Author Topic: Bringing 'Em Back or Not? (I.D.'ed Cdn ISIS fighters, families, kids?)  (Read 35302 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Re: Bringing 'Em Back or Not? (I.D.'ed Cdn ISIS fighters, families, kids?)
« Reply #225 on: October 08, 2019, 20:29:08 »
I can't imagine Daesh exploiting a Turkish attack on Kurds as a distraction....   :pop:
Funny you should mention that ...
According to the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), at least three Daesh suicide bombers on Wednesday attacked its military positions in Syria's Raqqa ...
Meanwhile, in other news ...
Canada and other Western countries that have failed to repatriate citizens who fought for the Islamic State and now are detained in northern Syria, may soon face an even deeper conundrum about what to do about them, experts warned Monday.

The Trump administration has signalled it is prepared to stand aside in the event of a Turkish invasion of the region, which would be aimed at dislodging the Syrian Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG), a U.S. ally in the war against ISIS.

Stark criticism from Republicans in Congress forced U.S. President Donald Trump to temper earlier tweets by saying he would stop Turkey from going too far with an incursion, but the gyrations have created turmoil among policymakers and allies.

Since the fall of ISIS, the Syrian Democratic Forces, led by the YPG, have been holding approximately 11,000 ISIS detainees, including 2,000 foreign fighters, in more than two dozen camps.

There are as many as 32 Canadians (six men, nine women and 17 children)  in two camps in northeastern Syria, according to research by Amarnath Amarasingam, an assistant professor at Queen's University's school of religion, which was published in Policy Options magazine last summer.

In the face of a Turkish military offensive, they could soon be free ...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 20:34:23 by milnews.ca »
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #226 on: October 08, 2019, 20:54:38 »
We (the collective Western we) have an opportunity to exercise some choice in how it’s gonna suck.

But not choosing is a choice. And either way it’s gonna suck.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #227 on: October 08, 2019, 21:18:31 »
The Aussies ...
The Australian government has no immediate plan to rescue its citizens – including 20 women and more than 40 children – stranded in dangerous and squalid camps in northern Syria, arguing it will not risk more Australian lives trying to get them out.

(...)

The Australian defence minister, Linda Reynolds, said on Tuesday the Australian government was in “close contact” with its allies, including the US, after the shock announcement from Trump that America would be withdrawing its troops from the region as well as support for Kurdish allies, effectively green-lighting a Turkish invasion of northern Syria.

“It is too early yet to speculate on the consequences this might have for Australian policy in the region, as it is a very rapidly evolving new situation,” Reynolds said. “We will continue to monitor and act accordingly when we have more information to hand.” ...

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #228 on: October 09, 2019, 08:22:52 »
Funny you should mention that
  :not-again:  Such prescience wasn't a stretch....

[nor do I have any such skill with lottery numbers]

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #229 on: October 09, 2019, 11:18:39 »
This just in ...
The U.S. military has no plans to intervene if Syrian Kurdish forces abandon a constellation of Islamic State prisons in Syria to confront a possible Turkish invasion, officials said Tuesday.

Kurdish officials said that guards were still in place at the more than 20 prisons and camps under their control but were prepared to move, raising the possibility that about 11,000 militants and their families could escape.

U.S. officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity to describe the evolving U.S. strategy in Syria, said the Pentagon did not have enough forces to oversee the prisons if those facilities were left unguarded, nor a mandate to do so.

The Trump administration has said the responsibility for the militants detained by the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), the main U.S. partner against the Islamic State in Syria, would fall to the Turkish government if it goes ahead with the incursion ...
... with more on the overall TUR push into SYR in another dedicated thread here.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #230 on: October 09, 2019, 12:07:37 »
To quote a sign I've seen at 2 or 3 Base Clothing counters:

A lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on our part
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #231 on: October 09, 2019, 20:28:59 »
While the U.S. presses European countries to take their ISIS-ites back, there's this ...
The U.S. military is taking custody of several dozen high-value Islamic State detainees, including two British men accused of involvement in the militant group’s summary executions of American and other Western hostages. The action is designed to prevent their escape or release from camps in Syria, where they have been guarded by Kurdish forces now under threat from Turkey’s incursion, according to U.S. officials.

The move, a rare instance in which the United States has taken direct responsibility for Islamic State prisoners in Iraq and Syria, comes as U.S. officials scramble to ensure that Ankara’s unfolding military operation does not permit the Islamic State to regain strength.

The roughly 40 individuals being taken into U.S. custody, all considered important Islamic State figures, previously had been held in a constellation of small prisons in northeast Syria, run by Syrian Kurdish forces who have been the Pentagon’s primary partner against the Islamic State in Syria. The Kurds are now pulling guards from those facilities to confront the unfolding Turkish assault ...
More @ link or in attached, shared in accordance with the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #232 on: October 10, 2019, 08:12:32 »
….comes as U.S. officials scramble to ensure that Ankara’s unfolding military operation does not permit the Islamic State to regain strength.
Curious how they intend to "ensure" that... while in full Pontius Pilate hand-washing mode.   ::)

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #233 on: October 10, 2019, 10:58:45 »
Which I think is the CPC plan of action, if you show up on our border, we arrest you.
Also, just spotted this looking through for other election campaign info on page 39 of the Liberal platform
… To better coordinate efforts to prosecute terror suspects to the fullest extent of the law, we will move forward with the creation of a Director of Terrorism Prosecutions. This new office will make sure that Canadians who travel abroad to join terrorist organizations, or who participate in terrorist organizations here at home, are brought to justice ...
Last mention of I could find of this term goes way back to 2010, where it was one of the recommendations of the Air India final report.  It would report to the AG and work with the National Security Advisor & Co., but somewhat differently than the way the Director of Public Prosecutions works:  "A quasi arm’s-length agency like PPSC is, by design, independent from government and, as such, is unsuited to make determinations about the public interest where terrorism cases are involved."  More on the concept from the 2010 report attached.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 12:17:02 by milnews.ca »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #234 on: October 10, 2019, 13:04:32 »
Latest on who's taken how many ...
With the decision by the United States to withdraw from its positions in northern Syria, and Turkish forces moving in, the fate of thousands of suspected Islamic State detainees remains unclear.

The detainees and their families - held by Kurdish-led forces - include foreigners from various parts of the world.

The US has called on foreign states to repatriate their nationals, accusing European nations of refusing to do so.

So, how many foreign nationals are being held by Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) and have any countries taken them back?

The families of suspected IS militants are being held at a number of camps for displaced people in northern Syria.

By far the largest is at al-Hol. It is housing almost 70,000 people, more than 94% of them women and children, of whom 11,000 are foreign nationals.

Additionally, the SDF says some 12,000 suspected IS fighters are held in seven prisons in north-east Syria, of whom about 4,000 are estimated to be foreigners (that is, neither Syrian nor Iraqi).

A US government report published in August has a lower figure for foreign adult combatants held in northern Syria - 2,000, originating from 50 countries.

Of these, about 800 are from European nations while the rest are from the Middle East, north Africa or Asia.

To put that into context, a study last year by King's College's International Centre for the Study of Radicalisation estimated more than 41,000 foreign nationals had joined IS in Iraq and Syria between April 2013 and June 2018.

Has anyone taken back their nationals?
The United Nations has said countries should take responsibility for their own citizens unless they are to be prosecuted in Syria in accordance with international standards.

Many countries have been reluctant to do so, worried about public opinion and the legal challenges of dealing with citizens who joined IS.

Human Rights Watch has described government-facilitated repatriations of foreign nationals as "piecemeal."

It says more than 1,200 foreign nationals - mainly children - have been repatriated from both Syria and Iraq to Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Russia, Kosovo, and Turkey.

But other nations have taken back only very small numbers:

France: 18 children
US: 16 adults and children
Germany: fewer than 10
Australia: eight children
Sweden: seven children
Norway: five children

In some cases, foreign nationals have been transferred to Iraqi jurisdiction and tried in that country's courts. Earlier this year, four Frenchmen were sentenced to death in Iraq in a judicial process heavily criticised at the time.

Some foreign governments have revoked citizenship to prevent the return of suspected IS members - for example in the case of Shamima Begum, from the UK, who is being held at an SDF-run camp in Syria.

Far larger numbers of foreigners who joined IS are likely to have made their own way home before Kurdish-led forces captured the jihadists' last pocket of territory in March ...
More @ link

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #235 on: October 14, 2019, 14:17:50 »
Latest from Global in the midst of the fracas - highlight mine ...
Sitting in a dim room at a detention camp in northern Syria, Kimberly Polman was feeling vulnerable. ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi had vowed to free female prisoners like herself, and she believed him.

“I take it seriously,” Polman said. “These people don’t play.”

She should know: the former British Columbia resident spent almost four years living under the Islamic State, until she and her husband were taken into custody nine months ago.

Now she is a detainee of the Kurdish forces, one of thousands in their custody because their own governments haven’t taken them back.

But what awaits Polman became even more uncertain this week, when Turkey launched an invasion of northern Syria.

The Turkish offensive shattered the relative calm that Kurdish forces had won six months ago by defeating ISIS and capturing roughly 100,000 fighters and their families.

And with the Kurds now occupied at their northern border, the incursion has created an opening for ISIS, one the terror group has been quick to exploit.

(...)

“We have reached out to Syrian Kurdish officials to seek information on Canadians in their custody and have sought assurances from Turkey that any Canadians detained in the region would be handled in accordance with international law,” said Global Affairs Canada spokesperson Barbara Harvey.

A Muslim convert who travelled to Syria after befriending a man she met online, Polman stands out among the detainees arrested during the final throes of the so-called ISIS caliphate.

She is in her 40s and, unlike many women at the camps, does not wear a black niqab. In an interview, she was regretful and described a “deradicalization project” she was working on.

But Polman is typical in one sense: while the public debate over whether to repatriate Canadian ISIS suspects captured in Syria has focused mostly on the men, they are far outnumbered by women.

During two visits to the region, Global News found few Canadian men at prisons for ISIS detainees. Three identified themselves as Canadian citizens in interviews and another two were confirmed as Canadians. A sixth is detained in Turkey.

But at least 11 Canadian women are believed to be at Al-Hawl and Roj camps, along with almost two dozen children. Another two women are believed to be hiding in the region but have not yet been caught ...
More @ link

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #236 on: October 14, 2019, 15:14:51 »
A Muslim convert who travelled to Syria after befriending a man she met online, Polman stands out among the detainees arrested during the final throes of the so-called ISIS caliphate.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #237 on: October 14, 2019, 15:36:36 »
My personal, and I admit idiosyncratic and flawed position is:

1. I really wish we could do something about the children. But I don't really know what or how. I'm not even sure what is "best" for them ... except that I think that they cannot be allowed to be with their parents who are either irredeemably evil or stupid...  or both;

2. I want nothing, ever, to be done, that might in any way "help" the adults who decided to go to help Da'esh/ISIL/ISIS. While, morally, I oppose sending Canadian military "his squads" to kill them, I don't care if they die at the hands of anyone else;

3. I don't want any Canadians diplomates or aid workers being put at risk to "help" these evil of stupid (or both) adults; and

4. In the unlikely event that any of them make it home, I want them locked up for a loooooong time ... for being evil or stupid or both.
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #238 on: October 14, 2019, 16:05:00 »
Latest from Global in the midst of the fracas - highlight mine ...More @ link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimberly_Gwen_Polman

Ian Austen, one of The New York Times's Canadian correspondents wrote about Polman, after discussing her with Rukmini Callimachi, The New York Times's reporter who first found her, in the refugee camp in Syria.[11] He wrote that Callimachi speculated that she first identified herself as a Canadian to her American captors because she would be treated more leniently, as a Canadian, only to realize that Canadians were "in limbo". Callamachi speculated that Polman started to identify as an American when she realized that while Americans might face prosecution upon repatriation, at least they were being repatriated.

Canadian when convenient ?

Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #239 on: October 14, 2019, 19:36:25 »
Canadian when convenient ?
Sometimes the nature of dual citizenship. Thanks for a bit more of the REST of the story.

A bit more @ the original NY Times article here.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #240 on: October 17, 2019, 19:45:20 »
What the Brits might be doing ...
Britain will consider repatriating orphans and unaccompanied children in north-east Syria if they are alerted to their presence by local military or aid agencies.

Home Office officials said the UK would assist British orphans trapped in Syria after the Turkish invasion, reversing a previous policy that children had to be taken out of the country before they might get any help.

Officials would not say exactly how children might be extracted from the country, implying that SAS or other special forces, still understood to be based in the region, could be involved in the repatriations.

They said children thought to be British would be assessed on a case-by-case basis once removed from Syria and only orphans and unaccompanied children would be eligible to be brought back to the UK.

The shift in policy comes after a BBC reporting team found three English-speaking orphans aged 10 or under in a Syria camp over the weekend. The children are believed to have been taken by their parents to live under Islamic State five years ago ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #241 on: October 19, 2019, 14:37:46 »
Survey says ...
A clear majority of Canadians do not want the government to do anything to bring back ISIS fighters detained abroad.

In a poll conducted exclusively for Global News, Ipsos asked respondents whether they supported the position that “a Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian, and that Canada should do what it can to bring Canadian nationals home to Canada, even if they’ve been fighting for ISIS.”

Only 29 per cent agreed with the statement.

In contrast, 71 per cent said “we should not do anything to help bring these Canadians back to Canada.” ...
More @ link

From Ipsos (highlights mine) ...
... Bill C-24 is a law that aims to strip dual citizens of their Canadian passports if they are convicted of crimes of terrorism, treason or espionage against Canada, or take up arms against Canada. This has been specifically debated in the case of Canadian nationals who have fought with ISIS in Syria and wish to return to Canada.

A majority of Canadians appear to be supportive of the proposed law, with seven in ten (71%) saying ‘we should not do anything to help bring these Canadians back to Canada’. Canadians aged 55+ (83%) are most likely to hold this view, followed by those aged 35-54 (70%) and those 18-34 (56%).

By contrast, three in ten (29%) think that ‘a Canadian is a Canadian, and we should help bring these Canadians back.’ This view is significantly more prevalent among those aged 18-34 (44%), compared to those 35-54 (30%) or 55+ (17%). Regionally, Quebecers (39%) are more likely to hold this opinion than residents of any other province.  

These are some of the findings of an Ipsos poll conducted between October 11 and 13, on behalf of Global News. For this survey, a sample of n = 2,204 Canadians aged 18+ was interviewed. A sample of n = 1,504 was interviewed online, via the Ipsos I-Say panel and non-panel sources, and respondents earn a nominal incentive for their participation. A sample of n = 700 Canadians aged 18+ was interviewed by live-interview telephone interviewers by landline and cellphone, using random-digit dialing. Quotas and weighting were employed to balance demographics to ensure that the sample's composition reflects that of the adult population according to Census data and to provide results intended to approximate the sample universe (weighting efficiency = 66.9%). The precision of Ipsos polls which include non-probability sampling is measured using a credibility interval. In this case, the poll is accurate to within ± 2.4 percentage points, 19 times out of 20, had all Canadians been polled. The credibility interval will be wider among subsets of the population. All sample surveys and polls may be subject to other sources of error, including, but not limited to coverage error, and measurement error. Ipsos abides by the disclosure standards established by the CRIC, found here: https://canadianresearchinsightscouncil.ca/standards/
More @ link or in attached.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #242 on: October 20, 2019, 01:13:01 »

They'll come to kill us': Canadian trapped in Syria pleads to UN for help
LONDON -- “Dear United Nations...”

The letter was written by hand on paper that was torn from a notebook.It’s dated October 16, 2019, from a detention camp in Northern Syria. The writer is a Canadian, speaking for 10 women, all once married to ISIS fighters. The sky overhead is now crowded with fighter jets and drones.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/national/world/2019/10/18/1_4645332.html

The letter dated 16 October was torn from a book and sent to the UN. Except when you look at the pictures in the news article the letter is still in the book.

So someone took a picture of the letter, sent the letter to the UN then sent pictures of the letters while inside the tent to the media?
Seems a bit odd..

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #243 on: October 20, 2019, 07:23:05 »
So someone took a picture of the letter, sent the letter to the UN then sent pictures of the letters while inside the tent to the media? Seems a bit odd..
A U.N. or other NGO worker in the camp who moves back & forth between the camp & their base area/office/HQ could have lots of chances to hook up to the interwebs, no?  Or once it gets into the U.N. IM system, anybody could share it.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #244 on: October 20, 2019, 08:30:22 »
I don't know. I'm not suggesting it's fake, just something about it seems off. Don't you find it even a bit strange?

Saying the letter was written on paper torn from a book and sent to the UN. But it's clearly written while still in the book and photographed and shared online and the story done up and posted 2 days later.  Was it mailed from a post office in the camp? Or maybe the person taking the picture will be carrying the letter to the UN?

If there's a connection to the internet why not send an email instead of trusting a letter to find its way. Or making a video, which would be more personal than a letter. Or pictures of the women?

Edit- mods could I ask that my posts be moved to this thread? I thibk it might be more appropriate?

Bringing 'Em Back or Not? (I.D.'ed Cdn ISIS fighters, families, kids?)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 08:35:21 by Jarnhamar »

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #245 on: October 20, 2019, 09:30:38 »
Edit- mods could I ask that my posts be moved to this thread? I thibk it might be more appropriate?

Bringing 'Em Back or Not? (I.D.'ed Cdn ISIS fighters, families, kids?)
Good idea - done.
Saying the letter was written on paper torn from a book and sent to the UN. But it's clearly written while still in the book and photographed and shared online and the story done up and posted 2 days later.  Was it mailed from a post office in the camp? Or maybe the person taking the picture will be carrying the letter to the UN?

If there's a connection to the internet why not send an email instead of trusting a letter to find its way. Or making a video, which would be more personal than a letter. Or pictures of the women?
Seen.  Do we know the writer had access to the internet?  I suspect the camps themselves may be ... spartan.  With combinations of the internet and workers moving in and out of the camp, there could be a ton of different combinations to get an image of a letter out there.

So far, a very quick Google-fu shows the CTV story's the only place that has those specific images.  I'll keep hunting & share anything, so that _suggests_ they may have come from whatever intermediary straight to CTV.  We know when the story was published, but we don't know who else got images and/or the hard copy beforehand.

And if we really want to peel the onion layers, just because someone wrote 16 Oct on a piece of paper doesn't mean that's when it was written ;)

As for pictures or videos of the women, if the camps are still as ISIS-ridden as some say, I wouldn't want to be the one suggesting a selfie in them parts  ;D

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #246 on: October 21, 2019, 19:21:41 »
A couple of perspectives, this one from academics/analysts who've visited the camps ...
As we head into the Canadian federal election next week, one of the many pressing issues facing the new government will be the question of what to do with the nearly 40 Canadian men, women, and children currently in Kurdish custody in northeastern Syria.

We visited the camps and the prisons over the course of a week earlier this month, and the challenges we documented were immense and since the invasion by Turkey, those problems are only getting worse. On the day we visited al-Hol camp, which houses most of the Canadian women and their children, Kurdish forces supposedly interrupted a meeting of the “morality police” who were, apparently, getting set to punish one of their fellow women for some sort of religious violation.

The Kurdish police were able to stop the meeting, and arrest some of the women. Upset by these arrests, several women in the camp began, with babies and toddlers in their arms and at their feet, chanting and moving aggressively towards Kurdish police and SDF officers. Kurdish police started firing their weapons into the air to disperse the crowds. We were told it was safer if we left. What happened next is unclear, but the situation clearly escalated with several women killed and injured. It was a vivid illustration of the volatile situation in the camp, one housing over 50,000 children under the age of 12 from over 55 countries. The prisons, housing the male ISIS suspects, is little different.

What is perhaps most striking is the dichotomy between the realities on the ground and the nature of the policy debate in Canada. We have heard several arguments against repatriation during the many years we have been involved in this debate. We address some of the most widely held myths below:

Myth 1: They Made Their Choice. It is Not Our Problem.

(...)

Myth 2: If They Come Back Here, We Won’t Be Able to Charge Them, and They Will Go Free

(...)

Myth 3: Canada Doesn’t Have the Resources to Deal with Them

(...)

Myth 4: An International Court is the Answer

(...)

Myth 5: It is Too Dangerous for Canada to Send Officials

(...)
... and another broader news piece quoting several folks:
n the midst of an uncertain future in northeastern Syria where Turkish forces have been attacking Syrian Kurdish positions for more than a week, some experts say the situation should press Canada to act on repatriating its detained citizens in ISIS detention camps.

Turkey launched its offensive into Syria on Oct. 9 after U.S. President Donald Trump announced American troops would vacate the Turkish-Syrian border area.

Following the onset of the offensive, a Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) commander said that guarding the camps that hold thousands of detained ISIS members as well as some who lived in regions under the control of ISIS would not be a “priority.” In northeastern Syria, the SDF includes the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) and Women’s Protection Units (YPJ). Turkey views the SDF as being connected to the separatist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), which is listed as a terrorist entity by the Canadian government.

A five-day ceasefire was negotiated between Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and U.S. Vice-President Mike Pence on Oct. 17. But before the ceasefire was 24 hours old, Kurds accused Turkey of violating the truce. Turkey denied fighting was taking place.

Under the ceasefire agreement, Turkey and the United States would jointly coordinate the ISIS detention camps and the internally displaced people in regions formerly under the control of ISIS.

NBC News reported last week before the ceasefire was reached that SDF guards at one camp that holds 5,000, threatened to leave the camp to go to the front-lines.

“Ironically, the Government of Canada was saying for the last 18 months that it was too dangerous for them to send consular officials into Syria—even as journalists, law enforcement officials from other countries, and researchers were in and out of the country,” said Amarnath Amarasingam, a professor at Queen’s University who is an expert on foreign fighters, in an email to The Hill Times.

“Now, it has kind of become a self-fulfilling prophecy,” he said. Prof. Amarasingam visited a SDF-controlled ISIS detention camp before the Turkish offensive began ...
More @ links

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #247 on: November 14, 2019, 10:09:06 »
Interesting approach by Russia ...
Russia has taken DNA samples from 49 orphans in Syria to confirm their relations to Russian citizens and clear their return home, Russia’s top children’s rights official said Thursday.

Under a program spearheaded by Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov, Russia has worked on returning women and children linked to Russians who fought for the Islamic State in Syria and Iraq. Kadyrov last year called for mass DNA tests in his majority-Muslim region to help repatriate Russian children from the war-torn countries.

Russia was granted access to 49 orphans held in Syrian jails and camps for DNA testing, Interfax cited presidential children’s rights ombudsperson Anna Kuznetsova as saying. Some children are said to be younger than 6 months.

Kuznetsova said that Russian citizens identified as the children’s relatives have also submitted DNA samples to establish family kinship.

An Emergency Situations Ministry flight from neighboring Iraq with 32 Russian children on board is expected soon, Kuznetsova said. The remaining children, she added, will return from Iraq by civilian aircraft.

Meanwhile, the chief of Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) has warned that adult Islamic State fighters should undergo close vetting by the countries where they’re being held as well as by Russia before being cleared for repatriation ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Islamic Terrorism in the West ( Mega thread)
« Reply #248 on: November 18, 2019, 18:41:22 »
A month before a Canadian convicted of trying to join ISIS was released from an Ontario prison in June, he was denied parole on the grounds he posed too great a risk, newly released records show.

Prosecutors wanted him to serve six yearsbut on Feb. 28, a judge sentenced him to four years and one month, saying he had taken responsibility for his actions and had been “a positive role model.”

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/toronto-man-who-tried-to-join-isis-was-freed-month-after-his-release-was-declared-an-undue-risk/ar-BBWWoh9

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Re: Islamic Terrorism in the West ( Mega thread)
« Reply #249 on: November 19, 2019, 11:47:48 »
A month before a Canadian convicted of trying to join ISIS was released from an Ontario prison in June, he was denied parole on the grounds he posed too great a risk, newly released records show.

Prosecutors wanted him to serve six yearsbut on Feb. 28, a judge sentenced him to four years and one month, saying he had taken responsibility for his actions and had been “a positive role model.”

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/toronto-man-who-tried-to-join-isis-was-freed-month-after-his-release-was-declared-an-undue-risk/ar-BBWWoh9
More backstory on this guy here and here.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter