Author Topic: 14 Wing flips the switch for barracks wifi  (Read 3361 times)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
14 Wing flips the switch for barracks wifi
« on: March 21, 2018, 12:59:10 »
The article hasn't come out yet but I've heard through the grapevine (and now FB) that wifi is available in the shacks in Greenwood. 

Seems like a small thing, but for the folks on course for 7-9 months, not paying $100 per month getting gouged by Eastlink for dial-up download speeds helps.

https://www.facebook.com/TheAuroraNews/posts/869528503252597?pnref=story
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

jollyjacktar

Re: 14 Wing flips the switch for barracks wifi
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 13:31:58 »
The article hasn't come out yet but I've heard through the grapevine (and now FB) that wifi is available in the shacks in Greenwood. 

Seems like a small thing, but for the folks on course for 7-9 months, not paying $100 per month getting gouged by Eastlink for dial-up download speeds helps.

https://www.facebook.com/TheAuroraNews/posts/869528503252597?pnref=story

Bravo, Greenwood.   :nod:

Offline dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 14:51:46 »
Hopefully this spreads to other bases across Canada.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.
- Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 19:00:43 »
It's part of the modern day, and not having Wifi now is comparable to shacks not having the "tie-line" or pay phones back 20 years ago.  I can do pretty much anything that is important these days on my iPhone;  pay bills, emails, schedules, keep in touch with my real CO, read Ebooks.

Facetime and Skype keep families 'closer' together when they are apart.  Greenwood is 'semi-isolated' for people on TD or AP there without a vehicle, with the nearest 'center' being New Minas/Wolfville area and that is 30min down the 101.  Doing a course on the DLN?  Not in the Wing SQs you weren't!   8)
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline Eagle Eye View

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 19:32:00 »
This should’ve happen 10 years ago. It surprise me it took so long. It’s all part of the morale welfare. When I stayed in the US accommodations, they always had wifi available for their troops.
Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.

John F. Kennedy

Online garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 21:55:03 »
I don't know, .maybe I'm missing something but I've had connectivity in transient quarters I've been through ever since around 2009?  Initially it was hardwired but in the last 5 years or so it's been all wireless.  Or is this just a big thing because Greenwood's about the only place that hasn't had it? :dunno:

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 22:00:45 »
I don't know, .maybe I'm missing something but I've had connectivity in transient quarters I've been through ever since around 2009?  Initially it was hardwired but in the last 5 years or so it's been all wireless.  Or is this just a big thing because Greenwood's about the only place that hasn't had it? :dunno:

I can’t speak for many locations, but when I was in Edmonton, barracks didn’t have wifi, but transient quarters did. Maybe it’s changed now, but there was definitely no wifi while I was in barracks, which was a bit of a downer at times.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 22:14:27 »
While this is good news...I was just reading some of the comments on the article.  "welcome to 2002" kind of made me chuckle. 

And ya, good on the Col Adamson for realizing this is a morale issue and taking steps to get it done.
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 01:51:10 »
I can’t speak for many locations, but when I was in Edmonton, barracks didn’t have wifi, but transient quarters did. Maybe it’s changed now, but there was definitely no wifi while I was in barracks, which was a bit of a downer at times.

Greenwood had neither until now.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 05:39:54 »
Greenwood had both in BB3, which was torn down to make room for the new hospital.   

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 06:02:08 »
The CAF needs a radical rethink of quarters. We need a single simple site for bookings, and not every base its own odd method.  I would favour contracting it out - get a hotel management group to run it & even do the construction.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 07:07:46 »
The CAF needs a radical rethink of quarters. We need a single simple site for bookings, and not every base its own odd method.  I would favour contracting it out - get a hotel management group to run it & even do the construction.

Maybe allowing members to collect some type of travel reward points for going on TD to places like Meaford, Dundurn, Aldershot etc. would make it easier to fill Reserve Summer Training instructor billets.
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 07:14:52 »
The CAF needs a radical rethink of quarters. We need a single simple site for bookings, and not every base its own odd method. I would favour contracting it out - get a hotel management group to run it & even do the construction.

Why not give the steward trade their job back ?  Minus the CE part or course :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 07:18:18 by Halifax Tar »
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Online garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 21:16:13 »
A lot of bases have already contracted this out, at least during silent hours.  To the Commissionaires.   :facepalm:

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 21:19:48 »
Why not give the steward trade their job back ?  Minus the CE part or course :)

If it's a static garrison function, unless it doubles as necessary ship to shore billets, we need to get over our uniform fetish.  With a finite number of members authorized for the CAF, we have to optimize the use of every position.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 10:34:47 »
A lot of bases have already contracted this out, at least during silent hours.  To the Commissionaires.   :facepalm:

Borden is the worst example of this.  Is their a slower and more unreasonable clear in & out process ?

If it's a static garrison function, unless it doubles as necessary ship to shore billets, we need to get over our uniform fetish.  With a finite number of members authorized for the CAF, we have to optimize the use of every position.

I can read between those lines lol
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way