Author Topic: U.S. Basic Training compared to CAF  (Read 6564 times)

Offline bigkruzzy

• Rate Post
Is Canadian Basic Training as intense as the Americans?
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2018, 15:14:56 »
I have seen videos of the U.S basic training online and it seems very intense. A lot of screaming in your face. Do the Canadians do the same thing?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Is Canadian Basic Training as intense as the Americans?
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2018, 16:59:16 »
I have seen videos of the U.S basic training online and it seems very intense. A lot of screaming in your face. Do the Canadians do the same thing?

For reference to the discussion,

( US ) Basic Training/Boot Camp
https://www.military.com/topics/basic-training-boot-camp
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:24:28 by mariomike »

Offline LogOLife

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2018, 18:36:29 »
Short answer: no

Long(er) answer: Not nearly as intense as some videos you've watched, though everybody's experience will be different and a lot of it will depend on your instructors.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2018, 19:41:41 »

It depends on the level of stupidity the candidate demonstrates?   ;D
Do I love my job?  No.

But does it afford me the ability to go on lavish vacations and buy anything I want?  Also no.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2018, 19:45:47 »
It depends on the level of stupidity the candidate demonstrates?   ;D

So, how hard was yours?   :whistle:
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2018, 20:04:55 »
Well, I had a 'buddy' during the FTX that came with me everywhere for the week in Granville.  Buddy was a 40lb sandbag.
Do I love my job?  No.

But does it afford me the ability to go on lavish vacations and buy anything I want?  Also no.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2018, 00:46:59 »
Well, I had a 'buddy' during the FTX that came with me everywhere for the week in Granville.  Buddy was a 40lb sandbag.

I'm just chiming in to say that is .... is..... awesome :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2018, 00:52:01 »
Oh, it was awesome.  Our Trg Sgt was an Airborne Medic who loved to run.  Everywhere.   ;D

To add something back to the OP, though...yelling in your face isn't necessarily going to make thinks intense.  Minimal timings to complete things, strict imposed discipline, high standard to be met for things like kit, quarters, physical fitness, weapons handling, etc all combined appropriately make Basic intense if done properly.  Don't expect to see the first 20 minutes of Full Metal Jacket unfold at CFLRS or a Reserve BMQ course, though...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 00:55:09 by Eye In The Sky »
Do I love my job?  No.

Offline RomeoJuliet

• Donor
  • Rate Post
Re: U.S. Basic Training compared to CAF
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2018, 08:51:25 »
Oh, it was awesome.  Our Trg Sgt was an Airborne Medic who loved to run.  Everywhere.   ;D

To add something back to the OP, though...yelling in your face isn't necessarily going to make thinks intense.  Minimal timings to complete things, strict imposed discipline, high standard to be met for things like kit, quarters, physical fitness, weapons handling, etc all combined appropriately make Basic intense if done properly.  Don't expect to see the first 20 minutes of Full Metal Jacket unfold at CFLRS or a Reserve BMQ course, though...
Agreed. Although Cornwallis in the 80's sure felt like Full Metal Jacket in some ways.  But hey, my father went through basic in the 50's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk