Author Topic: DEC and CIA  (Read 12303 times)

Offline GAC

• Rate Post
  • 100% CND
Re: DEC and CIA
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2018, 18:40:43 »
CIA and supplement approved. Level 3 as expected.  Are payments backdated to application date? 
What are withholds in financial benefits? taxes?

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2018, 19:34:57 »
CIA and supplement approved. Level 3 as expected.  Are payments backdated to application date? 
What are withholds in financial benefits? taxes?

Yes, it is back dated to date of application. Withholds are the taxes. You will be able to see it all in my VAC Account once they plug it in.

Offline GAC

• Rate Post
  • 100% CND
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2018, 19:38:53 »
Yes, it is back dated to date of application. Withholds are the taxes. You will be able to see it all in my VAC Account once they plug it in.

It's in myvac account but didn't understand withholds.  Got it now.  The other thing, I don't see a back pay, it should come soon I guess. But I do see added CIA and Supplement for next month.

As for next year, we won't loose the supplement and these won't be taxable if I understand well?   

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2018, 20:33:29 »
CIA won't be taxable but the supplement still will.

Offline GAC

• Rate Post
  • 100% CND
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2018, 22:23:21 »
Thanks for info

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2018, 09:28:51 »
No problem. Also review my reply #21 on page 1 which is an e-mail from VAC explaining the what and how for CIA and supplement come April.

Offline dunlop303

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2018, 06:49:59 »
I'm trying to get the appropriate benefits I. Place, and more importantly at the proper grades. I receive the CIA but at the lowest level although I have 100% rated disability via VAC. I submitted a reassessment request, and requesting the supplement. I have your refusal physical IED blasts (twice) I injuries - Spine, Pelvis ect / then the more complex stuff: Traumatic Brain Injury  , brain matter tears ect, then of course PTSD.

Unemployed frequently and currently due to my side effects.. what does it take to get the proper benefits.

Based on this should I not be receicing:

CIA level 1 with supplement

Exceptional Incapacity allowance (since I'm rated over 98%?) Any idea what level I should get based on the injuries described?

Thanks guys

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2018, 09:56:11 »
I believe EIA is for those under the old system. If your injuries are under the NVC then you won't get EIA.

Since you are getting CIA have you been deemed DEC (deminished earnings capacity)? If not ask for it and apply for the supplement if approved DEC. When you apply for the supplement you can also ask for a review of your CIA at the very least you might be moved up to level 2.

You also have to remember VAC doesn't work off of your disability rating. They go off what you can and can't do.

In my opinion you should be at a higher CIA level.

Offline dunlop303

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2018, 13:37:21 »
Thanks buddy, I was thinking the same. Just submitted the Dec a couple days back and had it redzoned. It's already in phase 3

Offline Beachexplorer

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2018, 23:20:04 »
Was declared DEC in Oct 2018,  Applied for CIA and CIAS immediately after decision of DEC.  I have just received letter denying both CIA and CIAS.  Has this ever happened to anyone?  I guess I will now have to appeal

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2018, 13:17:12 »
Was declared DEC in Oct 2018,  Applied for CIA and CIAS immediately after decision of DEC.  I have just received letter denying both CIA and CIAS.  Has this ever happened to anyone?  I guess I will now have to appeal

Did it say why it denied you? Normally there's a quick explanation as to why. It is possible they just didn't see your DEC since the applications were so close together.

If they denied on medical grounds then there is not an appeal. It is a review and you must ask for the review in writing within 60 days. Alternatively you can also just reapply for it.

I would definitely verify if they saw you were DEC when they made that decision.

Offline Steve1959

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2018, 10:21:20 »
Teager, BeachExplorer and GreenArmyChick,

I am in a situation similar to your questions and responses. I have been approved a disability benefit at 109% (NVC) with numerous consequential claims that have been approved but no percentage as I am already over 100%. All claims are of a physical nature (cancer and related consequences). I was denied CIA in January 2018 and denied a review in February 2018. I am currently unable to work due to my illness and my private insurance (not SISIP) has deemed me functionally and medically unfit and as such I am receiving LTD from this insurance company. I am on the Rehab program with VAC and last week I was deemed DEC. As such, I have re-applied for CIA and the Supplement. I have over 33 years in the military and my medical conditions don't fit the medical conditions as per the CIA definition. My medically limiting conditions are: cancer (TMJ, Sleep Apnea, Left Facial Nerve Impairment, Cervicigenic Headaches, Left Supraspinatus Tendon Tear, GRD, Lymphedema, Xerostomia, Myofascial Pain Neck, Myofascial Pain Left Shoulder, Dermatitis, Chest Wall Condt, Throat Condt, and chronic fatigue from pain medication, sleep apnea and long-term side effects from radiation therapy).As you can read numerous medical conditions not to mention life limiting. I find my CIA and Supplement situation similar to BeachExplorer's and GreenArmyChick's. Can any of you provide me with insight on how to convince VAC that I am deserving of CIA and the Supplement? Your pro's and con's would be greatly appreciated.

Steve1959

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2018, 10:54:39 »
Steve, the CIA is based off of how limiting your conditions are on your daily life. So if the above hampers your ability to do daily things and those conditions are connected to your VAC claims then it shouldn't be a far reach for CIA. Did VAC say why you were denied CIA in the denial letter?

Do you have a case manager? If so I would ask them for so help or see if they can explain why you have been denied. If you know why you have been denied it can make it clearer as to how to possibly get it the next go around. Some have had denials just due to wording by there doctors.

Offline Steve1959

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2018, 11:12:46 »
Teager,

When I was denied CIA (and CIA review) in January/February 2018 it was because I didn't meet the "time remaining" in the military component of CIA, nor did I meet the medical component of CIA (blind, amputee, etc). I figure that since I am now DEC with the numerous medical conditions that preclude me from working then I might have a chance at CIA and the Supplement. Better off trying then wishing I did.

Steve

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2018, 15:59:59 »
You can definitely fight on the grounds of medical limitations. The time remaining is the part that could be problematic. I'm not sure but I think you need to get CIA before you can get the supplement. So if they still don't give you CIA due to the time requirement then that will squash the supplement.

Come April 1 the time requirement is being removed so you would get over that hurdle but the downside is the supplement will be gone then.

It's an interesting case you have and one that's very unfair with the changes coming. I would contact the Ombudsman though and see if they can offer any assistance with your case.

Offline Steve1959

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2018, 20:35:48 »
Thanks Teager. I will be contacting the Ombudsman for their input. Notwithstanding, I don't think that the CIA policy was written for veterans with medical issues such as mine. C'est la vie.

Steve

Offline GAC

• Rate Post
  • 100% CND
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2018, 08:35:23 »
I think it has to do with time remaining, as in if career was cut short off 25 years.  From what I understand, if completed 25 years in service, one cannot be eligible for CIA.  That's the way I read it on the VAC site anyways.

Offline Beachexplorer

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2018, 19:58:16 »
I was declared DEC in Oct and applied for CIAS and CIA. I was denied CIA as I had 30 years in and didn’t meet all the prerequisites (amputation etc as was outlined above) so of course because I don’t have CIA, CIAS was too denied (even though DEC). Have to wait for claim for mental health to get approved so I can reapply for CIA and see if it will help my case.  But of course nothing will happen soon and will miss my chance to apply for CIAS as it will not be avail for those who want to apply for it come 1 Apr 19

Offline Steve1959

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2018, 09:37:44 »
Thanks for the GreenArmyChick and BeachExplorer. Much appreciated. I am not expecting to be approved for CIA, but, I had to try to put this to rest once and for all.

Steve1959

Offline Arty Sim

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2018, 15:06:10 »
I was wondering if others here would be interested in commenting - I have had numerous injuries over decades, both physical and mental.Though I was aware of how to file a disability claim I did not know about things like CIA,ELB,DEC nor did my Case Manager ever bring them up to me in a discussion. I found out about them about 2 years back, but was under the impression a veteran had to be 100% totally demolished before they could even apply let alone be granted any of this compensation. In another discussion veterans had posted that their CM had filed on their behalf declaration of DEC based on their PTSD %, with some as low as 35%...and they were granted DEC status. For years my PTSD % has been above that(let alone my physical %), but no CM ever said I was a good candidate , I ask are there others here who have been labeled DEC for their PTSD and if so what was your % at the time of application?, although I know the humiliation and low self esteem that comes with being told you may never work a normal job again, I still can`t help but feel like I`ve been short changed.?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 16:35:47 by Arty Sim »

Offline Steve1959

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2018, 18:20:33 »
Arty Sim,

Send a VAC message on your VAC account asking your CM to request a DEC consideration for you. Go over the DEC policy and ensure you paint a clear picture to your CM on your total physical and mental limitations. Describe everything, don't leave anything out. While you are at it, request that your CM advance an ELB and CIA application on your behalf, or, simply apply yourself. Are you on VAC Rehab or have you been? ELB and DEC require VAC Rehab. If you aren't on VAC Rehab, again, you can talk to your CM about this. Your personal situation/medical limitations may have never been properly conveyed to your CM or he/she never spoke to you in-depth on your condition and what you may be entitled to. Don't hesitate contact your CM soonest.

Steve1959

Offline upandatom

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2018, 13:17:51 »
It was explained to me that you also have to be involved in a Rehab program,
Which is a hurdle for you from what I can see.

You have to be enrolled in a Rehab program that addresses one or more of the medical concerns.
In my case, I am under it for PTSD which is why the lowest grade was applied, and we are attempting to get the Rehab program for my hearing to be included in my CIA, which would increase the grade level,

Problem is, for some Medical conditions, they do not have or implement a Rehab program (Hearing is one of them, because there is no way to repair the hearing, we are attempting a different approach to get the Rehab program as I require to hear for my employment, and I will have to be retrained, and the only way to do that is to be on the Rehab program.) With that, both conditions woul qualify for Grade 2 CIA, apparently, but they also do not have an official CIA grading format anymore.
I am McLovin

Offline Arty Sim

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2018, 14:57:46 »
It was explained to me that you also have to be involved in a Rehab program,
Which is a hurdle for you from what I can see.

You have to be enrolled in a Rehab program that addresses one or more of the medical concerns.
In my case, I am under it for PTSD which is why the lowest grade was applied, and we are attempting to get the Rehab program for my hearing to be included in my CIA, which would increase the grade level,

Problem is, for some Medical conditions, they do not have or implement a Rehab program (Hearing is one of them, because there is no way to repair the hearing, we are attempting a different approach to get the Rehab program as I require to hear for my employment, and I will have to be retrained, and the only way to do that is to be on the Rehab program.) With that, both conditions woul qualify for Grade 2 CIA, apparently, but they also do not have an official CIA grading format anymore.
Thanks, I was focusing totally on my PTSD %, but you’re telling that in an application for CIA grades and DEC I should include my other injuries like hearing, back ,arm, I just assumed VAC had all that information in my file and would take that into consideration automatically. I already did a rehab program about 20 years ago.

Offline upandatom

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2018, 15:05:07 »
Thanks, I was focusing totally on my PTSD %, but you’re telling that in an application for CIA grades and DEC I should include my other injuries like hearing, back ,arm, I just assumed VAC had all that information in my file and would take that into consideration automatically. I already did a rehab program about 20 years ago.

Yeah it was news to me until recently as well, there has to be a rehab program in play for you to be able to get the CIA, the more disabilities applied to the CIA, which is basically your daily living, for me

1. Driving,
2. Social sitauations
3. rage, anxiety, stress

is why i have the first grade, however add in lack of hearing, would put it to the second grade as its a second disability.

I am McLovin

Offline Arty Sim

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2018, 16:10:58 »
Yeah it was news to me until recently as well, there has to be a rehab program in play for you to be able to get the CIA, the more disabilities applied to the CIA, which is basically your daily living, for me

1. Driving,
2. Social sitauations
3. rage, anxiety, stress

is why i have the first grade, however add in lack of hearing, would put it to the second grade as its a second disability.
I`m new to all of this , I think the rehab program I did was through ltd/sissip , I dont know if thats the same as VAC? how bad would your hearing have to be to be considered a disability, past 5%? or much greater, same goes for back and and arm injuries, if a vet was 5% lumbar, 5% cervical, 5% arm these seem low but they do affect a veterans quality of life ? But I just live with them and ignore complaining about them to vac about what I may or may not be entitled to,