Author Topic: Military looks at foreign recruits to boost ranks  (Read 5760 times)

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: Military looks at foreign recruits to boost ranks
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2018, 05:52:05 »
The US Army doesnt allow for career captains.So officers who do not get promoted after 2 tries generally are released depending on the needs of the service.The link provided explains the process.

http://dopma-ropma.rand.org/failure-of-selection-for-promotion.html

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2018, 04:16:38 »
CBC opinion article:

The Canadian Armed Forces recently said that in the interest of boosting ranks, it is considering changing its requirement that recruits have Canadian citizenship — a policy that many assumed to be longstanding.

In fact, the longstanding practice in our military has been to enroll non-citizens. It has long been part of our military tradition. If it had not been, I wouldn't be here writing this column...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/caf-citizenship-1.4687823?cmp=FB_Post_News
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2018, 04:43:18 »
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 05:08:37 by George Wallace »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2018, 08:03:56 »
Americans do it.

France as well

In America's case they are allowed to join but their career is severely restricted until they become citizens, no overseas deployments, not allowed to have a security clearance among others.

So are we talking throwing open the doors on foreign recruiting and having a recruiting bus on the US/Quebec border? So why can't they join, be vetted while they complete basic and on completion be given some sort of citizenship course and on completion become full members of the forces and citizens?
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2018, 08:29:50 »
The training system isn't recruitings problem.

While they are separate systems, to us, to new members who spent X months or years languishing in some PAT or OJT positions, the combined effect of spending long times both in the recruiting and training systems/processes have to be both individual and combined dissatisfiers. 

I think, to a certain extent anyways, there is no real benefit to enrolling more people into the CAF thru the recruiting system if the trg system can't handle the influx.  If either one takes too long, some potentially excellent people will eventually walk away and that benefits no one.  In a way it comes down to a 'quantity vs quality' issue;  are we interested in the #s of "sworn in members of the CAF [CFRG focus]" or "CAF members at TES/OFP"[Trg system focus].

:2c:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 08:35:39 by Eye In The Sky »
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2018, 10:29:21 »
We’ve been doing this for a while now.  I know a few ex-RAF ACSOs who have joined the RCAF after their MPA was turned into razor blades

However, I was told the stream for ex-RAF (or any other nation for that matter) NCMs isn’t as friendly.  I guess it’s about to change, however, it’s too late.

We (specifically AES Ops) missed the boat  and now with every respectable nation bringing the P8 online, we could potentially lose a few qualified Canadians to the RAF, RNZAF or even the RAAF.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2018, 11:06:23 »
Why are we looking for ACSOs overseas? Plenty of underemployed baristas in Canada we could recruit...
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2018, 11:18:47 »
Why are we looking for ACSOs overseas? Plenty of underemployed baristas in Canada we could recruit...

Please. Barista is a skilled occupation.

Now, if, hypothetically, we were talking about hiring Logistics Officers, well- a trip to the nearest Walmart and poaching their shelf stockers would about do the trick, right?

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2018, 11:21:50 »
Please.

Wal-Mart expects productivity from its workers, which disqualifies them from being Log Os.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2018, 11:22:54 »
Touché.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2018, 11:48:30 »

The experience levels are somewhat different; we didn't (to my knowledge) take an 'off the street recruit from the UK', they were all RAF Officers.  The ones who've come over (to our LRP fleet) had XXXX hours experience on mainly the Nimrod but other fleets as well. 

We've already lost good folks 'back' to the RAF now that their P8 is coming close to being a reality...I don't know if I'd jump ship to the RAF but I've said numerous times I'd not hesitate to do an exchange/OUTCAN to Lossie for...the remainder of my time to CRA.  333 Sqn would be another great one (not because of the awesome hiking and outdoor stuff  :Tin-Foil-Hat:).

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2018, 13:00:29 »
We've already lost good folks 'back' to the RAF now that their P8 is coming close to being a reality...I don't know if I'd jump ship to the RAF but I've said numerous times I'd not hesitate to do an exchange/OUTCAN to Lossie for...the remainder of my time to CRA.  333 Sqn would be another great one (not because of the awesome hiking and outdoor stuff  :Tin-Foil-Hat:).

Well, Andoya is an isolated place so folks from Greenwood would feel right at home  ;)

And Baristas need people skills, so there goes a good half of the ACSO trade there.

We (specifically AES Ops) missed the boat  and now with every respectable nation bringing the P8 online, we could potentially lose a few qualified Canadians to the RAF, RNZAF or even the RAAF.

What do you mean "could"?  I'm guessing the reason why people aren't leaving to the RAAF is b/c they aren't looking for ACSO/AESOP at this time.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2018, 13:23:33 »
https://www.defencecareers.mil.nz/reenlist-overseas/overseas-applicants/roles/

AES Ops and ACSOs might be able to go to the RNZAF.

https://airforce.defencejobs.gov.au/joining/can-I-join/citizenship/overseas-applicants

Possibly the RAAF as well for some Officers;  not Airman vacancies at this time.