Author Topic: The "So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread  (Read 792106 times)

Offline CF_TOR

• Rate Post
Re: The "So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread
« Reply #1400 on: November 12, 2018, 22:41:37 »
Gentlemen, learned quite a bit from this Forum, awesome source of information.

I am a 45 year old candidate, just applied for Pilot (DEO), and would like to clarify a few issues with you, hope you can help.

Have you ever heard of older candidates pursuing a Pilot career? Is it too late? Around 20 years ago I received my Commercial IFR Multi-Engine licenses but never pursued a civilian career, my licenses are expired but I will bring a strong basic knowledge to start.

Last Friday I stopped by the Toronto recruiting center in North York and the recruiter informed me that it might take up to 5 years for a candidate to receive his/her wings from the start of application, is that correct??

My understanding, from this Forum and CAF's website, is that the total training would add up to approximately 21 months. Basic Training (15 weeks) plus the complete pilot training (around 17 months). Is it taking over two years to go through the whole application process?

My main option is to pursue a multi-engine (fixed wing) path, so how seriously do they take our first option? If I could pick only one option would be that (that's where my passion is), not too excited with rotary wing and I guess I am too old for jets anyway.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #1401 on: November 12, 2018, 22:48:26 »
Have you ever heard of older candidates pursuing a Pilot career? Is it too late?

Some of the threads in this search discuss,  "Am I too old to become a pilot?"
https://www.google.com/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&ei=pU3qW4SnFamL5wLQ7K2IDQ&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22too+old%22+pilot&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22too+old%22+pilot&gs_l=psy-ab.3...23590.30561..32058...0.0..0.92.555.7......0....1..gws-wiz.twj78YsWcVo

My main option is to pursue a multi-engine (fixed wing) path, so how seriously do they take our first option?

"Can you choose what kind of aircraft you'd like to be trained in/fly full time?"
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=12744.990;wap2

"so you can choose which airplane you want?"

Uncertain about going either multi or helo 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=69059.0

How is a Pilots aircraft chosen?
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=120167.0

Do you have a choice between fighter/helo/multi ??? 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=73253.0
2 pages.

Uncertain about going either multi or helo 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,69059.0/nowap.html
2 pages.

How is a Pilots aircraft chosen?
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=120167.0

etc...

There is also zero guarantee that you will get to fly the airframe of your choice (ie. Griffon, CF-18, Hercules).  It‘s all a matter of timing and your overall skill level.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 23:27:27 by mariomike »

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #1402 on: November 13, 2018, 01:20:57 »
I can’t believe the time that has passed since I wrote that post...
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline CF_TOR

• Rate Post
« Reply #1403 on: November 13, 2018, 10:32:59 »
Great, thank you.

To be honest the age issue is what concerns me the most... the dream to become a RCAF pilot is bigger than anything else.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #1404 on: November 13, 2018, 10:42:24 »
Great, thank you.

You are welcome. Good luck. :)

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of official, up to date information.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 14:39:27 by mariomike »

Offline Tennisball

• Rate Post
« Reply #1405 on: December 09, 2018, 00:13:59 »
My interviewer told me that I scored a bit above average on the CFAT and that will help me out on my application.

I emailed him to ask for details about my CFAT scores and he could only say that my application is "competitive" but couldn't tell me how good a chance I had against other applicants.

I did very well on ACS but he told me that ACS scores are only pass/fail and don't add to your competition list scoring.

Do I have a chance?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 12:31:23 by Tennisball »

Offline Spc_Cdt

• Rate Post
« Reply #1406 on: December 11, 2018, 17:55:44 »

Last Friday I stopped by the Toronto recruiting center in North York and the recruiter informed me that it might take up to 5 years for a candidate to receive his/her wings from the start of application, is that correct??

Not a recruiter but I recently came back from aircrew selection, where the pilot giving the Realistic Job Preview presentation said "there's one very important thing that recruiters fail to mention: it can take 3-4 years to get your wings AND THEN you add the 7 years of mandatory service". So it's at least a 10 year commitment. By no means should that discourage anyone from applying, but it's just a reality check that they wanted to give us... cuz they don't want people quitting halfway. If you really want to be a pilot, then this doesn't matter. But for me, as an older applicant (36) that was humming and hawing between pilot and ACSO, it solidified my resolve for pursuing the latter.
CFRC: Ottawa
Regular/Reserves: Reg
Officer/NCM: DEO
Trade 1: PLT
Trade 2: ACSO
Trade 3: ---
Applied: Oct 13 2016
CFAT: years ago
TSD: Feb 16 2017
CFAST #1: Apr 12 2017 (pass AEC)
Medical: Feb 01 2018
Interview: Feb 13 2018
CFAST #2: Oct 25 2018 (pass ACSO)
Merit Listed: Jun 03 2019
Position Offered: ---
Sworn In: ---
BMOQ: ---

Offline CF_TOR

• Rate Post
« Reply #1407 on: December 12, 2018, 15:52:05 »
"there's one very important thing that recruiters fail to mention: it can take 3-4 years to get your wings AND THEN you add the 7 years of mandatory service". So it's at least a 10 year commitment.

Personally I have no problem with the 7-yr commitment, as long as I am flying and enjoying it.

My issue is the "3-yr" process until you get your wings.

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1408 on: December 12, 2018, 21:22:15 »
Two of those three years will be spent training.  Only 1 year of wait being paid 40k+ a year.  Not too bad.

Offline CF_TOR

• Rate Post
« Reply #1409 on: December 13, 2018, 12:35:08 »
Two of those three years will be spent training.  Only 1 year of wait being paid 40k+ a year.  Not too bad.

Then, that's not that bad at all !!!!!!!

Offline Spc_Cdt

• Rate Post
« Reply #1410 on: December 14, 2018, 11:16:31 »
My interviewer told me that I scored a bit above average on the CFAT and that will help me out on my application.

I emailed him to ask for details about my CFAT scores and he could only say that my application is "competitive" but couldn't tell me how good a chance I had against other applicants.

I did very well on ACS but he told me that ACS scores are only pass/fail and don't add to your competition list scoring.

Do I have a chance?

Dude, if you passed ACS then you have a chance cuz they're so desperately in need of pilots (and ACS is "the easiest part of getting your wings", as they say). Once you get on the competition list then you're pretty much golden... it's just a waiting game (and it's killing me lol).

They can't really tell you how competitive you are against other applicants because it's a relative scale. As the recruiter told me: "you can be #4 on the list and then someone gets hired, so you're at #3 -- but then someone gets on the list who's more competitive and you end up back at #4, and so forth and so on until you get an offer"

ACS was the big hurdle and you passed it. Congrats!

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1411 on: December 14, 2018, 12:21:20 »
Dude, if you passed ACS then you have a chance cuz they're so desperately in need of pilots (and ACS is "the easiest part of getting your wings", as they say). Once you get on the competition list then you're pretty much golden... it's just a waiting game (and it's killing me lol).

They can't really tell you how competitive you are against other applicants because it's a relative scale. As the recruiter told me: "you can be #4 on the list and then someone gets hired, so you're at #3 -- but then someone gets on the list who's more competitive and you end up back at #4, and so forth and so on until you get an offer"

ACS was the big hurdle and you passed it. Congrats!

We are not short of new pilots, we arw short of experienced pilot.  Recruiting more will not help the experiencd piece.

Offline Dailyrcaf123

• Rate Post
« Reply #1412 on: December 14, 2018, 12:38:23 »

There is absolutely no guarantee that you get an offer just because you made it on the competition list. Many people pass ACS, and not many spots are available for pilot. When I got on the comp list, the recruiter told me that I was competitive and should be getting an offer. That was one year ago... and still no offer.
Recruiting Center: Moncton, NB     
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: Officer
Trade choice 1: Pilot
Application date: August, 2016
First contact: October, 2016
CFAT: October, 2016
ACS : September 2017
Interview and Medical : October 2017
ACS Medical : February, 2018
Competition list: March, 2018
Position offered: TBD
Enrolment: TBD
BMOQ: TBD

Offline Spc_Cdt

• Rate Post
« Reply #1413 on: December 14, 2018, 14:39:46 »
There is absolutely no guarantee that you get an offer just because you made it on the competition list.

I'm just going with what the recruiter told me. He said if I made the list then I can expect an offer. It might take years, and they'll ask if I want to stay on the list, but one will come -- as long as the position is open.

Offline CF_TOR

• Rate Post
« Reply #1414 on: January 11, 2019, 14:50:31 »
Hi everyone... What exactly is a Target Interview (TI) and the difference from a regular interview?

THANK YOU !!!

Offline Chris4e

• Rate Post
« Reply #1415 on: January 17, 2019, 11:10:49 »
Anyone going to Trenton on the 21st?

Offline rcafthrowaway2017

• Rate Post
« Reply #1416 on: February 02, 2019, 11:25:40 »
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could speak on quality of life differences between the Pilot and ACSO occupations. Would you say the two experience similar working conditions throughout their respective careers, or are there some tangible differences?

Thank you

Offline Swaggarius

• Rate Post
« Reply #1417 on: February 03, 2019, 18:25:53 »
Hello everyone, I have a couple of questions regarding the pilot occupation.
I'm graduating in a couple of months from McGill University with a Bachelors of Science.
I was looking to apply to be a pilot at the CAF and was wondering how hard it is to get in (there is a shortage I heard) and
how long is the process. I have been in the Infantry Reserves before for 2 years so I have already completed my BMQ and I don't think I have to redo it.

Offline kratz

Summer is here...and more rain.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1418 on: February 03, 2019, 18:37:31 »
FY 2019 / 2020 has 79 positions open for DEO.
As with all CAF trades, shortages do not necessarily mean positions can and will be filled.
Due to your reserve time, your old records will be pulled from archives by CFRG and a VFS
(verification of former service) will automatically be part of your application.
If you haven't completed PLQ before releasing from the reserve, you will complete part of BMOQ.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Swaggarius

• Rate Post
« Reply #1419 on: February 03, 2019, 18:40:40 »
Can I begin my application before finishing university or do I have to wait till I get my diploma? I'm graduating in Fall 2019.

Offline kratz

Summer is here...and more rain.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1420 on: February 03, 2019, 20:06:10 »
You can apply anytime.

The length of time for the application process varies. Keep your CFRC aware of your graduation date and any changes in your situation.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline John Smith

• Rate Post
« Reply #1421 on: February 07, 2019, 20:19:59 »
This thread has benefited me greatly. I have been lurking on here for years. I want to return the favour by transcribing my experience of my Pilot application thus far to the best of my memory's ability.

I graduated from uWaterloo with a Bachelor of Mathematics, took that $50k piece of paper straight to the CFRC and said "put my name in the hat."

6 months later, I got booked for my CFAT. Barely slept that night. The day of, my eyes were black bags. Anyway, passed for all trades. It was considerably harder than what I was expecting it to be. Gut check. Oh well. Let's go with it.

6 months later, I got booked for Aircrew Selection at CFB Trenton. I'm from the Greater Toronto Area. I drove there. Full heartedly ugly cried in the car from happiness on the 401 E, before I even got there. I was just grateful for even being given the chance to pursue my dream. It was becoming realer and realer. Cool.

Sunday:
Arrived Sunday at xx:yy. The accommodation is called Yukon Lodge (65 Yukon St). You can Google it. It's basically a perfectly clean hotel. No wi-fi. There is an Ethernet drop in all rooms. Bring your own Ethernet cable. I tested the speed: 5 Mb/s down and Spotify is blocked... :( You get three (3) meals per day at the Galley next door. I never went. I just went to McD's and Tim's and Canex to buy food. By the way, the base is fully navigable by Google Maps. It's like a university campus. You can drive into it and nobody will care as long as you don't look out of place. Yukon lodge front desk told me to show up at CFASC at xx:yy. Okay. Couldn't sleep. Got maybe 4.5 hours of broken sleep.

Monday:
Black bags under my eyes. Bad sleep. xx:yy, we all (14 to 16-ish of us, I didn't count) show up and sit in the lounge as can be seen in the pictures of CFASC on the CF website and such. Lots of B.C. boys. Cool. Some cadets with glider experience. Only 1 girl, unfortunately... CFASC staff were very friendly. Anyway, we get briefed, they broke it down aka "good luck eh bud. These tests have successfully reduced the failure rate in Phase I of Pilot training. For a reason. They're hard." Okay. 4 hours of computerized testing. Jesus. Designed to discourage and overwhelm. Listen to my advice: Behave like a computer. If there's too much going on, don't react with any human emotion. Do whatever and/or however much you can do. Don't worry about anything that you let slip up 500 milliseconds ago. Just move on. It's nearly impossible to perform great on all the tests. Honest. In aviation, they say when something bad is happening, the first thing you do is "FLY THE PLANE." Adapt that mentality to the tests. That's what they're looking for. They want to know that you have the ability to not lock up mentally and freeze and stare at the screen with an elevated heart rate. If you fail any given objective, just MOVE ON and perform AS HARD AS YOU CAN for the next objective. I felt like I was being KILLED for a SIGNIFICANT chunk of the tests. Make sure you can do reasonably difficult math in your head. Learn all of the mental arithmetic tricks. When I walked out for my first break, the other guys asked me how I was doing and I just said "I refuse to comment. I'll know tomorrow." We had lunch. We got a bus to the control tower. It was SICK. We exchanged questions and comments for a full 20-25 mins. AECs were so friendly and down to earth. They scrambled some Hornets for our entertainment. Just kidding. I wish. They were very very very relaxed in there. That's the attitude you need to pass Aircrew Selection, btw. They had one of the SAR birds circle the tower a few times for us. It was SICK. They let us out on the cat walk outside while the bird was circling the tower. It was SICK, did I mention? I think I did. After that, the bus took us back to Yukon Lodge. The rest of the day is free. Relax, eat, go to bed early. Saw an actual SAR tech in an orange flight suit. Couldn't stop staring. Btw, they sell literally everything in the universe at Canex. Drove to Jiffy Lube to change my car's oil and got a haircut to take my mind off of things. Went to Wal Mart to buy some fruits and food. Got a full 9 hours that night. I was relaxed.

Tuesday:
Wake up, check out of Yukon Lodge, show up at xx:yy and head straight to the testing room. Another 4 hours. I think I found the second day a little bit easier than the first. I don't know. Doesn't matter. We returned to the candidate lounge. They started calling us in one by one to a selection person's office. We were told simply whether or not we passed, and for which trades. They gave us a piece of paper with the result. Result is valid for 5 years. If you fail, you need to wait 12 months before re-testing. You get a maximum of 3 attempts in your life. They will tell you which domains you demonstrated strength in. If you ask, they will also tell you which domains were the worst. Pilots need to pass all domains and achieve a certain overall score. ACSOs and AECs need to achieve a certain overall score ONLY. That means, if ACSO and AEC candidates utterly get murdered in one domain, but perform great in another, you can still consider yourself safe. You're going after an overall score. Each test is weighed differently for all three trades. Therefore, it's possible to pass for AEC, but not ACSO or Pilot, for example. Myself and 3 or 4 others passed for Pilot. I don't have an exact count. Some of the guys made a B line straight to the front door as soon as they were given their results. We assumed they failed. After all candidates were briefed, the successful Pilot candidates were taken to a room with anthropometric measuring equipment. That took all of 2 minutes. They measured some dimensions of my thighs and knees and spine to determine which airframes I can safely fit in. I fit in all airframes. :) Staff asked me what I wanted to fly, I said "it doesn't matter, it's an honour and a privilege to even be here right now." Flight suit guy responded with "good answer." lol. I thanked the CFASC staff for running the joint. It was good. I said bye and walked to my car and drove back home.

Aftermath:
Contacted CFRC. They said it typically takes 2 to 3 weeks after passing CFASC for the first medical and interview to be booked. Followed by a Phase II medical for aircrew candidates. After that, I can expect an offer. A year of waiting in the Competition/Merit list is typical. It's fine. I have a job right now. I told my supervisor EVERYTHING and he is highly supportive. Man wears a Tavares jersey every Friday. lol. I'm grateful.

TL;DR: The tests are discouraging and overwhelming. It's up to you to act appropriately about past failures by disregarding them and focusing on the current objective that matters at that point in time.

I've read many posts like this on forums, but I never thought I'd be in a position to write one myself. I'm grateful.

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1422 on: February 08, 2019, 10:44:50 »
I never went. I just went to McD's and Tim's and Canex to buy food.

ACSOs and AECs need to achieve a certain overall score ONLY. That means, if ACSO and AEC candidates utterly get murdered in one domain, but perform great in another, you can still consider yourself safe. You're going after an overall score.

The food at the base kitchen is actually pretty decent.

As for the ACSO/AEC did they change things?   Went I went there for my ACS you could pass over all but if you failed a domain it was a headshot (for ACSOs).

Offline Baden Guy

Full Member.

• Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1423 on: February 08, 2019, 20:09:02 »
Thanks for the report Mr.Smith. Nice to read of your experience. Best of luck as you move forward towards your goal.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 08:27:04 by Baden Guy »

Offline Duffman118

• Rate Post
« Reply #1424 on: March 27, 2019, 15:57:46 »
Hello all,

I have been monitoring this forum for years and am happy to say I recently joined the competition list for DEO at beginning of February. I was just curious if anyone knows when they will start the selection process for the 79 candidates this year and how many people are selected at one time?

Thank you!