Author Topic: Australia to buy P-8A Poseidon - News.com  (Read 26704 times)

Online Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Re: Australia to buy P-8A Poseidon - News.com
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2016, 10:19:08 »
So would the P-8 make a good platform for the EW/surveillance version of the Aurora, I am assuming they aren't dodging around at low altitude, that would free up those airframes to do ASW. 

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Re: Australia to buy P-8A Poseidon - News.com
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2016, 12:29:56 »
I would say they are far too expensive for that alone.  If you have a MMA, make it a true MMA.   We don't have the funding or people for specialized single function things like Sentinels and Rivot Joints.  I will be CRA before the 140 is replaced, so i don't even dream of P8s.  Like we are being left behind in the fighter world, we are also starting to do so in the maritime domain.

Despite it having an ESM system, the Aurora is not an EW platform.  We do the surveillance/reconnaissance piece now in both overland and maritime mission profiles.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 12:41:58 by Eye In The Sky »
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
RAAF P-8A Poseidon
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2018, 10:03:01 »
Initial Operating Capability for the RAAF P-8A.

Australia’s new maritime surveillance aircraft the P-8A Poseidon has achieved Initial Operating Capability (IOC), five months ahead of the original schedule.

Minister for Defence, Senator the Hon Marise Payne, congratulated Air Force and CASG on the significant milestone that has been achieved.

“Together the P-8A Poseidon and the future MQ-4C Triton aircraft will provide Australia with one of the world’s most advanced maritime patrol and surveillance capabilities,” Minister Payne said.

“The P-8A is a very capable and effective successor to the AP-3C Orion, which will soon retire from the role after nearly 40 years of distinguished service.

“The Poseidon will improve Defence’s ability to conduct Anti-Submarine warfare, maritime patrol and surveillance of Australia’s maritime approaches.”

Chief of Air Force, Air Marshal Leo Davies, said declaring IOC was a significant milestone because the P-8A is a fundamental element of Australian Defence Forces future maritime strategy.

“The arrival of the P-8A has allowed Air Force, under Plan Jericho, to develop and evolve new operating concepts, support arrangements and sustainment options," Air Marshal Davies said.

“These will best exploit the P-8A’s sensors and networking as part of integrated Navy and Air Force integrated Maritime Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Family of Systems.

“The acquisition of the P-8A represents a $5 billion investment in Australia’s maritime patrol capability and along with the MQ-4C Triton, will be a very capable and effective successor to the AP-3C Orion.”

To date, six of Australia’s 12 P-8As have arrived in Australia, operated by Number 11 Squadron from RAAF Base Edinburgh in South Australia.

https://www.airforce.gov.au/news-and-events/news/initial-operating-capability-p-8a-poseidon
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."