Author Topic: Direct Entry Officer (DEO) questions [Merged]  (Read 285627 times)

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: Direct Entry Officer (DEO) questions [Merged]
« Reply #475 on: February 28, 2017, 17:45:38 »
A lot of occupations have high failure rates, and AEC is one of them. "Hard"? Some courses are, and there is a lot of work required to pass them, yes, but, aside from that, some people, no matter how intelligent, motivated, and talented, are simply not suited for those types of work.

Having your mind at ease is not a good thing now, on course, or on the job. Another term for that is "complacency".

And it's "Int" in Canada. "Intel" is American.

Offline edlabonte

• Rate Post
« Reply #476 on: February 28, 2017, 18:32:45 »
Passing an AEC course is not for the faint of heart.  You will spend many nights studying for exams or practicing in the simulator.  You need to focus maximum effort at all times while on course.  You must study and practice with your course mates.  You will either pass together or fail alone. 

Then when Friday night comes around, you will need to take some time to relax and unwind.  If you don't, you well stress yourself out and buckle under the heavy course load.

Good luck on your upcoming courses, See you in the Ops Room.

Offline overwatch

• Rate Post
« Reply #477 on: August 13, 2017, 18:02:35 »
I will be applying to Aerospace Control Officer occupation as a direct entry applicant and I was curious about a specific scenario regarding it. I will most likely have Aerospace Control Officer as my only listed occupation. I was wondering what would happen if I, by happenstance, fail my professional training? Will I be "forced" to take on another occupation or will I be let go?

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #478 on: August 13, 2017, 18:12:00 »
You've already asked this question and had it answered in another thread. If you want more detail, call the recruiting centre.

Offline overwatch

• Rate Post
« Reply #479 on: August 14, 2017, 11:59:36 »
You've already asked this question and had it answered in another thread. If you want more detail, call the recruiting centre.

My bad. Another user suggested this thread, I thought there was more details to the question that weren't addressed.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #480 on: August 14, 2017, 13:02:23 »
Suggestion was an implication to read through the thread.  :nod:

Offline Sorcerers

• Rate Post
« Reply #481 on: August 21, 2017, 19:43:51 »
Heyo All... Is there anyone out there who has applied for DEO Legal in the past 12 months? And if yes, what stage of the process are you at?

I haven't heard anything since September 2016 (July 2016 CFAT) despite following up with my local CFRC by telephone and email.

Thanks!!

Offline csers

• Rate Post
« Reply #482 on: August 30, 2017, 13:31:31 »
Heyo All... Is there anyone out there who has applied for DEO Legal in the past 12 months? And if yes, what stage of the process are you at?

I haven't heard anything since September 2016 (July 2016 CFAT) despite following up with my local CFRC by telephone and email.

Thanks!!

Yup... glad I'm not the only one asking!  :nod:

I completed my application in November 2016, and have had radio silence pretty much ever since. The info that I do have is that as of June 2017, there were 13 positions available and 19 applicants for each one. Yet Legal Officer is listed as "Now hiring", and are still accepting applications. Several reserve units were hiring, but I'm not sure if they still are- I understand that offers have gone out for the units in Ottawa.  Rumor also has it that they are about to go on a major hiring spree, so I guess we'll see.
Recruiting Centre: CFRC Victoria
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: DEO Officer
Trade Choice 1: Legal
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: 10 Oct 2016
CFAT: 1 Nov 2016
Interview:
Medical Exam:
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Swearing in:
BMOQ:

Offline ACE_Engineer

• Rate Post
« Reply #483 on: November 19, 2018, 10:46:41 »
This seems the most appropriate thread for my question, even though it's quite old:

From what I can tell from the CF recruiting site, some DEO candidates are commissioned as 2nd LT while others immediately as a full LT.

My understanding, based on information on CAF recruitment pages and this website, was that if and when I qualify as a DEO in the Reserves, my rank would immediately be 2Lt upon swearing in (I have a Masters in the preferred degree for my trade), and promoted to Lt after DP1. However, I was on a base recently, and was informed by a serving Captain that despite the official rules, I would actually be taken in as an Officer Cadet and be promoted to 2Lt AFTER DP1.

This affects pay, which affects my ability to proceed with my recruitment, since my employer will now have to compensate for a larger pay-gap.

I've sent an email out to my recruiter to confirm, but I'm hoping to get some POV on why this is the case.

EDIT

Just to add another question, what exactly is the length of the BMOQ Army/Land course (the one after BMQ, before trades, that must be done full-time)? I have been given numbers from 4 weeks to 3 months by recruiters and members on base.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 11:01:24 by ACE_Engineer »

Offline RomeoJuliet

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #484 on: November 19, 2018, 11:55:44 »
This seems the most appropriate thread for my question, even though it's quite old:

My understanding, based on information on CAF recruitment pages and this website, was that if and when I qualify as a DEO in the Reserves, my rank would immediately be 2Lt upon swearing in (I have a Masters in the preferred degree for my trade), and promoted to Lt after DP1. However, I was on a base recently, and was informed by a serving Captain that despite the official rules, I would actually be taken in as an Officer Cadet and be promoted to 2Lt AFTER DP1.

This affects pay, which affects my ability to proceed with my recruitment, since my employer will now have to compensate for a larger pay-gap.

I've sent an email out to my recruiter to confirm, but I'm hoping to get some POV on why this is the case.

EDIT

Just to add another question, what exactly is the length of the BMOQ Army/Land course (the one after BMQ, before trades, that must be done full-time)? I have been given numbers from 4 weeks to 3 months by recruiters and members on base.

There are a few guidlines regarding promotions in the PRes. Best check with the unit you are applying to.  BMOQA is 11 weeks long.

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #485 on: November 19, 2018, 23:17:54 »
Common issue of incorrect information passed.

All officers are enrolled as OCdt.  As a DEO you may be promoted after completing military training with an effective date of your enrolment (and yes back pay will be issued).  Note that MAY does not mean WILL even though most times it does happen.
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #486 on: November 19, 2018, 23:49:16 »
Commissioning is always as SLt/2Lt; in certain instances, it is followed by simultaneous promotion to another rank.  But commissioning scrolls are always to the rank of SLt/2Lt.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline ACE_Engineer

• Rate Post
« Reply #487 on: November 20, 2018, 10:15:51 »
From what I read above and the info I've gathered, there is no standard procedure. Or at least, adherence to standard procedure.

Offline ACE_Engineer

• Rate Post
« Reply #488 on: November 22, 2018, 21:10:16 »
I got confirmation from a senior recruiter: Enrollment is as OCdt, with immediate promotion to 2Lt after completion of BMQ, before BMOQ-A

Offline OceanBonfire

• Rate Post
« Reply #489 on: November 29, 2018, 21:09:49 »
As someone who recently graduated from BMOQ, I'm quoting the correct answer:

All officers are enrolled as OCdt.  As a DEO you may be promoted after completing military training with an effective date of your enrolment (and yes back pay will be issued).  Note that MAY does not mean WILL even though most times it does happen.
Recruiting Center: Montreal
Regular/Reserve: Regular Force
Officer/NCM: Officer (DEO)
Occupation choice: Logistics Officer
Current application: March 28, 2017
CFAT: Previously completed in November 2011
Interview: July 11, 2017
Medical: August 2017
Competition list: October/November 2017
Position Offered: May 25, 2018
Swearing In: August 21, 2018
BMOQ: August 25, 2018
BMOQ Graduation: November 16, 2018

Offline ACE_Engineer

• Rate Post
« Reply #490 on: November 30, 2018, 15:12:06 »
Thanks for that clarification. I've sent you a PM with a question regarding your recent BMOQ.

Offline Lefthandit

• Rate Post
« Reply #491 on: December 15, 2018, 17:53:06 »
Hey guys so I’m currently waiting to hear back regarding the next steps following my CFAT which went well, my main choice was ACSO. At the center the guy told me the contract length was 6 years; if it comes to the point of offering me a contract, would the length of the contract be negotiable in either direction? Applying DEO.

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #492 on: December 19, 2018, 15:35:17 »

Yes all officers are enrolled as OCdt; however other than ROTP they all receive pay as 2Lt or higher while on BMOQ.  Only ROTP receive OCdt pay while undergoing training.

So to clarify.

Rank on Shoulder
While on BMOQ: OCdt
Upon completion of BMOQ: 2Lt/Lt/Capt (depending on occupation)

Pay
While on BMOQ: 2Lt/Lt/CApt (depending on occupation)

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #493 on: December 19, 2018, 15:49:22 »
The contract length (Terms of Service [TOS]) is not negotiable.  It is a predetermined amount of time that the CAF is promising to employ you.
The only way you have an obligatory service is if the CAF pays for education; at the end of your TOS if you perform well you will be offered another contract.  If you do not perform well you will not be offered a further contract.  The CAF isn't for everyone and as long as you do not incur obligatory service you can release prior to your TOS (depending on your reason for release and how far along in your career it can take upwards of 30 days to be released).