Author Topic: DEC and CIA  (Read 14083 times)

Offline upandatom

• Rate Post
Re: DEC and CIA
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2018, 16:14:53 »
I`m new to all of this , I think the rehab program I did was through ltd/sissip , I dont know if thats the same as VAC? how bad would your hearing have to be to be considered a disability, past 5%? or much greater, same goes for back and and arm injuries, if a vet was 5% lumbar, 5% cervical, 5% arm these seem low but they do affect a veterans quality of life ? But I just live with them and ignore complaining about them to vac about what I may or may not be entitled to,

IT has to be considered a Severe and Permanent disability, which for hearing is above the 300 DSHL threshold, which I am (after this weeks Audiogram,) is 375, I was 320 in april, seems between 20-60 every 6 months to a year when I am in.

Decibel Sum Hearing loss, The instructions for reading the audiogram are on the Table of disabilities.

I am McLovin

Offline Arty Sim

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2018, 19:00:39 »
IT has to be considered a Severe and Permanent disability, which for hearing is above the 300 DSHL threshold, which I am (after this weeks Audiogram,) is 375, I was 320 in april, seems between 20-60 every 6 months to a year when I am in.

Decibel Sum Hearing loss, The instructions for reading the audiogram are on the Table of disabilities.
what would sever be in percentages for hearing alone, I mean my hearing loss might be 1 % it`s not actioned on yet, Tinnitus is probably 5-10%, then I think there is an added 1 % for QOL, it sucks but I wouldn`t classsify it as debilitating

Offline upandatom

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2018, 21:46:20 »
what would sever be in percentages for hearing alone, I mean my hearing loss might be 1 % it`s not actioned on yet, Tinnitus is probably 5-10%, then I think there is an added 1 % for QOL, it sucks but I wouldn`t classsify it as debilitating

Severe and permanent is 300 DSHL or higher,
I am McLovin

Offline Arty Sim

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2019, 17:09:33 »
Arty Sim,

Send a VAC message on your VAC account asking your CM to request a DEC consideration for you. Go over the DEC policy and ensure you paint a clear picture to your CM on your total physical and mental limitations. Describe everything, don't leave anything out. While you are at it, request that your CM advance an ELB and CIA application on your behalf, or, simply apply yourself. Are you on VAC Rehab or have you been? ELB and DEC require VAC Rehab. If you aren't on VAC Rehab, again, you can talk to your CM about this. Your personal situation/medical limitations may have never been properly conveyed to your CM or he/she never spoke to you in-depth on your condition and what you may be entitled to. Don't hesitate contact your CM soonest.

Steve1959
I read about some vets who have an "awesome" Case Manager, and others say their CM is a different "A" word. Where do you go when you suggest to your CM that you would like to apply for DEC status, but the CM refuses to help?. You can apply for REHAB and CIA on your own but a recommendation for DEC has to come from your CM. Is that within their power to outright refuse to help their client, shouldnt they just submit the paperwork and let VAC adjudicators decide if I`m a candidate or not?

Offline upandatom

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2019, 16:51:41 »
I read about some vets who have an "awesome" Case Manager, and others say their CM is a different "A" word. Where do you go when you suggest to your CM that you would like to apply for DEC status, but the CM refuses to help?. You can apply for REHAB and CIA on your own but a recommendation for DEC has to come from your CM. Is that within their power to outright refuse to help their client, shouldnt they just submit the paperwork and let VAC adjudicators decide if I`m a candidate or not?

I have had both,
The first one removed me from Rehab program, without having a Psych or proper treatment plan in place, she was a real C, although she did help with CIA for my PTSD which is the Permanent and Severe category. From what I understand, it was pretty much a given though.

MY current one, after reapplying, is working her *** off so I can get on the Rehab program for my hearing, which in my line of work is absolutely required. Rehab for hearing is usually not allowed because there is not a way to fix it, yes I have hearing aids and a masking device, however, I am above 300 DSHL and dropping, which I have to be able to hear customers on the phone. AT my point right now, that is getting tricky. So trying to get a rehab program for my hearing will be focused on retraining me for gainful employment where it is not such a requirement.

They still have to check boxes that would put you in CIA zone, has to be considered Permanent and Severe, as well as Job Affecting.
Some are-
Permanent and Severe,
ENrolled in an approved Rehab program for that condition,
Effects on Day to day
Effects on Employment.

This is where the new APSC is a bonus, it doesnt rely on your Income, it just looks at your Permanent and Severe categories, and from there you get grade 1/2/3.
I am McLovin

Offline Arty Sim

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2019, 10:44:05 »
i
interesting.  CM working on DEC now. I just got a call from CVVRS saying I am not able to be gainfully employed. The DEC process almost completed.  My CM just applied for me for the CIA not long ago. looks like DEC may be done before CIA. I don't see anywhere that the CIA must be in place before DEC.
So CVVRS got your file from VAC and just made decision you are DEC and phoned you with that result? You never first had to meet with a CVVRS rep and do any physical/mental testing to see where you are at?

Offline Arty Sim

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2019, 10:49:10 »
I have had both,
The first one removed me from Rehab program, without having a Psych or proper treatment plan in place, she was a real C, although she did help with CIA for my PTSD which is the Permanent and Severe category. From what I understand, it was pretty much a given though.

MY current one, after reapplying, is working her *** off so I can get on the Rehab program for my hearing, which in my line of work is absolutely required. Rehab for hearing is usually not allowed because there is not a way to fix it, yes I have hearing aids and a masking device, however, I am above 300 DSHL and dropping, which I have to be able to hear customers on the phone. AT my point right now, that is getting tricky. So trying to get a rehab program for my hearing will be focused on retraining me for gainful employment where it is not such a requirement.

They still have to check boxes that would put you in CIA zone, has to be considered Permanent and Severe, as well as Job Affecting.
Some are-
Permanent and Severe,
ENrolled in an approved Rehab program for that condition,
Effects on Day to day
Effects on Employment.

This is where the new APSC is a bonus, it doesnt rely on your Income, it just looks at your Permanent and Severe categories, and from there you get grade 1/2/3.
So are you currently now DEC, did CVVRS contact you directly or just read your VAC file and make a recommendation back to VAC without directly involving you

Offline GAC

• Rate Post
  • 100% CND
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2019, 12:29:18 »
So CVVRS got your file from VAC and just made decision you are DEC and phoned you with that result? You never first had to meet with a CVVRS rep and do any physical/mental testing to see where you are at?

I had to do the mental and physical testing from march of dimes before all of this.  2 days physical and 1 day mental.

Offline GAC

• Rate Post
  • 100% CND
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2019, 13:27:31 »

Where do you get the info about Severe and Permanent disability numbers for hearing loss?
How do you calculate the DSHL?  I have a feeling didn't get the proper reassessment on my last hearing test. I have the results but don't know how to look and calculate them.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 10:55:17 by GreenArmychick »

Offline GAC

• Rate Post
  • 100% CND
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2019, 07:25:09 »
Another question on DEC/CIA

Can one be 100% combined disabilities, both systems and not be DEC or CIA?

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2019, 09:34:50 »
Another question on DEC/CIA

Can one be 100% combined disabilities, both systems and not be DEC or CIA?

Yes. Your rating has no bearing on the criteria for CIA and DEC.

Offline Arty Sim

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2019, 10:54:12 »
I had to do the mental and physical testing from march of dimes before all of this.  2 days physical and 1 day mental.
physical, I can understand but what kind of mental testing can they do to assess your level of PTSD.?

Offline GAC

• Rate Post
  • 100% CND
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2019, 11:08:20 »
a bunch of tests, I don't understand them, just go through them and they analyse them I guess.

Offline corporalcannabis

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2019, 21:09:52 »
Going in for my DEC appt with the shrink next week. CM asked if I was on LTD from an outside source? Yes Iam, how does this make a difference either way? Do I need to get off my LTD(quit my job) before applying for DEC? Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, looked up the policy on DEC, saying nothing reference this.  ???

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2019, 09:26:03 »
Going in for my DEC appt with the shrink next week. CM asked if I was on LTD from an outside source? Yes Iam, how does this make a difference either way? Do I need to get off my LTD(quit my job) before applying for DEC? Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, looked up the policy on DEC, saying nothing reference this.  ???

DEC means you are unable to make 66.6% of your prerelease salary. So if you are employed and making that or more you would be denied. You need to be on LTD as that indicates you are permanently disabled/unable to work.

Offline prairefire

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2019, 01:52:35 »
I was approved for CIA in January. In February my case manager scheduled me for DEC assessment and Last week it was approved.
My CM told me to apply for CIA supplement which I did. With all the changes on April 1 what is likely to happen?

I was told my CIA level may go to 2 but the supplement will be gone on 1 April..................Something does not make sense to me

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2019, 07:12:16 »
I was approved for CIA in January. In February my case manager scheduled me for DEC assessment and Last week it was approved.
My CM told me to apply for CIA supplement which I did. With all the changes on April 1 what is likely to happen?

I was told my CIA level may go to 2 but the supplement will be gone on 1 April..................Something does not make sense to me

If you get the supplement it will be grandfathered in after April 1st. Your CIA will switch over to the new APSC level which will be tax free. Level 1 is $1500 level 2 is $1000 and level 3 is $500 so if you are a level 2 CIA you will get level 2 APSC.