Author Topic: The "So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread  (Read 789755 times)

Online kratz

Spring is still hiding under the covers.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: The "So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread
« Reply #1425 on: May 04, 2019, 10:28:37 »
PFT (Primary Flight Training) 
BFT (Basic Flight Training) 
AFT (Advance Flight Training) : awarded your Wings upon graduation
Posting to OTU (Operational Training Unit)

There are ideal lengths of time for each phase, but factors such as sick days, weather, aircraft repairs ect...can lengthen your personal experience.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Redhead8989

• Rate Post
« Reply #1426 on: May 04, 2019, 14:14:26 »
Thanks! Any idea the lengths of each course? Or locations? All I could find on the forces site was 8 months in Moose Jaw.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1427 on: May 05, 2019, 23:50:18 »
Just out of curiosity, have you read through this and other relevant threads and still not been able to find out? If you haven't, I suggest that you do. You'll learn far more that way.

I went through this process a few decades ago, and some things have changed since then, but PFT (Musketeer - and I was on the first batch of Musketeers; there was a second buy when those wore out, and then the Slingsby Firefly, and now the Grob) was 2 to 2.5 months long, as was Basic Hel (Jet Ranger), and BFT (Tutor, then, and now Harvard) was ten months for those of us fortunate to go hel and a year for those not. Some of the hel guys are doing an extended Grob course now instead of flying the Harvard, which makes more sense.

Course times have likely not changed too much, but the gaps between courses has. When I went through, it was about a smooth two-year process, with only a few weeks between courses, plus six for Aeromedical, Land, and Sea Survival Training. I'm not sure what the current average is, but it's far less civilized. The OTU wait for one particular helicopter is about two years. Be patient, and bring a book.

Offline Mozartkart

• Rate Post
« Reply #1428 on: June 12, 2019, 10:51:59 »
Just thought I'd let every hopeful recruit know that the new DEO pilot numbers have been reduced to 16 for the fiscal year. I believe one person was already selected leaving 15 slots (94%).

Online hiking

• Rate Post
« Reply #1429 on: June 12, 2019, 13:39:58 »
I am curious, where did you get this information ? It is quite a drop from what they announced earlier this year.

Offline Mozartkart

• Rate Post
« Reply #1430 on: June 12, 2019, 15:01:25 »
I am curious, where did you get this information ? It is quite a drop from what they announced earlier this year.

Heard a rumour so I called my recruiting centre to ask. They confirmed the drop in DEO Pilot intake numbers. No reason given as to why but I am guessing it might have to do with a training back log maybe? Or maybe they are hoping to entice back experience pilots with their new pilot retainment ideas that they are talking about and don't want to take on way more recruits if they can bring in experience people? Once again the reason is all speculation on my part but the numbers are correct as of at least 2 weeks ago.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1431 on: June 12, 2019, 17:48:43 »
The former far more than the latter, if for no more valid reason.

The latter will have no more effect that its two-decade-older precedent, and for the same reasons.

Offline K1tesurf

• Rate Post
« Reply #1432 on: June 12, 2019, 20:14:59 »
Another thing is that new trade coming out to fill the pilot desk positions will probably greatly
Reduce the positions available for pilots and thus, the recruiting numbers.

Offline BurmaShave

• Rate Post
  • Hates lines.
« Reply #1433 on: June 13, 2019, 03:37:32 »
Another thing is that new trade coming out to fill the pilot desk positions will probably greatly
Reduce the positions available for pilots and thus, the recruiting numbers.

Air Ops isn't going to cut recruiting, it's just going (ideally) free up aircrew. Make good some of the shortages.

We're reducing New Wings Grad production for a few reasons. 1, Phase II was overloaded by the push the last 2 years (and ugly winter wx) and needs to unsurge. 2, it turns out a mass orgy of FOs and Wingmen with minimal hours was not the solution to the pilot shortage, and has just made more problems.

Fewer NWGs means fewer enrollees. Remains to be seen how long or drastic the slowdown is. Best of luck.
YQR Pirep from DH8: And it’s hard to fly an airplane, in the cold November rain

Offline Capfiddich

• Rate Post
« Reply #1434 on: June 13, 2019, 16:46:25 »
Was told from my CFRC that pilot numbers were shortened to a total of 16 for this year with 7 remaining as of today. Quite different from the 15 left from before, after waiting for so long I'm thinking of applying for the other aircrew trades now.

Offline Duffman118

• Rate Post
« Reply #1435 on: June 13, 2019, 18:41:19 »
Was told from my CFRC that pilot numbers were shortened to a total of 16 for this year with 7 remaining as of today. Quite different from the 15 left from before, after waiting for so long I'm thinking of applying for the other aircrew trades now.

I know wait times differ drastically based on a great variety of factors but how long have you waited if you dont mind me asking?

I've only just joined the comp list in March and am just trying to get a "rough" idea of the expected wait time.. I assume that the wait just got longer if the above info is correct.

I was also wondering if anyone knows if I need to redo the target interview and pilot medical each year... I did my first job interview last August, my last medical in Toronto was November.

Thank you!

Offline Mozartkart

• Rate Post
« Reply #1436 on: June 13, 2019, 20:20:07 »
I know wait times differ drastically based on a great variety of factors but how long have you waited if you don't mind me asking?

I've only just joined the comp list in March and am just trying to get a "rough" idea of the expected wait time. I assume that the wait just got longer if the above info is correct.

I was also wondering if anyone knows if I need to redo the target interview and pilot medical each year... I did my first job interview last August, my last medical in Toronto was November.

Thank you!

I got on the competition list earlier this year so in the same boat as you. You have to redo your interview and basic medical every year (so you'll have to redo your interview in August for example). I think the aircrew medical is good for two years though.
And it is very hard to give you a rough idea of the expected wait time. That depends on a lot of factors and how competitive the merit list is. Some people say if you get on the list it's just a matter of time but that is a very optimistic look. The competition list is just that, a ranked list of applicants that they will select starting with the most competitive. And who knows when they will select those pilots, they could select them all at the end of the year for all we know. So in the meantime keep physical and in good health, but also keep working on your personal life and career. That way if an offer comes, you are ready to go, but if one doesn't come anytime soon you haven't put your life on hold waiting. But if you want an idea of wait times, I know people that were selected for DEO pilot in 3 months, and I know someone who was selected after 3 years so who knows how long it'll take.

Offline Capfiddich

• Rate Post
« Reply #1437 on: June 14, 2019, 00:07:33 »
I know wait times differ drastically based on a great variety of factors but how long have you waited if you dont mind me asking?

I've only just joined the comp list in March and am just trying to get a "rough" idea of the expected wait time.. I assume that the wait just got longer if the above info is correct.

Thank you!

I got on the list early last year and been waiting since then. Waiting doesn't mean anything and the people who come after you can take the spot as it competitive so it's a good idea to have back-up plan if it doesn't work.