We had one recruit do his sizing in September and it wasn't until his third weekend of course (first week of November) that he received his initial issue and even then the wrong sizes had been put in. It took two whole months to get him the right stuff, and even then he had no boots. Imagine being the only one on your course with no uniform...

Add on to that having to use weapons that are broken because we can't provide an immediate replacement as we don't have enough for the course without dipping into the rifle company's stores.
"Theirs not to reason why/Theirs but to do and die." - Tennyson