Author Topic: What are you watching now?  (Read 3359 times)

Offline AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
What are you watching now?
« on: March 16, 2018, 01:36:04 »
Did a quick search and didn't find anything. So I'll start I guess.

Wife and I are watching "machine gun preacher" and it is very good, touching show. But sad.. deals with the LRA, Sudan etc

It's on Netflix if your interested.
Abdullah

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
Re: What are you watching now?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 07:03:58 »
The old boot and I enjoy Designated Survivor and the New X Files
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline expwor

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 10:56:53 »
A couple off of Netflix I recently watched and enjoyed

Guy Martin: Last Flight Of The Vulcan
Twelve O'clock High
Patriots Day
A Good American
Megan Leavey (kind of a patriotic twist on Old Yeller LOL but based on a true story)

Tom

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 11:04:51 »
A couple off of Netflix I recently watched and enjoyed

Twelve O'clock High

Loved the "pep talk",

"Stop making plans. Forget about going home. Consider yourselves already dead."

Basically the same thing "Bomber Harris" said,

"Bomber Harris bounded up on the platform and his very first words were, 'Most of you people won't be here in a few months. We are about to begin a series of raids that will demand the best from all of you. We know there will be tremendous losses, but it has to be done. You have all done a splendid job, but the real test is still before you. We must beat Germany to her knees.' The direct honest way Harris had answered brought a roar of approval from the crowd, and he went down in our books as a man you could trust."
Boys, bombs and Brussel sprouts,' 1981 by Doug Harvey, RCAF. pg 71-72.

RCAF 6 Group Stn Linton-on-Ouse, England. 408 Goose and 426 Thunderbird Squadrons , 14 Sept 1943.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:19:39 by mariomike »

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 12:57:07 »
Kindda like before we went to Bosnia. We had our final DEU parade with all the wives and kiddies in the stands. The CO came out and announced "Some of you here will be coming home in boxes" or words to that effect (long time ago). The looks on the families behind him registered the shock, disbelief and angst that everyone immediately felt. Some families left because they were so upset. Soldier's families. The rest of us were just gobsmacked. I have no problem with harsh truths being told to troops by superiors in operational settings or before deployment, but wives and children? The old adage, "Know your audience" comes to mind.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 11:09:13 »
Another pep talk.

St. Patrick's Day 2018

City of New York firefighter and paramedic probies, in dress uniform, getting "the talk", doing push-ups, and getting yelled at on the street in Manhattan by an FDNY Lt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNaIZ1CFrFI

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 21:42:35 »
Free Fire

"Vernon was misdiagnosed as a child genius and never got over it”.  :)

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 21:53:42 »
Curling 🥌. Really.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 23:02:56 »
I can relate: that was one hell of a game. The American come back was impressive, even if just short. Made what started as blowout turn into a real interesting contest to watch.

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 23:24:19 »
Oilers vs Kings, to be followed by an Altered Carbon mini binge.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 16:48:00 »
Dr Who

Offline coyote489

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 18:16:03 »
Just started watching KnightFall, it’s a good series about the Knights Templar if your into that kind of history.   
"Audi, Vide, Tace"

Offline AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 19:04:15 »
Just started watching KnightFall, it’s a good series about the Knights Templar if your into that kind of history.   

Is it on Netflix by chance? That's right up my lane

Offline coyote489

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 20:03:06 »
No it’s not unfortunately. It’s airing on History channel.
"Audi, Vide, Tace"

Offline AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 20:04:23 »
Ah Ok, thanks. Eventually I may break down and get sat or cable 😂

Offline kkwd

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2018, 22:42:33 »
The Terror on AMC. A mix of history and monster movie. The first hour is on tonight with a 2 hour premiere Monday. In the first 30 minutes there was a man overboard and some diving for repairs and a autopsy. As well as a glimpse at the different conditions the officers and ratings have when it comes to meal times. In the second 30 minutes there was a funeral gone wrong and breaking of ice with a ship and some explosives.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2708480/?ref_=nv_sr_1

http://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi2281355289
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 23:10:22 by kkwd »
I like beer.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 12:35:16 »
Just saw Netflix's The Titan.

FYI:  Do not watch The Titan.  I want my 2 hours back.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/mar/29/the-titan-review-unexciting-netflix-sci-fi-squanders-its-premise
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2018, 12:38:22 »
Just watched "ready player one" in theatres and it was surprisingly good.

Also gives a little bit of a message to get out into the real world too... both my wife and i enjoyed it.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2018, 23:53:03 »
Watching Norsemen on Netflix.  It's a Norwegian parody of Vikings, and it was filmed twice - once in Norwegian and once in English - for NRK, their version of CBC. 

It's hilarious, but in a very straight-faced way not unlike the Norgies I served with  :nod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hk_rdfSCS0
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 23:56:18 by Dimsum »
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2018, 16:50:53 »
Season 3 of The Man in the High Castle is out  :nod:

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2018, 13:37:49 »
Just saw the new Dr Who, with the female doctor, not to bad so far.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2019, 21:24:39 »
"Brooklyn's Finest" ( 2009 )

Saw it for the first time the other day on Netflix.

I liked the uniformed NYPD officer named Eddie. A very unremarkable 22 year career. His "service record is not commendable or extraordinary." But, it is satisfactory.

They assign Eddie a rookie partner. Fresh out of the Marines, and very gung-ho.

Eddie decides to take a little drive into a neighbouring precinct for some personal shopping. Outside the area where they are supposed to be. ( Probably has become less common since they installed GPS in emergency vehicles.  :) )

So, as Eddie does not wish his shopping to be disturbed ( and because they should not be out of their area ), he instructs the new guy, "Wait in the car. Don't touch or do anything."

Of course, the rookie does exactly the opposite. It doesn't go well. After that, they wouldn't even eat lunch together. It was their first and last shift as partners.

I didn't particularly enjoy the rest of the movie. But, I thought that little scene was interesting.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 21:40:33 by mariomike »

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2019, 13:20:25 »
" 'Chernobyl' Is the Best Show No One Should Watch"

There are a few key events from the 80s I can remember vividly while being a reasonably sheltered kid growing up in a small town near the QC border. (It was certainly a very different period than what my own child is growing up in now.)

1. I remember the air-raid siren tests, and the one standing right at the edge of our school yard and the street.

2. I remember watching the Challenger explode while being home from school that day.

3. And I remember hearing about this, although I didn't really understand why the event was on the news all the time and why it was such a big deal when Russia was so far away. (I was only 8.)

I've watched a few documentaries about Chernobyl over the years and have read a lot, so I was eager to check this out. I'll let the article do the talking. ('Contains spoilers, so if you don't want to know, don't read it.) But I highly recommend it.

https://decider.com/2019/05/31/chernobyl-best-show-you-shouldnt-watch/

There’s nothing on television quite like Chernobyl. Whereas most dramatizations of true crimes and real life disasters play with the severity of their horrific realities before pulling back at the last minute, Chernobyl never does. From start to finish it’s an emotionally devastating and beautifully constructed take on a terrible tragedy — making it the best show on television I can’t recommend anyone should watch. Spoilers ahead for Chernobyl Episodes 1-4.

The problem, if you can call it that, is that Chernobyl is simply too good at its job. From Valery Legasov’s (Jared Harris) first moments on screen, creator Craig Mazin’s five-part miniseries makes it clear that it has one goal in mind. It wants to tell the truth about this devastating disaster as possible as best it can. And that truth is inherently grim. On April 26, 1986 one of Chernobyl’s nuclear reactors exploded in a shocking yet preventable catastrophe. An estimated 31 people died directly from this accident’s radiation, but countless other innocent lives have been lost due to radiation poisoning and the carelessness of one government.

There’s no way around it, that’s a bleak story to tell. And to its enduring credit Chernobyl never tries to lighten the mood surrounding its depressing subject matter. Over the HBO series’ past four episodes, so many heart-breaking and intimate stories have been brought to screen. Audiences have watched as a wife care for her poisoned husband as he slowly faded from life, factory workers volunteer to help even though they knew that meant certain death, surly miners walking head on into some of the worst of the radiation at the command of their government, and one young civilian murdering innocent, starving pets for the ultimate good of the world. Chernobyl has even shown us the death of a robot. All of these dramatizations are rooted in fact, by the way. In at least a couple of cases the onscreen version HBO delivered is kinder than what happened in real life.

However it’s the series’ very commitment to authenticity that makes it impossible to recommend. Not just as a critic, but as a human, when I recommend a piece of art to someone else, I want it to enrich their lives in some way. I want to bring them joy or comfort or a form of escapism to combat the frustrations of day-to-day life. In short, I want to make them feel better. And no episode of Chernobyl  has ever made me feel better.

Each hourlong masterpiece has felt like an emotional beating as I watch through partially covered eyes. It’s just all so sad: these people who have given their lives to save the world and who have received next to no credit. The families that were irreparably ruined by a manmade mistake. A government that absolutely refuses to help the victims it has created. That same government actively lying both to its people and the world about the severity of Chernobyl, only to save face. All of those good dogs.

If there is a silver lining, and in true Chernobyl form it’s a slim one, it is that we’re all still alive to reflect on Chernobyl as a past tragedy and not an ongoing disaster. That’s it. Us being alive right now is the message of hope at the end of this supremely dark tunnel. The everyday heroes who gave their lives and sacrificed everything to contain this monstrosity now have a chance to be posthumously remembered for their bravery.

So though I can’t recommend watching it, through its pain-staking showcases of bleak sacrifice, it has helped to make me a better, more grateful person. I leave it up to you if you want to take that journey, as well.

The final episode of Chernobyl premieres on HBO 9/8c.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 13:25:16 by BeyondTheNow »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2019, 14:01:25 »
" 'Chernobyl' Is the Best Show No One Should Watch"

There are a few key events from the 80s I can remember vividly while being a reasonably sheltered kid growing up in a small town near the QC border.

I think for our local emergency services, Three Mile Island got more attention.

1) It happened first. ( 1979 )

2) It was closer to home.

Our department sent a couple of members down as observers. The lessons learned during the evacuation in Pennsylvania may have helped a few months later during the Mississauga Train Derailment. Prior to Hurricane Katrina, it was the largest peacetime evacuation in North American history.