Author Topic: Bringing 'Em Back or Not? (I.D.'ed Cdn ISIS fighters, families, kids?)  (Read 31853 times)

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Bringing 'Em Back? (I.D.'ed Cdn ISIS fighters, families, kids?)
« Reply #200 on: September 04, 2019, 13:06:05 »
Sounds like hell on earth for the living  :( 
Living the lean life

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #201 on: September 04, 2019, 16:05:55 »
Sounds like hell on earth for the living  :(
Some'll say "play with the bull, expect some horn," while others'll say, "good place to create more of these guys, especially if they can buy their way out to do bad crap elsewhere."  #FarFromEasySolutions
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Czech_pivo

• Rate Post
« Reply #202 on: September 05, 2019, 09:57:44 »
Some'll say "play with the bull, expect some horn," while others'll say, "good place to create more of these guys, especially if they can buy their way out to do bad crap elsewhere."  #FarFromEasySolutions

If we could only ask the dead that were killed by these people, or their husbands/sons/brothers/fathers, if they'd be willing to trade places with them....

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #203 on: September 20, 2019, 20:21:27 »
This from the U.S. ...
U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday renewed threats to dump captured Islamic State fighters on Europe's doorstep if countries there continue to refuse to take back all their foreign fighters.

Trump said he was continuing with plans to draw down forces in Syria, saying the U.S. had done the world a big favor by eliminating the terror group's self-declared caliphate and that it was time for other countries to step up.

"We're asking them to take back these prisoners of war," Trump told reporters during a meeting with Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison in the Oval Office at the White House.

"They've refused," he added. "And at some point I'm going to have to say, 'I'm sorry, but you're either taking them back or we're going to let them go at your border.' " ...

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #204 on: September 20, 2019, 20:39:09 »
This from the U.S. ...

As usual one has simplistic ideas coming from this man. Firstly they aren't Prisoners of War since they were never lawful combatants of a specific nation that is a party to the hostilities. Lawful combatants are entitled to return to the country that essentially recruited and controlled them during the hostilities. That doesn't exist here.

These are, at best, vagabond mercenaries that did not fight for a country but for an ideology and as such are criminals within the country where their crimes took place. Quite frankly Syria or Iraq are the countries with the greatest interest and legal status to try and punish these folks. That's a different problem, however. To try to foist this off on European nations just because these morons were born there or lived there for a while is irrational.

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #205 on: September 20, 2019, 20:42:23 »
... To try to foist this off on European nations just because these morons were born there or lived there for a while is irrational.
Not just on European nations, let's not forget ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #206 on: September 24, 2019, 19:31:28 »
We'll see ...
Key Takeaway: The Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS) is preparing to free its loyal fighters and followers from prisons and displacement camps across Syria and Iraq. ISIS Emir Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi signaled the start of this campaign in a speech released on September 16, 2019, in which he called on his fighters to liberate prisoners and save women in displacement camps. The Al-Hawl Camp in Northern Syria represents a particular risk. ISIS is already active in Al-Hawl Camp. It has been fundraising in the camp via encrypted channels (such as Telegram) since at least June 2019. It is likely organizing similar activity in other displacement camps in Iraq and Syria.
More @ link

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #207 on: September 28, 2019, 14:57:22 »
Fine - enjoy your current accomodations, then ....
Before he was captured by Syrian Kurdish forces in February, Canadian Mohammed Khalifa went from being a cog in the ranks of ISIS to its English language voice.     

Khalifa, 35, who goes by his ISIS nom de guerre Abu Ridwan, says he would like to return to Canada provided he can bring his non-Canadian wife and their three children.

"This area is no doubt a dangerous area. I'd want to take my family out of there," Abu Ridwan told The Fifth Estate in an interview from a prison in northern Syria.

But if his return means he will likely face justice in a Canadian court, Abu Ridwan said he would rather remain locked up where he is.

"In terms of going back to be judged, then no." ...
Some of his previous material attached (source).

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #208 on: September 28, 2019, 20:53:20 »
Khalifa, 35, who goes by his ISIS nom de guerre Abu Ridwan, says he would like to return to Canada provided he can bring his non-Canadian wife and their three children.

"This area is no doubt a dangerous area. I'd want to take my family out of there," Abu Ridwan told The Fifth Estate in an interview from a prison in northern Syria.

But if his return means he will likely face justice in a Canadian court, Abu Ridwan said he would rather remain locked up where he is.

"In terms of going back to be judged, then no." ...

Why not ask for a few million dollars to help reintegrate into Canadian life while he's at it lol

+300
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #209 on: October 01, 2019, 19:20:44 »
Australia's take ...
The Morrison government is in no rush to repatriate 66 Australian women and children trapped in the al-Hawl camp in Syria.

The security situation in the camp has dramatically deteriorated in the past 48 hours, with Islamic State supporters opening fire at guards.

The foreign minister says the Australians, most of them under five, are in a complex situation.

"The repatriation of any people in Syria in those contexts at the moment is very, very difficult," Marise Payne told ABC radio on Wednesday.

"It's complicated by the fact the area is highly dangerous and unstable."

Senator Payne said the Australian government would weigh each case individually.

"As far as individuals are concerned and in some cases families, we are assessing each of those cases on their merits, but our first duty is of course to protect Australia and Australians," she said.

"We are talking about people who may have been involved in supporting terrorism, may have fought with terrorists in Syria and Iraq, and that does pose a threat to the safety of Australia and Australians

"I think the Australian population would expect us to make our assessments of each case on its own merits."

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #210 on: October 01, 2019, 20:16:05 »
The Morrison government is in no rush to repatriate 66 Australian women and children trapped in the al-Hawl camp in Syria.

The security situation in the camp has dramatically deteriorated in the past 48 hours, with Islamic State supporters opening fire at guards .

ISIS probably just wants their wives and kids back.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #211 on: October 04, 2019, 10:01:18 »
Meanwhile, from U.S. Central Command (source) ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #212 on: October 04, 2019, 10:04:46 »
Given the overlap, merged the "Cdn ISIS fighters ID'ed" and "Bringing families back" threads.

Milnet.ca Staff

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Re: Bringing 'Em Back or Not? (I.D.'ed Cdn ISIS fighters, families, kids?)
« Reply #213 on: October 04, 2019, 11:20:33 »
Find a deserted Island that can sustain life, dump them there, float supplies in once a year and they can have their little caliphate.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #214 on: October 04, 2019, 11:35:32 »
Meanwhile, back in one of the Kurdish-run camps that is in place
America’s Syrian Kurdish allies are at risk of losing control of the vast camp where the families of the Islamic State’s defeated fighters are being detained as militant women increasingly assert their dominance over the camp, according to the top Kurdish military commander.

Guards at the al-Hol camp in eastern Syria are failing to contain the increasingly violent behavior of some of the residents, and the flimsy perimeter is at risk of being breached unless the international community steps in with more assistance, said the head of the Syrian Democratic Forces, Gen. Mazloum Kobane, who uses a nom de guerre and is known simply as Mazloum.

“There is a serious risk in al-Hol. Right now, our people are able to guard it. But because we lack resources, Daesh are regrouping and reorganizing in the camp,” he said, using the Arab acronym for the Islamic State. “We can’t control them 100 percent, and the situation is grave.”

The al-Hol internment camp in eastern Syria houses around 70,000 people, most of them women and children who were displaced by the war against the Islamic State. A majority of those are ordinary civilians caught up in the fighting who have no relationship to the militants, and over half are children.

But as many as 30,000 are Islamic State loyalists, including the most die-hard radicals who chose to remain in the dwindling caliphate until the final battle for the village of Baghouz earlier this year, Mazloum said in a telephone interview from his headquarters in the Syrian province of Hasakah.

Around 10,000 of those are foreigners from over 40 countries who made the journey to join the Islamic State in Syria, and they are among the most fiercely committed extremists, according to camp officials ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #215 on: October 04, 2019, 12:24:02 »
Find a deserted Island that can sustain life, dump them there, float supplies in once a year and they can have their little caliphate.

Isn't that how they created Australia?

Plenty of islands in the Arctic. 
Optio

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #216 on: October 04, 2019, 12:26:23 »
I was thinking more Pitcairn Island

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #217 on: October 04, 2019, 12:44:06 »
I was thinking more Pitcairn Island

The weather is too nice.  In the Arctic you lose the will to fight due to having to spend your time surviving.
Optio

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #218 on: October 04, 2019, 12:53:07 »
They were able to make their way there without our assistance, they can make their own way back. Whatever happens, happens. They should have done better risk analysis.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #219 on: October 04, 2019, 15:42:58 »
Which I think is the CPC plan of action, if you show up on our border, we arrest you.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #220 on: October 04, 2019, 16:12:24 »
Which I think is the CPC plan of action, if you show up on our border, we arrest you.
I've seen the "we won't lift a finger" quote about Jihadi Jack, but I haven't read that level of detail in the CPC's news releases or media coverage.  Last summer, there was this:
The Honourable Michelle Rempel, Shadow Minister for Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, and Pierre Paul-Hus, Shadow Minister for Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, issued a statement calling on Justin Trudeau to bring justice to the victims of ISIS and refer the cases of Canadian ISIS terrorists to the International Criminal Court: “Justin Trudeau’s government has proven itself either unwilling or unable to prosecute Canadian ISIS terrorists. Recently, one Canadian has gone as far as to admit to carrying out executions on behalf of ISIS to the New York Times. He is currently walking the streets of Canada as a free man. “To date, the Liberals have placed more emphasis on providing support like poetry training for Canadian returned ISIS terrorists than swiftly working to bring them to justice. In fact, many measures introduced by the Liberals through bills C-59 and C-75 will potentially weaken punishments for these murders. “The International Criminal Court has the power to prosecute citizens of parties to the Rome Statute. Canada is a party to this statute, and Justin Trudeau should be doing everything in his power to bring justice to the victims of ISIS. Conservatives call on the Prime Minister to refer any known Canadian ISIS terrorists to the International Criminal Court where they can finally be prosecuted for their abhorrent crimes ...
… as well as this at the end of last year:
… Conservatives continue to call on Justin Trudeau to implement the following measures:
•Stop Bill C-59, which makes it harder to bring terrorists to justice.
•Focus resources on arresting returning ISIS terrorists instead of misguided attempts at reintegration programs, like poetry lessons.
•Use existing tools to restrict the movement of known terrorists, such as peace bonds.
•Ensure surveillance of returning ISIS terrorists.
•Reform international bodies which are failing to bring ISIS terrorists to justice ...
… but I haven't read any "we will …" statements - as usual, I stand to be corrected.  The "arrest 'em as they arrive" would be how I'd bet a Team Blue government would deal with it, and it would make for very interesting court proceedings based on how complicated it might be.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #221 on: October 07, 2019, 07:32:46 »
Interesting angle to the "One NATO member steps aside while another NATO member vows to take on forces (including some Canadians) fighting ISIS" story - this from Brit media:
... (Turkish President) Erdogan later vowed he would work with European governments to deal with any foreign ISIS prisoners in the region.

"There are (ISIS prisoners) from France, Germany, other countries. They say 'We don't want to have control over them,'" Mr Erdogan said.

"We can't look after them. What can be done about this? They are going to work on that and I instructed our colleagues to work on that too".

Kurdish leaders have long asked the west for help saying their overstretched army can't repel a Turkish invasion and guard the more than 15,000 captured prisoners the same time ...
Meanwhile, lookit who Brit media says shows up in some recent video from the area ...
The parents of 'Jihadi Jack' have spotted him in footage of a Syrian jail and begged for him to be sent back to the UK.

Jack Letts was pictured just days ago lying of the floor of an overcrowded jail in the north of the country.

In the footage he is alongside dozens of fellow Islamic State (IS) prisoners, also in orange jumpsuits, who have been captured by Kurdish militia.

The 23-year-old Muslim convert from Oxfordshire fled to the Middle East to join ISIS and has been stripped of his UK citizenship.

His mother, Sally Lane, spoke to the Mail on Sunday and pleaded for him to be allowed to return and face trial in this country ...
:pop:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 07:36:13 by milnews.ca »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #222 on: October 07, 2019, 21:55:06 »
Think tank's take on ISIS/Daesh's push to get fighters outta Syrian camps ...
Key Takeaway: ISIS has mounted low-level efforts to replenish its ranks from members held in detention facilities and displacement camps across Syria and Iraq since late 2018. Some ISIS members have paid bribes to guards in order to buy their freedom. Others have rioted or mounted small-scale escapes attempts from at least four detention facilities in Syria and Iraq since September 2018. ISIS is likely preparing more coordinated and sophisticated operations to free its detained members in Iraq and Syria. The largest risk likely faces the network of makeshift and undermanned detention facilities spread across Northern Syria ...
More @ link

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #223 on: October 08, 2019, 07:11:51 »
….The largest risk likely faces the network of makeshift and undermanned detention facilities spread across Northern Syria ...
I can't imagine Daesh exploiting a Turkish attack on Kurds as a distraction....   :pop:

I'm a fan of the article's source, Institute for the Study of War;  it's a regular part of my morning coffee, 'overnight traffic' reading (although I haven't gotten there yet since I'm been busy watching Canada getting crushed by RSA  :'(

Rumour has it that the Confrence of Defence Associations Institute is attempting to get the ISW Director, Kim Kagan, and her husband Fred up to speak at their spring Defence & Security Conference.
Don't vote?  Don't complain.   www.elections.ca

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #224 on: October 08, 2019, 07:19:05 »
I'm a fan of the article's source, Institute for the Study of War;  it's a regular part of my morning coffee, 'overnight traffic' reading (although I haven't gotten there yet since I'm been busy watching Canada getting crushed by RSA  :'(
I like their material because it's a bit more accessible than some other think-tanky-academic out there.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter