Author Topic: Chief of Army bans soldiers from wearing 'arrogant' death symbols  (Read 8636 times)

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
Re: Chief of Army bans soldiers from wearing 'arrogant' death symbols
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2018, 22:51:37 »
And I'm sure that will help fill the Infantry battalions with females.  :sarcasm:

Most of whom will have better skin art than the men......
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Shrek1985

• Rate Post
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-19/army-bans-troops-from-wearing-skulls-death-symbols/9673242?pfmredir=sm

Good of the Aussies to self-ID as not serious about this whole "War"-thing, I'm sure the Russians, Chinese, et al will be grateful.

Oh! Did they ban the Haka, as well? Thought not.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
You're only off by about 2100 km.

The Haka is a Maori custom.

Maoris are indigenous to New Zealand.

So, no, Australia will likely not bother to ban Hakas.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Good of the Aussies to self-ID as not serious about this whole "War"-thing, I'm sure the Russians, Chinese, et al will be grateful.

Oh! Did they ban the Haka, as well? Thought not.

Scenario question.  I have a Reserve Cpl who likes to Velcro things to his tac vest and his body armour and the arms of his combats. One is in fact a punisher symbol.  Another is the Cpl 4 life badge.  Should he be allowed to put anything he wants on his kit?  Or wear his skull bandana on ex because "call of Duty".  Honest question.

Second.  I think the Russians and Chinese could care less about badges one way or another and care more about capability.

Optio

Offline dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Scenario question.  I have a Reserve Cpl who likes to Velcro things to his tac vest and his body armour and the arms of his combats. One is in fact a punisher symbol.  Another is the Cpl 4 life badge.  Should he be allowed to put anything he wants on his kit?  Or wear his skull bandana on ex because "call of Duty".  Honest question.

The only badges he should be wearing are the standard issued ones (rank, nametag, Canadian Flag), and mission specific patches or IFF badges.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.
- Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -1500.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca

Your profile says MWO Infantry. Your last sentence is "Honest question".

Which is it?

Sorry, but you're confusing me.
Diversity includes adverse opinions, or it is not diversity.
Inclusive includes adverse opinions, or is not inclusive.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Your profile says MWO Infantry. Your last sentence is "Honest question".

Which is it?

Sorry, but you're confusing me.

Which is what?

Sorry about the confusion.  I was positing a scenario question and was soliciting honest answers to the question.  Sometimes asking a question in a certain way gives away the answer or generates discussion that leads to an answer.
Optio

Online Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
Patches are like helmet graffiti.  Disciplined units get rid of that crap.
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -1500.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
My suggestion is that, as a CSM or such (MWO Infantry), you have his section commander sort his *** and failing that, have him report to your office for instruction on how to wear his uniform. If he's qualified, have him reiterate the rules to the whole company. Catch him again, start him up the ladder.

Bandanas? That one is obvious.
Diversity includes adverse opinions, or it is not diversity.
Inclusive includes adverse opinions, or is not inclusive.

jollyjacktar

Bandanas?  We don't need no stinking Bandanas!!

Offline standingdown

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
I've never been a fan of wasting time enforcing petty stuff like footwear or beards, but I'm not a fan of the morale patches generally.

I've seen kids who looked like they were just entering puberty with "major league infidel" patches on their crappy issued small packs...walking around the mall, or a university campus etc. If I was a bad guy, these wieners would be the first ones I'd be trying to whack or take hostage.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
I've seen kids who looked like they were just entering puberty with "major league infidel" patches on their crappy issued small packs...walking around the mall, or a university campus etc. If I was a bad guy, these wieners would be the first ones I'd be trying to whack or take hostage.

Where does one even put patches on the issued small pack? 

Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline standingdown

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Where does one even put patches on the issued small pack?

The one that really sticks out in my mind was in Ottawa. I couldn't tell if they had somehow sewn the patch on directly, or if they had added extra velcro but it was either the crappy small pack, or a very close copy, and it had been modified...

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
The one that really sticks out in my mind was in Ottawa. I couldn't tell if they had somehow sewn the patch on directly, or if they had added extra velcro but it was either the crappy small pack, or a very close copy, and it had been modified...

Wait...someone *copied* the crappy small pack   ???
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

jollyjacktar

I do wish l had bought as a souvenir the morale patch l saw for $5 at the Dutch PX in KAF.  It showed Achmed the dead terrorist and had the phrase "Silence! We killed him and we'll kill you".  Of course l hesitated and it sold out, never to return in my time there.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Morale patches are fun but should never be displayed on a uniform or kit. I always liked the suckmeter though

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Morale patches are fun but should never be displayed on a uniform or kit. I always liked the suckmeter though

Keep them for Friday PM at the mess.

Offline Tango2Bravo

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • All your base are belong to us.
Black toques are still OK? No patches on them. 
Well-trained, older Panzer crews are the decisive factor for success...It is preferable to start off with fewer Panzers than to set out with young crews who lack combat experience.

- Verbal report of Gen Balck 1943

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Black toques are still OK? No patches on them.

I’m good with the black toque. Not that I can do anything about them....

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
I loved the morale patches during TGIFs on air bases. I had a "JOPA" patch that I wore proudly during Maple Flags and at air shows.  Another one that comes in mind was the Sea King patch with check marks in boxes denoting decades of service and the phrase "Flying yesterday's aircraft tomorrow" on it.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Morale patches? Pshaw.....

How about interactive RFID tags? :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Online Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
That's a bit different then troops festooning their gear with "Haji don't Surf" or "Crusader" patches when out on patrol in Islamic countries....
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
I loved the morale patches during TGIFs on air bases. I had a "JOPA" patch that I wore proudly during Maple Flags and at air shows.  Another one that comes in mind was the Sea King patch with check marks in boxes denoting decades of service and the phrase "Flying yesterday's aircraft tomorrow" on it.

JOPA?
I feel the need...the NEED to FEED! - Prop Gun

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
For more on morale patches,

Morale Patches 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=105002.0
OP: "Let's discuss, in a jovial manner, morale patches."

Wearing of "team/roto" patches overseas.
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=67599.0
"I think the wearing of appropriate 'team', 'roto' or 'morale' patches is a good thing for the soldiers overseas."

Patching Afghanistan 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=82817.0
"Non-Official being Morale patches and unofficial unit patches"

"I was thinking more morale patch type things..."
https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,101505.msg1162634.html#msg1162634

etc...

Offline standingdown

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
JOPA?

That patch is pretty fitting for you guys these last few years...

;D