Author Topic: Canadian Forces' senior brass have been growing at a much faster rate...  (Read 28899 times)

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Notice in Ottawa that the GOFOs/ Chiefs that do that seem to be a lot more relaxed than the micromanagers; they can give general direction and make decisions, but otherwise stay out of the weeds unless things start going off the rails. They also tend to take the time to mentor people and explain some of their thought process, which takes a bunch of effort, but seems to result in more capable subordinates, so makes it easier in the long run. 
^^^  Just wanted to repeat this.... and note that it's not an "Ottawa" or necessarily a "GOFO/Chief" thing.   :nod:

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Hence your handle.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline whiskey601

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Canadian Forces' senior brass have been growing at a much faster rate...
« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2018, 16:11:06 »
If that were true, than why the increase in 50% in a decade?  Was something not functioning during the height of our Afghan War?

Can you tell us? Honest question.
Living the lean life

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2018, 12:13:36 »
^^^  Just wanted to repeat this.... and note that it's not an "Ottawa" or necessarily a "GOFO/Chief" thing.   :nod:

Fully agree, GOFO/Chief was more under the lines of the discussions, but it's a good general leadership practice.

Never dealt with the GOFOs on the coast, but generally interact with them a lot more here (from briefings to casual chats in the coffee line). Sure it's similar in operational lines but they are a bit more insulated through the CoC structure.  Maybe it's a function of everything in Ottawa being matrixed?

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2018, 12:34:27 »
Maybe it's a function of everything in Ottawa being matrixed?
You mean a make-believe world, disconnected from reality, where your posting message doesn't come with the red pill?  :whistle:

Offline reverse_engineer

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2018, 12:44:19 »
You mean a make-believe world, disconnected from reality, where your posting message doesn't come with the red pill?  :whistle:

Between your post and signature block, one would almost think you were familiar with the NCR!  :nod:

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2018, 12:49:56 »

Reality is overrated!  Why worry about operational effectiveness when there are new pieces of flair to design, or placemats to build.  Please fill out the form and we'll get back to you in 5-10 business days*

*not a guarantee

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2018, 12:58:50 »
….one would almost think you were familiar with the NCR!  :nod:
Posted there once, and not ashamed to admit that I went crawling to a 'regimental godfather' to escape the Career Manager's pending second round.  :nod:

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 09:38:46 by mariomike »

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
An interesting article, about the US military
The US downsizing their GO/FO numbers could provide a knock-on effect for Canada.

For example, do those RMC cadets really  need a BGen?  Of course not..... but West Point, USAFA, Annapolis all have a 1-star, therefore....

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
An interesting article, about the US military,

"Congress thinks there are too many generals and flag officers holding positions in the Defense Department."

Thanks tips, or are you Capt Obvious ?  Its not like we are immune to outside influences...

The US downsizing their GO/FO numbers could provide a knock-on effect for Canada.

For example, do those RMC cadets really  need a BGen?  Of course not..... but West Point, USAFA, Annapolis all have a 1-star, therefore....

Solid questions that need to be asked.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Thanks tips, or are you Capt Obvious ? 

My intent was not to offend you. Sorry if you took it that way.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.

Strictly on 3rd-hand info, aren't the US service academies about 4-5x the number of folks than RMC?  If so, why would RMC need a 1-star even if the other Cmdts are of that rank? 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Online Old Sweat

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Strictly on 3rd-hand info, aren't the US service academies about 4-5x the number of folks than RMC?  If so, why would RMC need a 1-star even if the other Cmdts are of that rank?

About 20 years ago I took a look at our PF GOs in early 1939. Proportionally we had more then in terms of size of our permanent force, but of lesser rank. RMC was commanded by Brigadier HDG Crerar, if memory serves me.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
One can hope.

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2018, 08:31:18 »
I note the comments "if we get involved in more conflicts we need more generals"...not "we need more troops" "we need more/newer equipment" "we need more funding".

I guess the CAF sustainment plan could be called "OP Ouroboros"?

"What a f$$kin' week!" - me, every Monday at about 1130hrs.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2018, 11:13:18 »
Posting from phone

Here an interesting link:

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/11/08/number-of-generals-will-grow-says-canadas-top-soldier/

Un-freakin'-believable. This is like Canadian unions: always comparing themselves to other organizations who have a structure/pay scale most favourable to what they want.

Let's look south for a little comparison:

The U.S. Code explicitly limits the total number of four-star officers that may be on active duty at any given time. The total number of active-duty general or flag officers is capped at 231 for the Army, 162 for the Navy, 198 for the Air Force, and 62 for the Marine Corps.[10] For the Army, Marine, Navy, and Air Force, no more than about 21%[11] of each service's active-duty general or flag officers may have more than two stars,[12] and statute sets the total number of four-star officers allowed in each service.[12] This is set at 7 four-star Army generals,[12] 6 four-star Navy admirals,[12] 9 four-star Air Force generals[12] and 2 four-star Marine generals.[12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_duty_United_States_four-star_officers

and

The U.S. Army has 315 General Officers.  Generals (O-7 to O-10) comprise 0.06% of the Army. There is 1 General for every 1600 Soldiers.

The number of Generals is limited by US Code. See 10 U.S. Code § 526 - Authorized strength: general and flag officers on active duty.  The Army is authorized a total of 231 Generals.  Additionally the Secretary of Defense can authorize an additional 310 Generals or Flag Officers to serve in Joint assignments.  These slots are split between uniformed services.

https://www.quora.com/How-many-generals-are-there-in-the-US-army

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #144 on: November 11, 2018, 18:39:33 »
We will increase the number of generals while the gene pool that creates them stagnates or shrinks.  The result will be that the average quality of our generals starts to noticeably dip, and our allies will not want all these new Canadian generals at the table.