Author Topic: Waiting Game  (Read 8409 times)

Offline Xylric

• Rate Post
Waiting Game
« on: March 29, 2018, 16:54:50 »
What luck that as a twin, I've participated in a number of research studies which meant I had to lie in an MRI for six hours, explicitly asked to try to not to think of anything. I wrote the CFAT on Feb 8 and passed sufficiently for the roles I was most interested in (NWO and Pilot), and was told that they would get back to me in about four weeks. It's now been seven. Given that I was also told that my CFAT scores were pretty much average for those trying for an officer role, I'm far from surprised if the reason why I haven't been contacted for anything further is because they wanted to prioritize stronger candidates.

Given that one of my core hobbies is military history (especially Canadian Naval history, considering that my paternal great great grandfather was a shipwright who helped build her first line of ships), this is something which I understand perfectly. I just wanted to encourage everyone in a similar position to myself to go find something else to do while you wait. If you spend the time waiting learn a skill which is in high demand, you'll only appear to be a stronger candidate in the long run. As for me, I'm taking a graduate-level class in Cybersecurity.

Offline gazorpazorpfield

• Rate Post
Re: Waiting Game
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 17:05:05 »
Heya Xylric,
I'm assuming your waiting on an offer for NWO; same here. I'm currently learning French and whipping myself into shape while I'm waiting for that offer. I can't help myself from getting anxious though: checking my phone every minute, my inbox, these forums if anyone got their call... :Tin-Foil-Hat:
Recruiting Centre: Regina (SK)
Entry plan: Regular DEO
Choice 1: PILOT (Dropped)
Choice 2: MARS/NWO
Choice 3: ARMOUR OFFICER

Applied:        July 31/17
First Contact: Oct 03/17
CFAT/TSD:    Oct 24/17
Medical:        Nov 16/17
MOST:          Mar 09/18
Interview:     Mar 09/18
Medical supplementary forms submitted: Nov 22/17
Merit Listed:  Mar 12/18
Position Offered:   June 15/18 - NWO
Swearing In:   Aug 29/18
BMOQ:   Sep 10/18

Offline Xylric

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 17:06:18 »
No, actually. All I've done is write the CFAT. I'm waiting for them to get back to me about when to go in for Medical.

Offline gazorpazorpfield

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 17:09:50 »
You'll get called in soon. Took me 3 months from CFAT to Medical.

Offline Xylric

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 17:17:18 »
Hopefully.

At least if this doesn't pan out, I have my current position as the CEO of a start-up to fall back on. While it's true that to join the CAF, I'd have to give up that role, the reality is that I've set things up to make myself as redundant as possible so that it would survive if I had to appoint a replacement.

Of course, the fact that it's based in the US is likely a problem, but I'll deal with that when it matters.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 17:25:31 by Xylric »

Offline unicornteacher

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 17:39:29 »
Heya Xylric,
I'm assuming your waiting on an offer for NWO; same here. I'm currently learning French and whipping myself into shape while I'm waiting for that offer. I can't help myself from getting anxious though: checking my phone every minute, my inbox, these forums if anyone got their call... :Tin-Foil-Hat:
I think starting next week there will be more phone calls with offers. Last I checked for my trade  positions from 17/18 year were still open and the recruiter said selections could have been done this week. It's now Easter weekend so we can rest the weekend knowing we won't get any news until Tuesday at the earliest! I won't have to keep checking my phone for a few days. 😆

Offline gazorpazorpfield

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 18:51:18 »
I think starting next week there will be more phone calls with offers. Last I checked for my trade  positions from 17/18 year were still open and the recruiter said selections could have been done this week. It's now Easter weekend so we can rest the weekend knowing we won't get any news until Tuesday at the earliest! I won't have to keep checking my phone for a few days. 😆
Time to turn off for a bit. Getting tired of constantly refreshing my inbox and the forums for the latest news. Btw, are there any other resources beside this site? The CF reddit is pretty crap. ???

Offline Primus

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 20:59:32 »
Getting tired of constantly refreshing my inbox and the forums for the latest news.

Oh boy, do I ever know that feel...

Offline Cwes

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 21:52:17 »
Oh boy, do I ever know that feel...

I think recruiters gain to their life force from our anxiety.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 21:55:04 by Cwes »

Offline Primus

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 23:02:18 »

Hahaha that made my day.

Offline LegioXEquestris

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 00:04:06 »

Nah, it's the CFRG.  :Tin-Foil-Hat:
Infantry DEO - BMOQ Jan 2019

Offline Trueprince2

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 09:03:27 »
Glad im not the only one refreshing my inbox more than ever

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 16:31:31 »
Nah, it's the CFRG.  :Tin-Foil-Hat:

I only wish; all I can say is I didn't have gray hair prior to working in recruiting...

Offline Xylric

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 16:47:49 »
I only wish; all I can say is I didn't have gray hair prior to working in recruiting...

All the stress with raising children magnified significantly, I bet?

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 07:37:35 »
All the stress with raising children magnified significantly, I bet?
No children, it's all on Recruiting :-)

Offline OceanBonfire

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 03:19:36 »
I didn't thought it could be real long because I got an offer within weeks back when I applied for ROTP for civilian university. Now I regret waiting a little bit and not applying right away when I graduated.  :'(
Recruiting Center: Montreal
Regular/Reserve: Regular Force
Officer/NCM: Officer (DEO)
Occupation choice #2: Logistics Officer (Selected)
Current application: March 28, 2017
CFAT: Previously completed in November 2011
Interview: July 11, 2017
Medical: August 2017
Competition list: October/November 2017
Position Offered: May 25, 2018
Swearing In: August 21, 2018
BMOQ: August 25, 2018

Offline Xylric

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2018, 01:01:31 »
I may need to back out of my application - I took a bad spill while running and am waiting to hear back about how badly I injured my knee. While I'm optimistic, the reality is my grandfather had been drafted by the NHL back in the late 1940s, and ended up missing the chance entirely because the rival team from his last college game decided they were sick of him and went directly for his knee, so it's a slightly personal concern on my end. Hockey was, after all, his life (though I will admit that he likely met and married my grandmother because that window closed, so I guess it's a matter of perspective).

Offline Cwes

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2018, 10:12:41 »
I may need to back out of my application - I took a bad spill while running and am waiting to hear back about how badly I injured my knee. While I'm optimistic, the reality is my grandfather had been drafted by the NHL back in the late 1940s, and ended up missing the chance entirely because the rival team from his last college game decided they were sick of him and went directly for his knee, so it's a slightly personal concern on my end. Hockey was, after all, his life (though I will admit that he likely met and married my grandmother because that window closed, so I guess it's a matter of perspective).

If your experiencing physical issues, definitely wait until you heal up. Don't give up your body for your job.

Offline Xylric

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 11:44:10 »
Remarkable timing - just after I was told that I'd merely pulled a muscle and that I'd be fine in a few days, I got an e-mail telling me that I need to complete air-crew selection. Heh. I'd begun to focus on my NWO application, so this is a very nice surprise.

Offline JP4422

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2018, 12:31:51 »
The waiting game is the worst part. You lose more and more faith in yourself every single day, especially since I am on a timeline that's drawing to a close...

Offline ndziy

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2018, 11:54:42 »
I wrote my Aptitude test on may 8th 2018, Now i had already received the email saying that my application is approved for further processing and has been sent to my local recruiting center here in edmonton. now my question is that is this a sign that i will be contacted soon or is it just a simple reminder that my app is back home and they just have to book my appointments

Offline LegioXEquestris

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2018, 01:14:00 »
I wrote my Aptitude test on may 8th 2018, Now i had already received the email saying that my application is approved for further processing and has been sent to my local recruiting center here in edmonton. now my question is that is this a sign that i will be contacted soon or is it just a simple reminder that my app is back home and they just have to book my appointments

They'll probably contact you to book appointments. Contact your recruitment center right away though, as doing so will likely speed up the process regardless.
Infantry DEO - BMOQ Jan 2019

Offline Daishi

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 16:56:26 »
Best to stop stressing about it. I entered the system in 2010, and JUST got an offer a few weeks ago. Finally a light at the end of the tunnel.

And all because of losing my application AND my medical (TWICE!), and then grandfathering my scores from CFAT when they changed the requirements up in ~2014 and not telling me till 2016 making me have to re-do it. I cant tell you how many times I've "updated" my medical and application.  :waiting:

The recruitment system is a joke, and everyone knows it. Some serious work needs to be put in. Tons of articles and write ups about how the system is failing and Canada is loosing promising recruits due to excessive wait times. I was planning on not renewing this year, then got a random phone call one day at work from an unlisted number, followed by an email.

Honestly, just forget about it. Work on yourself because you want to get healthy. Live your life. If they call, they call.

Good luck! :)

Offline sbje1959

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 18:24:47 »
Applied to be a Pilot through the Seneca CEOTP program back in September. Went through CFASC and my Aircrew medical and all that, and finally had my third interview about a month ago. The interviewer said he was pushing my file forward, and that it would be with the MCC briefly before being entered into the Competition List.

If an offer is coming my way, how long might it take?

I've got a lease expiring at the end of August, and I know that the next start date for this program is September. I legally have to give 60 days' written notice of the termination of my lease, so I'd really like it if I didn't have to pay rent for a place I'm not living, and to be able to give my landlord adequate notice.

Does anyone know if it's likely that I'll be getting good news sometime in the next couple of weeks? Any later and I'm stuck paying rent for September even if I'm not there.

Offline Daishi

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2018, 18:41:20 »
Nobody can tell you for sure. Files move at a snails pace.

From what I can see in the job offers threads, people are getting Sept BMOQ times now.

Your times may vary, and who even knows if there is a pilot selection anytime soon. I do believe that the forces might be able to help you out if you are in a lease agreement, as you wouldn't be the first. I could be wrong of course. Best bet is to go in person to your CFRC and ask about your lease and your concerns.